Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there! I adopted a one year old golden retriever about one month ago! the owner said he needed a home as she was gone all day and she lived in a small apartment! he has basic obedience sits, lays, shakes, ect.. but it seems the more comfortable he gets with us the more 'sassy' he is! He will mouth my hand to stop me putting on his leash, he will run away instead of go outside! He has hyper moments and he will not settle, we have 3 kittens and he plays TOO rough. Tonight I had a treat in hand and told him to sit and he layed down! He KNEW what he was doing! SOmetimes He will refuse to take the treat!! Other times he is GOOD as gold! We all love him! (I have 3 kids!) I run with him every night! My son is home with him during the afternoons and walks him! WE have a a large backyard where he stays when we are gone! He sleeps in the kitchen at night! I do not crate him because he was crated SO much in a kennel TOO small! Should I crate him? I know he thinks he is boss! HOw do I take back control, not sometimes BUT always???
thankyou!!!

·
Registered
246 Posts
Training, Training, Training.

You have to take control and teach him what you expect from him.

As long as he is in charge you won't correct this.

I had a similar problem and just spent some time teaching Kelso what I wanted.

Now it's a no brainer.

Good luck.

·
& Romeo's mom
731 Posts
He is still a puppy, especially in his mind. You will have to establish dominance, in a positive way. You may want to consider a training class.

I definitely think you should leave him inside when you are gone whether you cordon off a room or use a crate. The temps here in Florida are absolutely unbearable. Seriously.

Good luck!

·
Angel Gage's Grandma
8,017 Posts
Make him work for everything: his meals, attention, everything. Look up NILIF (Nothing in Life is Free). I'm sure others on this forum can offer you some good suggestions, as what you describe doesn't sound at all atypical for a golden the age of yours.

·
Registered
12,189 Posts
Check out the program It's me or the Dog (Victoria Stilwell). She is a wonderful trainer and her methods are easy to follow. The program is on Animal Planet.

·
2 goldens and a BMD
841 Posts
I'd suggest taking an obedience class with him. Yes, he's been through it before, but he hasn't been through it with you. He's also at that age where he needs a reminder of what he already knows. It would be a great bonding experience for him with your family.

·
16,000 Posts
I'd suggest taking an obedience class with him. Yes, he's been through it before, but he hasn't been through it with you. He's also at that age where he needs a reminder of what he already knows. It would be a great bonding experience for him with your family.
Exactly the same advice that I would give. You need to learn how to work together.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
thanks for the advice!
as to the inside/outside I agree about the temps! We have a room that is shaded and cool but open to the outside .. so he is not in the heat. But we will run into the same thing in the winter! So I will look into a crate! :)
I have struggled to find obedience classes I think I am looking in the wrong places!
thanks again!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts