Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone! I have a new AKC golden puppy and want to know how/where I get him checked to see if he will be show quality?

·
Registered
33,267 Posts
Welcome to the forum. The best place to start would be to go to shows and watch. Talk to people about how to get started with training, pick up some pointers and find out who the best trainer in your area is.

It will all start with puppy classes, of course. In addition to how you dog looks, conformation wise, he also has to have the attitude to 'show' himself in the ring. Without that, it won't matter how handsome he is.

We'd love to see some pictures.

·
Registered
4,761 Posts
Welcome! We'd love to hear more about you and see pictures of your dog (maybe with pictures some of the more show-savy people here could give you some preliminary opinions)! In addition, I would second the idea of getting involved in the doggy world - go to shows, attend obedience training, etc - if you do want to show this will be a vital step anyways and if you don't end up showing, it is still great experience and training will improve your dog as a pet as well! Good luck!

·
Kate
21,688 Posts
Your breeder is your first person to talk to... besides the conformation quality, there is also the matter of papers. If your pup was sold to you with limited registration, you have to have that switched to full if you want to show conformation.

If your breeder was like my guy's breeder (does not show or compete, etc) then yep... I agree with Penny's Mom. But my way of doing it probably would be contacting the local golden retriever clubs for advice - as to where to train, which shows to go watch, and so forth. If you want to show in conformation or obedience or agility - puppy classes and obedience classes after that are a must for socialization. :)

Good luck<:

·
Registered
7,496 Posts
The best thing to do is ask your breeder. Do they show their dogs in conformation? Were either parent an AKC Champion?

There is a lot to consider when deciding if a puppy is show quality. I'm just beginning to learn and it is complicated, so that is why I suggest speaking with someone more familiar with the breed standard. Even a professional handler that shows primarily goldens would be a good idea (think Cortney Corral, she's in your area).

If you care to share your location, we could refer you to the local GR club. Do you have a K9data link?

·
Tracer, Rumor & Cady
10,683 Posts
Im not sure that is correct.... <see bold>
It would make sense to have Full registration because the dogs in conformation are competing as breed stock and must be intact for the regular classes...but IM not sure it is an AKC requirement.

Your breeder is your first person to talk to... besides the conformation quality, there is also the matter of papers. If your pup was sold to you with limited registration, you have to have that switched to full if you want to show conformation.

If your breeder was like my guy's breeder (does not show or compete, etc) then yep... I agree with Penny's Mom. But my way of doing it probably would be contacting the local golden retriever clubs for advice - as to where to train, which shows to go watch, and so forth. If you want to show in conformation or obedience or agility - puppy classes and obedience classes after that are a must for socialization. :)

Good luck<:

·
Registered
7,937 Posts
Absolutely need full registration to show in conformation...you can still show in obedience,etc. I second what everyone else has said.. check with your breeder, contact breed clubs, find a mentor... Most pups that will be shown are sold as show potential, but things can and do change...

Reactions: LibertyME

·
Kate
21,688 Posts
Absolutely need full registration to show in conformation...you can still show in obedience,etc. I second what everyone else has said.. check with your breeder, contact breed clubs, find a mentor... Most pups that will be shown are sold as show potential, but things can and do change...
^ Yep.

I think I read on Hotel4Dogs's thread that her Tito was purchased with limited registration. It was while she was taking obedience classes that people really pushed her to get him into conformation. And she had to go back to the breeder to change the registration.

That story stood out to me because I had a similar experience with my guy and breeder/show people I attend obedience classes with who love my dog. Except in my case, I know my dog's hips and thyroid would make conformation a waste of money because he can't be bred. Thankfully, conformation isn't my deal... :wave:

·
Registered
3,515 Posts
Yep you have to have full registration to show conformation in AKC. I have my AKC pup BaWaaJige and I wont get full registration until I put a title on him. I am showing him in conformation at UKC shows( my breeders knows). With my breeder none of their dogs have ever been shown in conformation. They are all field dogs.

·
Registered
21 Posts
craftiquenmore,

You probably already know this but if not, "intact" means he has not been, and will not be, neutered.

·
Tracer, Rumor & Cady
10,683 Posts
Finally found it:
"A dog registered with an AKC Limited Registration shall be ineligible to be entered in a breed competition in a licensed or member dog show. It is eligible, however, to be entered in any other licensed or member event. These events include: Obedience, Tracking, Field Trials, Hunting Tests, Herding, Lure Coursing, Agility and Earthdog."

1 - 11 of 11 Posts