Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good Day:

I'm considering a Golden via my local rescue organization. My husband is concerned about acquiring "someone else's" problems. Can someone give me some insight as to what I might expect?

·
Registered
54 Posts
Rescue

If you go the rescue way you won't be getting some one elses problem dog you will be getting a dog that someone did not do their home work first. Goldens need alot if attention training growing up with a family that loves them and will work with them.And the second pluse of a rescue is it usualy from a rescue group and has been with a foster family who will problably know t he dog you are applying for. PLEASE check out a rescue group!

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
Rochelle,Welcome to a great forum,there are many knowledgeable people here.All of whom love Goldens.
PLEASE,PLEASE get a Golden from a rescue group.The Goldens are screened for health,disposition and general well being.You will be evaluated and given the choice of Goldens that will fit with your family and life style.
May I recommend that you consider a older Golden,maybe even a senior Golden.A young Golden or even a puppy might overwhelm a first timer.A older Golden(3 to 5 yrs) is more settled and probably trained,already house broken and grateful to be given a new chance at life.
Once you experience the love of a Golden,you will be hooked for life.Tell your husband that he has no chance of getting a problem Golden if it's a Golden from rescue.
We have had many rescued Goldens and they have been wonderful,each in their own way.If your husband needs to talk to somebody,e-mail me and we'll work something out.
Adopt a rescue,Please.
Shane

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'm hoping more information comes in; the pro and con side of this issue. Everyone wants a good dog to find a loving home - and we sure want to be that - and more. Yet, what are the "flip side" concerns of a rescued dog? Is it trouble finding dogs? Are there ever any puppies - are the dogs over 10 years? Are "most" of the dogs surrendered due to health issues? I'm trying to make an informed decision - with realistic expectations. I just need more opinions - and shared experiences.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Shane - many thanks for your views! Your definition of a "older" Golden of 3 to 5 years - was something of a surprise to me. I didn't consider the 3-5 years "old". If the dog can jump into a car, or run with a ball - and be with kids; that's all I'm looking for. In my quest for a "buddy" to go with me, I'm just looking for a dog that can keep up with me. The 3-5 year range seems like their just getting "started" -- or am I missing something? Do you think there are "many" available in this age range - or would they be hard to find? I wonder what the average age of a rescued dogs are? Any idea? Roc-

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
Dogs go into Rescue for any # of reasons but the #1 reason is human error. The human did NOT do their homework, the human did NOT realize that these precious creatures take time and effort. I was going to say "You only get out of them what you put in" but that's not the case for a Golden. They will love to their last breath no matter how terribly they've been treated.
The pros of a Rescue - no teething, usually house trained, eager to please, undying love and loyalty, already know what the coat is like, big enough to not step on, no through the night potty calls.
The cons of a Rescue - hmmmm.....just wait.......I'm thinking! ..........can't come up with any yet.
You know Rochelle, if you've already decided to get a golden then you know about the fur everywhere, the having to retrieve anything to bring it to you, the need to be close to you so that's not the issue. The issue is having a dog that someone has thrown away because they didn't have the knowledge, the compassion, the insight or the (excuse me) BALLS to take care of the animal they chose. They decided to take the easy route and throw it away and have someone else bail them out.
I HAVE NO TIME OR COMPASSION FOR THESE PEOPLE!!
Puppies....no matter what the breed.....take A LOT OF TIME AND PATIENCE. If you don't have the time...don't get the dog. Simple. The knowledge you can get through Obedience training, book reading, forums like this one and even TV. The love and the time - those are all these wonderful babies are asking for. If they were human they would be in institutions. Children that have no family to take care of them are there because of situations beyond their control (death of parents, parents unable to care for them etc). Animals that have no one are there because people screwed up and thought they could take this cute sweet little puppy and everything would be wonderful. Surprise.....teething.....biting....pooping......wetting........needles......etc. etc. Older animals have gone through all that, they just need a home.
Sorry, I'll get off my soapbox now........I just feel SO MUCH for these throw-away dogs. It breaks my heart when I see my babies curled up on my bed or the sofa that there's so many of these forgotten creatures that may never know the sound of a soft word or a gentle touch. You and your hubby could give one of these lost souls a new life. Think about it, please!!!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Please, please - stay on that "soapbox"! This is exactly the type of information I'm looking for. I'm researching on what to expect - to know what I'm in for.

I have had a dog, and am feeling the void of loosing my previous "baby" (German Shepherd). We lived for our training... always working, going somewhere, visiting someone; playing, playing and more playing. My dog even went with me to my office (sat at my feet - waiting till my day was done).

My dream (and hope) is to work towards being a therapy dog. To go into Hospitals, Nursing Homes, etc. Ultimately, that's what I'd like to do. But if that's not something the dog enjoys, maybe senting, or something else. I just enjoy working my dog -- and I miss my previous "Baby"!

(oh yes, I understand the dog hair issues. I purchased a Dyson Animal specifically for getting up the hair!)

I'm just concerned that something will surprise us... that we won't be able to deal with an issue concerning the dog. And then what?

We're trying so hard to make an informed decision --- you "preach it"; and I'll listen! Roc-

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
What happens if......you get the sweetest of puppies. s/he is everything you want in a dog THEN, you find out s/he has hip dysplasia or eye disease or a personality quirk or....WHATEVER! Are you going to be like all the other people that abandoned their Goldens and give her away? I don't think so!
What I'm trying to make you see is that when we have a real, live creation we have no guarantees. You can protect yourself monetarily by buying from a reputable breeder that gives some sort of guarantee. That way you can at least take the dog back to them (if your heart will let you) and get either your money back or another pup. Or......you can get in touch with the GR Rescue in your area and see the dogs fully grown, in full coat, with any health issues they might already have. That is more of a sure thing. You can still teach these wonderful animals compassion (don't have to teach too much on that one) so they can be "therapy" dogs. You can also do "agility training", "flyball" training" anything with your new pet if "therapy" isn't their strong point. Point I'm trying to make is the possibilities are more numerous when they're a little older than when they're puppies.
Also these dogs should have been in "foster homes" where they've been watched and assessed.
If you want a sure thing then buy a ....... geez.....I can't think of any "sure" things except taxes and dying. Even buying a used house will have surprises. The question is.....are you capable of handling whatever a "rescue dog" brings to the table (so to speak) and I think the answer to that is a resounding "Y - E - S " . I've read your post about all you want to do with this new addition ....heck....I'm this close to asking you to adopt ME! You sound like a wonderful person with a lot of love and patience to give. Either choice you make will be the "right one" for you and for the new addition to your family.
Good Luck!

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
Maybe what you need to do is get in touch with the local rescue group in your area and talk to them. Maybe if you start to feel more comfortable with them and they answer the questions you have you'll be able to make a more informed decision. They also might have dogs available that you can go and see. Who knows......a pair of warm, trusting and loving eyes might just look up at you and say...................please!

·
Registered
6 Posts
My family has actually had two rescue goldens and two other dogs we have rescued over the last, about 10 years or so. We got a golden from a friend who was moving overseas and couldn't take her with them and then we moved to Texas and got another golden from a rescue group who was in Midland, TX. The other two dogs we had picked up off the street, literally, off the street. They have been the best dogs. I am sure dogs from breeders are awesome too, never had one, but rescue dogs seem to have a sort of understanding that you have saved them from what they had before. I know two of our dogs had very very bad up bringings, and that was sad, but they are great now. I would say get a dog from a rescue group, you will be happy. Rescuing a golden may also make you feel a little better inside, it really is like saving a person's life. I hope that was some help. :)

·
Registered
122 Posts
mojosmum said:
The question is.....are you capable of handling whatever a "rescue dog" brings to the table (so to speak) and I think the answer to that is a resounding "Y - E - S " . I've read your post about all you want to do with this new addition ....heck....I'm this close to asking you to adopt ME! You sound like a wonderful person with a lot of love and patience to give. Either choice you make will be the "right one" for you and for the new addition to your family.
Good Luck!
Bravo!!!! I cant agree with you more Mojosmum!!!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
""...asking you to adopt ME!" Donna ... I'd take ya in a minute!! But I'd guess that Mojo & Zoe wouldn't let me!! Thank you so much for your insight --- means more to me than you could know!!! Roc-

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Schmiddy11 - "but rescue dogs seem to have a sort of understanding that you have saved them" - I've heard this before. I know my previous dogs (Rough collie, Schipperkie, German Shepherd) always seemed to know 'what I was thinking'. But I figured they just got used to my body language, and were able to anticipate my moves.

But you feel that the dog may have some insight as to what it's potential future holds? This isn't the first time I've heard this... frankly, this was another reason I've considered a rescued dog. The potential bonding experience between "man (woman) and beast" was somewhat deeper.

Ok... maybe I'm going off the deep edge here -- but I'd like to think that the dog "knows" it's being taken in by someone who what's to love and care for it! Roc-

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
You are just the girl to do that too, Rochelle.

Do me a favour, if you will.

I'd like you to put your arms out to the side, nice and wide......come on.....you can do it....no one's looking.........

NOW.......slowly........I said slowly now .......bring your arms in towards your body. That's good. Keep coming....NOW....wrap your arms around yourself. That, sweetie, is me giving you and your family the biggest hug I can.

You are a wonderful person with a lot of love to give. You just make the right decision for you and your family. All we can do is give you our humble opinions and the benefits of our experience. Ultimately you have to do what feels right inside. Whatever you decide.......you will still be a wonderful person.

Hugs and tummy rubs (on account):smooch:

:bigangel:

·
Registered
6 Posts
I think you just need to take some time, figure out what the best course of action for you and your family is....and when you feel completely confident, make a decision. I know wherever you end up getting a dog/puppy it will have a great loving home, and a great family to take care of it and love it completely. Thank you for caring about dogs enough to ask for help!!!

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
Perhaps I should have used the words,more mature,to describe 3 to 5 year old Goldens.I think that the years 2 to 3 or even sometimes 4,are best described as the "teen" years.During this time Goldens are testing the limits,rebelling as it is.Once they get past this,they become more grown up and all they want is to play and please you.
We have had many different personalty's over the years.Some are play time Goldens,these will keep you young.Some are healing Goldens,doggy doctors,that try to heal you,either physically or emotionally.Others just want to be with you and there are many more personality's out there.ALL of them will return your love tenfold.
We believe that they(all dogs) can communicate with their thoughts.If you are open,sometimes you may get a strong urge for a walk or a treat.
Rescued Goldens (and all dogs) understand that they have a better life and they repay it daily.They are grateful but sometimes have a hard time believing that they are at their forever home.
All dogs that we handle are subject to a welcome to the family speech.We take them on a tour of the house,the rules are gone over and then we sit down and snuggle with them.We talk straight to them and explain that this is their forever home.We promise that they will NEVER be hungry,thirsty,dirty or alone again.We promise that they will never be abused or mistreated, only that they will be loved for the rest of their lives.
What we have learned from Goldens (and all the dogs we've had) could never be taught in a class room.
If you have children,Goldens will teach them lessons that no one else could.As for protection,PITY THE FOOL whom threatens a Goldens family.
There are 2 rescue groups in your state.You need to talk to them.
Check out the link.
Shane
http://www.grca-nrc.org/Localrescues-Wisconsin.htm

·
Registered
702 Posts
Okay, pardon me if this is a "newbie" question, but:
Is there a difference between "getting an older golden" and "getting a rescue golden"? I mean, are there places you can get older (2+ year) dogs from that aren't "rescues" per se? And if so, what's the difference?

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
Rescue groups save Goldens of all ages.I don't know of any place that sells 2 yr old Goldens,only puppies.

Most(if not all) rescue groups have no problem adopting out a puppy,but older Goldens(or more mature) have a harder time finding a home.Most rescue groups have a sliding scale on adoption fees,the older the Golden(or special needs Goldens) the lower the fee.
A word about the "Fee".When a Golden comes in,it is Vet checked,given shots,spayed if needed,groomed and then evaluated.A foster family then takes care of them and helps train them if needed.The adoption fee only covers,at best,less than half of the costs involved.If you got the Golden from a store or breeder,your expenses for training and Vet work would be MUCH higher.
A Golden that has been rescued is one of the greatest deals around.I mean,how would you like a certified used Rolls Royce for way less than it's worth !
If you get a rescued Golden,it means that YOU have saved a living soul that will love you until it's final breath and saved a big wad of money that you can spend on treats and toys.
Once you get a rescued Golden,you will always have a rescued Golden.
Shane

·
Registered
6 Posts
Dilligas said:
Okay, pardon me if this is a "newbie" question, but:
Is there a difference between "getting an older golden" and "getting a rescue golden"? I mean, are there places you can get older (2+ year) dogs from that aren't "rescues" per se? And if so, what's the difference?

well..sometimes some breeders may keep a few dogs longer then usual to train them and raise them themselves, or whatever. Then they will sell them after they are trained. I guess this makes it easier for someone who wants a dog but doesn't know how to train it very well. I know it probably is a stupid thing to do, but it might actually be a good thing. This way the people who get the puppies thinking they come fully loaded with potty training a obedience, don't take the dog when it gets out of control and leave it somewhere so they don't have to mess with it. Its a horrible world when people can do that and feel ok about themselves. Other then that i don't really think there is a way to get an older puppy.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts