Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good day to all. Got my first golden, Happy, three days ago. Seems to me, everythings not going my way. First, she pees andrelieves herself inside and outside her crate. Although ive had allocated a big tray where she can pee. When i bring her there, she just sits. And once i place her inside the crate or puts her down the floor, she pees. Help! Im becoming desperate.

·
Registered
7,496 Posts
This is a young puppy. You need to teach her what is correct. Are you in an apartment building and is that the reason you're using a potty tray? Are you using any food rewards when she does potty on or near the potty tray? How often are you feeding her? Does she have free access to water? How often do you take her to the potty pad?

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yup. Im living in a condo. Thats why i decided to papertrain instead. I feed her three times a day. There are occasions when she relieves herself in the proper area. But there are times, many times in fact, when she does it in an area where she shouldnt. Any suggestions to improve her training? Thanks

·
Registered
13,236 Posts
A really young puppy has to go out a LOT. Like, everytime she wakes up. After playing for a bit. After drinking and eating. You have to impose a schedule on her, rather than wait for her. You have to bring her to where you want her to pee - not let her find it. Also, have you thoroughly cleaned the crate and floor where she is peeing? If you're not using an enzyme cleaner, the traces of the scent will remain, and she will pee there again. If you don;t have a good enzyme cleaner, water-vinegar can help, too. Clean up the accident, then spray and let it soak for at least five minutes before wiping it up.

Reactions: rhysmichael

·
Beware of Nestle Purina
5,727 Posts
Whenever I have had a young puppy it seems like I spend 90% of my day focused on them relieving themselves outside and not some place else.

Reactions: Gwen_Dandridge

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi, im new to here..about 16yrs ago we aquired a yr. Old golden..he drove me crazy...he would pee an poo in his cage an lay in it,every morning i would wake up to this mess an would have to give him a bath..in 3 months i had to buy 2 couches because hed jump up on them an pee..i wanted to kill him..oh an he was out all the time. When he woke up,after eating,after playing after drinking water,before we went to bed an any time i thought about it inbetween all that. I was a stay at home mom so its not like i put him in a cage an left for 8hrs a day...soooo after buying the 2nd couch an wanting to kill (being sarcastic) him, by chance i met a girl who trained dogs..she told me to not use his cage as a punishment but to put it in the livingroom, always leave the door open for him to come an go and only close the door when i couldnt have my eyes on him an to continue doing as i was with putting him out but put a leash on him an hook it around my anckle an where i went he went....i thought she was crazy! I had a 6month daughter to keep up with an my normal daily duties an now u want me to attach a dog to my anckle? It took about a week but all of a sudden this lightbalb went off in his head an he just got it an ended up being one of the best dogs we had...i dont agree with the paper training or all the gagits they have for training a dog or puppy an before u ask ive had puppies an dogs.....an for my golden i have now i didnt have to do that but for my old golden thats just what worked for him......just a suggestion!.good luck:)

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

1 - 7 of 7 Posts