Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello Everyone!

I have found this site hoping someone can offer their expert advice. I just purchased a Golden retriever puppy about 2 weeks ago. Brand new to the purebred world, I researched and visited various breeders within a 200 mile radius. In the end, I thought I had lucked out in finding a caring, reputable breeder.

While trying to rationalize spending anywhere from $1200-$2000 on an English Creme puppy, this breeder introduced the idea of breeding the pup myself later when it was old enough.

(I know, I know, I have no business even considering breeding since I know virtually nothing about Goldens or the dog world. But, let me assure all of you Golden lovers out there, I would never try to breed my Baby without all clearances, a mentor, proper education, training and as much experience as I could rack up.)

I decided on a female puppy. Throughout the picking out process I did ask many, many questions about breeding, some of which related directly to the possibility of using one of the other, unrelated males for studding or the purchase of a new puppy sometime in the future.

The breeder offered for me to buy the puppy on limited registration and then later, after some thought and discussion, the option to come back and pay an additional $500 and the limited status would be overturned.

This is written in handwriting on the purchase contract.

But now, it's turned into a nauseating mess. Once I informed her that we would not be purchasing a new male from an upcoming litter but instead would like to go ahead and purchase the full rights for $500, he/she informed me that no, I could not purchase them for $500. The full rights were now $1000 because he/she had discounted the rights based on the assumption I would pay studding fees later or purchase another puppy from him/her/them.

What do I do? There was absolutely no stipulation verbal, written or otherwise that linked the price of buying full rights with that of a guarantee of future business.

On the contract, it is written in her/his handwriting that AKC can be overturned at a later date paying the difference of $500.

I'm not even sure I want to or can breed our puppy. She's way too young to even get clearances. How in the world does this breeder expect me to guarantee future business?

At this point, I just want to pay the original agreed upon amount, have the breeding option, cut ties, and go on loving my girl.

Any suggestions??? Thanks in advance. Just trying to get this yucky feeling out of my tummy.

·
Registered
3,515 Posts
WOW I have not heard of a breeder requesting you buy an unrelated dog at a later date to get full registration for a female you prchased. Seems a bit underhanded but then I am new to this dog world too ( have done rescuesfor 30+ yrs BaWaaJige is my first purebred dog). I think I would contact AKC and ask then if she can do what she says or is the hand written note good enough. I supose this breeder could always say she didnt write that note.

I wish you luck.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes, that's just it. I was not under the impression the original purchase of our first puppy had anything to do financially with the possibility of future business. I have been told to go to small claims, but I just hate to go down that road, it's just not my style, I hate conflict.
Can a court, if they decide in my favor, require her to turn over the rights for the agreed price?

·
Banned
1,586 Posts
I would contact the AKC because what this person is attempting to do is actually against the rules.

*EDIT*

And the fact that you have it in writing makes it allll the much better.

·
Golden Enthusiast
24 Posts
Anything you have in writing and both of you have signed is considered a legally binding contract. You could take them to court and you will win, but no one likes going down that road. I would bring it up to them that you are considering going the legal route if they do not go ahead with the agreed upon contract. Good luck and if it doesn't work out you still have your pup.

Reactions: InLOVEwithGOLDENS

·
Banned
1,586 Posts
Its funny, because the idea behind limited registration is that the animal is not adhering to breed standard thus not breedable material. I don't see how money should change that. I would contact the AKC and see what they have to say.

·
Registered
9,612 Posts
All else aside, I've used small claims court to handle disputes and never had to go to court or talk to the other person. they handles it all for me and will also tell you if it is a valid claim in their opinion.

When I used small claims court it was in Florida against a car dealer for repairs, but it was a long time ago. It couldn't hurt to try and will get the "yucky" feeling out of your stomach.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Actually, I had NEVER even considered breeding until the breeder brought it up as a selling point. Our original intention was to find a healthy, gentle, and intelligent puppy to fit into our home after having a bad experience with a shelter pup. That was the reason we were willing to spend so much on a pup. Honestly though, when he/she told me I could make back the $1500 by studding out a male or having one litter of pups, I fell for it. I thought, wow, what a wonderful experience for my family to share, and extra money is always good.

But now, after this experience with the breeder and learning just a few of the complexities and dangers of breeding, I am seriously reconsidering. However, because the option was a part of the buying decision, I would like to follow through, just in case this is something my family really wants to become seriously involved in.

The only reason I'm trying to pay the difference now is because after showing interest in a second pup, we received emails pressuring us to send in a deposit of $500 to hold a male in the upcoming litter. After explaining our circumstances, slight pressure continued until my husband suggested I research this breeder. Awful things came up, things I didn't want to believe because I had already purchased our puppy
But now, after passing on a second pup, the breeder's reaction seems to display the exact behavior other people on internet warned about.

I did contact AKC, they said they don't get involved with contracts but to go to small claims court, I should win. I was just hoping there was another insider option.

Thanks again!

·
Registered
21 Posts
Is "English Creme" your color description of the pup, or did the breeder promote or describe the pup in those words?

I'm new to this forum, but those two words, "English Creme", when paired together, raise a red flag to me. It sounds a little like marketing to me. Sure there are light colored Goldens... particularly of heritage on the other side of the pond.

There also seems to be this premium price attached when those two words are used by the breeder. Then when you reference being offered breeding rights, and contractual exceptions provided you do such and such, at a profit to them???

And pressuring you? I can't imagine a reputable breeder doing such.

Ehhh, something here is getting a little gamey smelling. Tread carefully.

P.S. My experience, and dare I say most on this board, breeder puppy experiences are nothing but fun, exciting, enjoyable journey's and no pressure. It is also my opinion that me, as a "pet buyer", a.k.a. non-breeder, have no right in breeding these dogs. My job is to take the "Number 2 pup", or less, and leave the good one to the breeder, and make our GR's the best breed they can be. And my family and I end up with an outstanding friend and companion, with a great pedigree, who most of all will be loved to smithereens!

·
Wyatt Earp
3,595 Posts
Is "English Creme" your color description of the pup, or did the breeder promote or describe the pup in those words?

I'm new to this forum, but those two words, "English Creme", when paired together, raise a red flag to me. It sounds a little like marketing to me. Sure there are light colored Goldens... particularly of heritage on the other side of the pond.

There also seems to be this premium price attached when those two words are used by the breeder. Then when you reference being offered breeding rights, and contractual exceptions provided you do such and such, at a profit to them???

And pressuring you? I can't imagine a reputable breeder doing such.

Ehhh, something here is getting a little gamey smelling. Tread carefully.

P.S. My experience, and dare I say most on this board, breeder puppy experiences are nothing but fun, exciting, enjoyable journey's and no pressure. It is also my opinion that me, as a "pet buyer", a.k.a. non-breeder, have no right in breeding these dogs. My job is to take the "Number 2 pup", or less, and leave the good one to the breeder, and make our GR's the best breed they can be. And my family and I end up with an outstanding friend and companion, with a great pedigree, who most of all will be loved to smithereens!
You would be surprised. I have learned alot this week on here of some of the stipulations some of these breeders put in their contracts.

·
Registered
9,612 Posts
I have no experience with breeders so my advice was purely on small claims court.
Mine have all been rescues or just shown up at my house.:doh::)

·
Nancy
7,493 Posts
Out of curiosity, why do you want full registration on an animal you have no intention of breeding?

(I'm also trying to find the appropriate passage in the AKC about selling rights).
Maybe I'm not understanding the question, but I've had full registration on all the purebred dogs I've had and never bred any of them. Actually I never knew there was anything but full registration. I've heard of co-ownership.

·
Banned
1,586 Posts
Maybe I'm not understanding the question, but I've had full registration on all the purebred dogs I've had and never bred any of them. Actually I never knew there was anything but full registration. I've heard of co-ownership.
Full registration simply prevents you from breeding or showing. Since this fine individual shows no interest in either... The question makes perfect sense :D

·
Dakota Katie River's Mom
1,684 Posts
Limited registration prevents you from showing the dog and prevents you from registering any litter from that dog with AKC.

·
Kristy
9,832 Posts
Just when I think I've heard everything on this forum..... WOW! If this really is the whole story, this breeder sounds like the bottom of the barrel.... I would just take the limited registration and consider it a lesson learned. You might report her to the better business bureau. Is she a member of the Golden Retriever Club of America?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Yes, this is definitely the whole story. The only thing I have to hide is my naivety in picking the breeder, which has led to an embarrassing, frustrating situation. I actually have tons of emails, giving me his/her paypal address over and over, updating me every time they received a deposit on another male puppy-subtly threatening the loss of first pick. I even explained to them that I had been in the hospital, my husband out of town, and just no time yet to discuss things properly. A little patience but then more pressure, deadlines to pay...all within the first two weeks of bringing our first puppy home.

I only learned too late of his/her reputation.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts