Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi I am a new member, new to this forum. I have had Golden Retrievers as a child and had one as an adult. Her name was Genevieve. Genevieve lived a long and good life. 13 years! We recently bought a Golden Retriever puppy for my daughter. By recently I mean last year. She is an MD/PhD student. She is doing her MD portion at Loyola in Chicago, and then in the middle of that she left to go to Tucson to do the PhD section. She will then return to finish in Chicago. The reason I am telling this story is because we were anxious to have her go far away with a friend, that being the Golden. It has worked out so well. She is such a great dog owner, and the dog is so good. He has adapted to his life in Tucson, even though it is hot. She takes such good care of him. I will be getting a new puppy in July. This time it is for me. It is a male Golden. I cannot wait. We have a home on a lake, and I am wondering about the best way to introduce my puppy to the water, and when it should happen. What is the right age? Genevieve loved the water and just couldn't get enough of it.
I am also a lover of Standard Poodles but would never be a "doodler". I don't like the idea of designer dogs, though I understand that many people do, and that's great. I had 2 standard poodles, one of which was a biter. I am looking forward to a dog with a more low key disposition. I don't care if it's wild and is puppy like for years, just don't want another biter.
Wish me luck.

·
Registered
4,931 Posts
Welcome to the forum. I'm glad your daughter has a Golden companion while she is moving around and to help with the stress of all that higher education. How exciting to be getting a puppy. It sounds like you know there will be some wild puppy biting but once you teach him the rules and he loses those baby needle teeth it will be over.

·
Registered
1,432 Posts
Welcome! I enjoyed your introduction and you are making a great choice of breed.
I had German Shepherds for many years - growing up and after. When I had one who was a biter, the trainers worked with me and he never "got" anyone again for 12 years. My best trainer became a good friend and honestly told me that I could never trust him to make his own decisions because it could well be the wrong one. So we had him solidly trained to listen to me and we were very bonded. But 13 years is a long time to live like that. So when he passed, we chose the Golden Retriever breed. The exact right choice for us. All of Goldens have been joyful, friendly, exuberant yet biddable. They bring such joy into my life.
I look forward to hearing about your puppy in July.
There is SO much info on this forum that you can read before you get your new family member. Enjoy!

·
Registered
4,459 Posts
Enjoy the Forum! Lots to learn here and a great place to share your golden adventures.

·
Registered
379 Posts
Welcome to the forum! Waiting for a new puppy is exciting! We just brought Murphy home 2 wks ago and it's been great. Hadn't had a puppy in 7 years but it all comes back pretty quick. There's a ton of of info/support here if you need it. Don't forget to share photos....we love photos.....

·
Registered
2,408 Posts
Welcome! Congratulations on your new puppy. I have a swimming pool and just used the coaxing method for my first Golden (Luke/he was two) and it took 30 minutes or so. After that, he loved it. With my Golden now (Logan) he just went straight into the water when my husband threw a toy. He was about five or six months, I believe. It was too cold before then. I just made sure to teach him how to get out several times until he seemed to get it.

For a lake, I'd get in with him at first (coaxing him in) and make sure to guide him back out so he doesn't get frantic out there. Make it fun! Also, make sure he has his leptospirosis vaccine.

Perhaps someone who hunts or does field trials can give you some more suggestions.

Lepto Vaccine

·
Registered
127 Posts
Welcome! I know how excited you must be to be getting your new pup next month! The waiting seems to take forever, but once they are home, time flies!! Oh and by the way, I'm a quilter too!!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts