Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good day to all.

Got my first golden, Anjie, yesterday. im not really got with dogs but i tried to read articles and books before picking up Anjie from the breeder. have a few problems though. i cant seem to apply the theories ive read especially on potty training. Anjie has been relieving on the floor and inside her crate since yesterday and although ive been bringing her to the spot where i want her to relieve, she doesnt seem to get it. by the way, i live in a condo unit that is why i decided to buy a big tray and cover that with newspaper.

need help. badly. hope to meet new friends too.

·
Registered
14,284 Posts
set a timer and take her out every 15 minutes
clean up her oopsies with something like Nature's Miracle
make sure her crate isn't too big, should be room for her to turn around and settle
that's all I can think of right now

·
Registered
3,515 Posts
Hi and welcome.

First off Anjie is a baby and babies go to the bathroom alot. You need to take her outside as soon as she is up from a nap, before eating after eating, during play time. When I think back on it I pretty sure I had Jige outside every 15 minutes to 20minutes to start with.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thanks. my crate's similar to that the breeder was using. its wired and has a litter tray underneath. Anjie pees whether she is inside or outside of the crate. when i would catch her and stop her midstream, i would bring her to the comfort room where i had a bigger tray laden with newspaper. but she just sits there. when i bring her in again inside the room, she starts to pee again. im really having a hard time.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Hello rhysmichael,

Hang in there. It will get better. I felt like I was cleaning up after my puppy Thunder every hour for first week. I constantly monitored where he was and what he was doing. He was reliving himself anywhere at first, then he was relieving himself in a hallway, so I took him to outside when I saw him going to the hallway. I had him in a crate if I couldn't watch him. He now is a 4 months old, and I don't remember when he had an accident last time. :) I would say it took him 3 weeks to have a non-accident day. I had rescue dogs for a while and forgot that a puppy will act like a puppy, but it is well worth to raise my own puppy. Your Golden puppy is smart so she will get it on her time.

·
Golden Lover
440 Posts
It is more difficult when you live in a hi-rise. Every time you want your pup to go try taking her to the tray and just wait for a few minutes. You might call a name for what you want her to do. Some people say "go potty", some say "hurry up", etc. You have to keep your eye on her all the time to see, if you can see her smelling around the floor. Be sure to clean up any potty accidents on the floor or her crate with "nature's miracle" or something similar so the smell won't linger. If you have her in your bedroom at night, you may hear her whine or make some noise, take her to her spot and tell her to go potty.
It may be easier if you can take her outside to potty, because she will soon get to big to potty on the tray and may be confused as to where she is supposed to go.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks. Its her third day with us. And it seems to me that ive not dooing antything anymore other than clean her mess. Ive had a few little success lately in having her pee in the tray where she is supposed to pee and relieve herself but accidents on the floor still happen. This morning she pooped on the designated place but just this lunch when i was about to leave, she moved her bowels inside her crate.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi, I am new to this site, we have a seven month old Golden Retriever who will not go into the water, we take him to the beach and he will go to the waters edge and as the waves come in he jumps back, even tried going in and encouraging him to follow me but he just barked and got excited but wouldn't join me in the water. We have got him to go through shallow sea water pools but he gets really spooked. Any ideas please? We bathed him in the garden the other week, while he enjoyed the shampooing part he bolted when the hose came out, in the end we had to ladle water from a bucket while holding him firmly. It appears he has a fear of water. Please help.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts