Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Rufus' Mom aka Linda
1,357 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am so angry and scared right now...UGH! New people just moved in next door on the weekend. Today I took Rufus out for his afternoon run and just as we got to the bottom of our driveway, the new neighbour's dog jumped over the railing of their back deck where he has been kept since they moved in. He came towards us and sniffed Rufus, sniffed another dog whose owner had stopped to talk to us and then ran around sniffing the ditches. The owner was warned by one of the other neighbours that his dog was now loose and he came out to get him. At that point the dog ran towards Rufus who jumped up to play as he does with all the neighbourhood dogs..wagging his tail. The dog jumped on him and pinned him down snarling and biting his neck. The guy was able to get his dog off Rufus but it scared both Rufus and I. His dog is not neutered and he's two years old. I hope this isn't the beginning of a huge problem with these new neighbours...I just needed to vent.

·
They get it
4,446 Posts
Oh wow, that is terrible. Did you report the dog to animal control?

·
Registered
1,431 Posts
Wow that is scary. Is Rufus okay, any bite marks? Did the neighbor say anything?

·
Registered
43,252 Posts
Did Rufus get injured by the bite? I would be calling animal control and asking your neighbor for proof of rabies shots. Hope he isnt going to be scared of dogs now.

·
Registered
12,628 Posts
That is scary! I am always nervous when an unleashed dog approaches my dogs. Most owners are clueless when their dog is approaching in an unfriendly manner.

·
Registered
21,195 Posts
that's so scary! I hope Rufus wasn't hurt at all.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Just be very careful ANY time you have your pup (looks like a pup) or dog for that matter when any other dog comes near yours.....remember your dog maybe friendly and gentle but that doesn't mean the other dog is.
Wagging tails can mean just more than a friendly dog so beware. You cannot control the other dog or owner, and if the other owner lacks the will or skills to control their dog, you and your dog can be in for a confrontation. Be on the lookout, be cautious and be ready to stand in front of your dog, take a large stanch, look straight into the eyes of the other dog, be an imposing figure, yell at the other dog if needed, but don't back down and don't turn your back on the dog. Just like Cesar says, you be in charge and large...do not let that dog come near you or your dogs space. I know easier said then done, but let me tell you we had a sharpei in our neighborhood that went after dogs and owners alike. He actually came into my garage one time to go after my golden that ran back to our door inside the garage, and I turned around to find the dog growling and snapping at me with my dog trying to run behind the car to get away. I grabbed a rake, it was right near me, and heck I was scared as scared could be, but I made myself big, pushed that rake out in front of me like it was a weapon and started after the sharpei...walking like I was in charge, and yelling at the dog to go away....he came at me at first, charged and tried to snap at me, but I held my ground and kept eye contact and kept walking forward, rake in front, and yelling and once he realized I meant business he turned around and trotted off. After that, every time I saw that dog, I started toward him like I meant business to go after him and he always turned around and ran away. No matter what, always be on the lookout and careful about meeting other dogs and owners! It can be a split second and bam! One dog is on the other dog. Good luck and be an imposing figure for your dog.

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
Poor baby. I hope he's ok and this doesn't make him frightened of other dogs.

·
Rufus' Mom aka Linda
1,357 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks guys...yes Rufus is OK. The neighbour did apologize and said he didn't know his dog could jump over the railing (it's a 6' drop to the ground). I didn't call animal control...to be honest I didn't even think of that! I talked to the neighbour and explained that we have two un-neutered males living beside each other and we're both going to have to be really careful with them and be on guard all the time. There is a bit of a language barrier but I think he got the message. I did look up the number for canine control and have it on the fridge. I pray there isn't a next time and I never need it, but the number is there if I do.

·
Registered
Brady Aedan Finch and Wren
13,691 Posts
I'm glad Rufus is okay :)

I personally don't call animal control when incidents happen but talk to the neighbors involved and make sure the shots are up to date. I feel that unless I can always guarantee that nothing will ever happen because of my dogs that I really need to cut other people slack and give them the chance to make changes .. this would not apply to vicious dogs. however, it sounds like your neighbor will now take the proper precautions.

·
Registered
2,174 Posts
Linda, firstly, I'm glad to hear that Rufus is ok. Secondly, I just want you to keep an eye on Rufus for possible future "actions" resulting from the attack. He could exhibit "I'll get you before you get me" behaviour especially with another intact male. Get Rufus out as I know you always do & reward him for his good behaviour - especially around other dogs.

You do have Orangeville coming up very soon & we want excellent behaviour for that weekend!;);)

·
Luke, Maggie, and Tucker
3,045 Posts
I'm so thankful that Rufus is okay and the owner showed proof of a rabies vaccine. Was the skin broken at all?

It's unfortunate that there's a language barrier, but I am thankful your new neighbors seemed to understand what was going on and what they need to do to keep Rufus and their dog safe. Hopefully this is a one-time incident! :)

1 - 20 of 24 Posts