Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Me again. My golden's been with us for three days now. Aside from potty problem, i have other concerns. Happy doesnt seem to respond when we call her by her name. We should do other things like clapping just to get her attention. Is this normal? Any suggestion to adress this? Thanks in advance.

·
Playful Pup
95 Posts
If she's just a puppy still, she's going to need time to learn her new name, just like a human baby would. It took my Bailey a few weeks before he learned his name and every other nickname I'd given him during that time. :D Just be consistent, use it often when you play with her, or take her out to pee, or feed her, or whatever, and she'll learn it soon enough.

·
Beware of Nestle Purina
5,727 Posts
They have to learn their name. How many human kids do you know that don't know their names and they have had years to learn it!!

May this be your biggest puppy issue.

Make a game out of it like others have suggested.

·
Registered
3,645 Posts
Puppies are not born knowing the human languages. They watch our body language a lot and start to associate different signals we do often with the words we say. Playing fun games such as calling the puppy to you both with the name and the clapping with a great reward when the puppy gets to you will help them learn to associate their name. An easy game is to put their kibble behind your back say the puppies name and then give a piece of kibble. This is called classical conditioning and the pup will learn that when you say the pups name good things happen.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.