Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Bailey’s Mom
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good Afternoon, I am a first time Golden Owner and new to your forum. My little guy was 8 weeks when we brought him home. He will be 6 months this week. We have been feeding him grain free all along. With the recent articles on DCM and low taurine diets, I am confused and at a loss as to what to feed him. He is 41# at 6 months. I welcome any suggestions. Thank you!

Attachments

·
Registered
881 Posts
I'm with you my girl is almost 4 and I'm in the process of switching her with all this news coming out.

The only thing is she is so picky with her dry food, i tried a few times over the years to try other flavors of her current food (she has been on this since she was 6 months old) and she wouldn't eat it i also tried to switch brands and that was a no go.

I would like to try and see if i could get samples before i spend a lot money on big bags of food if she isn't gonna eat it.

right now I'm deciding between

Purina pro plan and
Royal canin GR blend.

·
Registered
5,823 Posts
Please stop feeding grain-free. If you need any reassurances why, join the Facebook Group "Taurine-Deficient (Nutritional) Dilated Cardiomyopathy." It's run by a group of veterinarians and there is a ton of information on there, even what you should be feeding. There are over 50,000 members at this point. None of the BEG(Boutique, Exotic, Grain-Free Foods) are safe for your pet.

·
Premium Member
4,439 Posts
Purina Pro Plan is the food used by most performance dogs and show dogs. I've used PPP for my dogs for years and have had good success with it. I never got on the grain free band wagon, so I didn't have to make the switch. The sooner you switch, the better.

·
Registered
881 Posts
Purina Pro Plan is the food used by most performance dogs and show dogs. I've used PPP for my dogs for years and have had good success with it. I never got on the grain free band wagon, so I didn't have to make the switch. The sooner you switch, the better.
My dog is is neither a performance dog or a show dog is this still a good brand to switch too?

·
Registered
206 Posts
My dog is is neither a performance dog or a show dog is this still a good brand to switch too?
My pup is doing just fine on it, our previous Golden's have been on either the Sport or Large Breed versions and never any issues. I wouldn't use the Sport unless they're an actual working dog though. It's higher in protein.

I'll most likely switch my pup to Sensitive Skin/Stomach at the first of the year.

·
Super Moderator Leader
44,876 Posts
My boy is a Pound puppy-I adopted him from my County Shelter. I have been feeding the PPP SSS for 8 years ever since I adopted him at the age of 2 based on many many recommendations from members here on the Forum.

He was having stomach issues, was under weight 15-20 lbs., he had come into the shelter as a Stray. Within a couple of days of eating the PPP SSS, I noticed an immediate improvement in his stools, he gradually started gaining the weight he needed over the course of several months and his coat started coming in..... he's done extremely well on it.

Just want to add, my boy does not have any allergies and he's never had a hot spot........

Before the member recommendations, I would never have considered a Purina product of any kind. The Purina Pro Plan line is a very good line.
As mentioned above many of the Performance and Show dogs are eating Purina Pro Plan formulas.

·
Premium Member
4,439 Posts

If performance dogs and show dogs eat it, then its definitely good for all dogs. I've fed the same thing to all my dogs of all ages. My golden from the pound, my show dog, and my field trial dog. All have done well, at all ages.

I add some water to it, a couple of squirts of fish oil. Sometimes I add green beans or something else fun. PPP sport has been the basis for our feeding for a long time.

·
Registered
311 Posts
What a good looking pup you have! I just got back from the vet with my 8 month old and he was very pleased that we were feeding her Purina Pro Plan. He advised that some people are not taking this are seriously as they should.

Jules

·
Registered
194 Posts
I'm a Fromm feeder. Just in the process of switching to the Adult Gold from the puppy formula. Yes, get him off the grain free, that is the big issue right now. He really is cute!

·
Registered
881 Posts
If performance dogs and show dogs eat it, then its definitely good for all dogs. I've fed the same thing to all my dogs of all ages. My golden from the pound, my show dog, and my field trial dog. All have done well, at all ages.

I add some water to it, a couple of squirts of fish oil. Sometimes I add green beans or something else fun. PPP sport has been the basis for our feeding for a long time.
Thanks I'm gonna go look at the types they have, they are currently sending me coupons to try it out.

If she doesn't have any allergies is the sensitive skin and stomach ok to use? she does sometimes have lick hot spots on her belly and get ingrown hair bumps. But her stomach seems to be ok unless she eats something outside shes not supposed to and i watch her like a hawk.

·
Super Moderator Leader
44,876 Posts
The PPP SSS is good for both Sensitive Stomach and sensitive skin.

If your pup has allergies or doesn't, the PPP SSS certainly will not hurt her.

You mentioned she had a hot spot........ my guy has been eating the PPP SSS for 8 years, he has yet to have a hot spot or any type of skin issue. The PPP SSS has a lot of Omega 3s in it.

·
Registered
881 Posts
I was looking at the site and they only have Lamb and Salmon? I have never been successful in trying Lamb or any fish with her, she has been on Turkey since she was 6 months old and Chicken binds her up i sure hope she likes one of them. The food she is eating now (which is almost out so i need to make a decision soon) i have tried other flavors of it like, chicken, salmon, whitefish, beef and lamb and she hated it she loves the turkey i just hope she will adapt to this.

·
Bailey’s Mom
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thank you, everyone, for your response. I was actually considering the Purina Pro Plan. Looks like that’s what I will do.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Our breeder recommended Purina Pro Plan (adult, not puppy) when we picked up our boy at 8.5 weeks. He started off on the lamb, but we ended up switching him to chicken (very slowly, over the course of 10 days) and he's thrived on it. Our boy isn't a show or performance dog either (unless his antics with the kids could be considered performance, but probably not :grin2: ). Good luck!

·
Super Moderator Leader
44,876 Posts
I was looking at the site and they only have Lamb and Salmon? I have never been successful in trying Lamb or any fish with her, she has been on Turkey since she was 6 months old and Chicken binds her up i sure hope she likes one of them. The food she is eating now (which is almost out so i need to make a decision soon) i have tried other flavors of it like, chicken, salmon, whitefish, beef and lamb and she hated it she loves the turkey i just hope she will adapt to this.
I am feeding the salmon formula of the PPP SSS, to be honest I was surprised how well my guys liked it when I made the change, my bridge girl was alive at the time.

I also only feed salmon treats...... my guys both had/have sensitive stomachs, they didn't do well on chicken or any type of foul like turkey. Did not do well with corn either.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts