Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi! I have a very active 5 month old Golden, Finley, that I need some advice on. Finley is a biter. He isn't biting out of aggression. He bites when excited and when playing with us. He hasn't broken skin, but has left many bruises. I've tried consistently with offering his toy, telling him "No bite!", and withdrawing my attention. None of this has helped. I don't know if it's worth mentioning, but he also is humping objects (his bed, stuffed toy, people) numerous times on a daily basis. I am not a novice with dogs. I have owned other furry family members over the course of 30 years of marriage - a Shetland Sheepdog, Beagle, and English Springer Spaniel, and now my Golden. None of these dogs have been biters. I am open to suggestions in getting Finley to stop his biting, especially once grandkids occur.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Hi welcome to the forum. My boy Tucker is 5 months also, he is a bit of a bitter when he gets excited also. He is pretty good about letting go though when it starts to get to rough, I just stop what I'm doing and tell him no bite. Then I give him some time to relax before we start up again. Try to stop all of your movement especially your hands if that is what he is going after. Then just turn your back to him until he's calmed down and you can resume playing. Think of it as a doggy time out, he should start to get it pretty quick especially since what he really wants is to play.

·
Registered
432 Posts
Hello, I too am new and my 4th old is also a nipper. I have been struggling to find was to manager since day one. The best cure so far for me has been 5 min time out in her crate. She even knows what 'Time Out' means now. Now she is getting older, sometimes she doesn't even leave the crate right away, when I open the door. Now the issue is solving this problem when we are out walking and she she goes nuts on the leash or jumps at me.

All I can say about the humping in an animal that young is anxiety humping perhaps? Would fit with the nipping too.

·
Super Moderator
2,869 Posts
My now 8-month Golden has a overarousal biting problem too, but its slowly getting better. He was an angel puppy, but really started the overarousal biting at 5 months old too. He's also recently started the humping thing too, which I've corrected by saying no really firmly (if you're a mom, use the same voice you use when yelling at your kids) and then walking out of the room. The humping thing is really new and its already started to stop (knock on wood). Hope I didn't just jinx myself.

I found what helped the most was a really good game of tug a couple of times a day. Some Goldens are just mouthier than others and need a proper outlet for all that mouthiness. For Kaizer, who prefers to play with us than alone, tug took care of the problem for the most part. If he bit during tug (sometimes he'd stop mid tug and just jump on me), then I'd say no in the mom voice (I'm way too young to have children so i just copied my mom lol) and walk out. I did this religiously. Sometimes he couldn't settle himself down so I had to tether him, which calmed him down too.

Yesterday, Kaizer and I played a game of fetch yesterday. For the first time since we got him, he didn't jump up and bite me when he returned the ball. He instead chose to take the ball and have zoomies with it. That may not be big for other people, but for Kaizer who got so excited chasing the ball, this is really important.

·
Yuki's mom...Syd
687 Posts
Goldens are very mouthy. Squeaky toys, bones to chew on, as the other poster said "time-out", yelping loudly like a puppy in pain worked for me and I would turn away for few minutes or go "hide". If the bite was painful I acted hurt, yelping and whimpering, you don't have to do that but with few tries my pup stopped biting thinking it hurts me a lot. One of my pups was a biter and I had bruises on hands, legs, even my nose. As last resort I started acting like a puppy, yelping, whimpering, turning away.

Also I think your pup is still teething probably and is being more mouthy. Frozen carrots or ice cubes may help.

My pup was humpy too. He humped all my stuffed toys, pillows when he was just 2 months old. He's 4 yrs old now.

I made a pillow which has a strong cover so he can't rip it. Whenever he tried to hump my toys I told him "off" and gave him his "humping pillow". If he tried to do it to people, I did the same. Whenever he has the urge to hump, he finds his "humping pillow" even now but he rarely does it.

You can give a stuffed toy or pillow or even a small dog bed to control his humping. Teach him to hump it instead of humping everything or everyone.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thank you for the suggestion. I have done the same with him with inconsistent results. I've also been pushing his head down when he jumps or tugging downward on his collar. He's just getting sooo big so fast - already 56 pounds, that I fear if I don't stop the jumping and biting he might actually hurt someone unintentionally.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thank you for your feedback. I have found that putting him in his crate does de-escalate him. I was thinking I could put it away since it takes up so much room in my small house, but now I have ditched that idea if I plan on using it for his time-out.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yeah for Kaizer! I'm glad you have made wonderful progress with him. I rescued Finley off a farm in which he was not socialized or truly loved. I don't know if this is part of the reason he humps so much an is such a biter. I got him around 9 weeks old and have seen some progress, but he is still difficult to manage.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thank you for sharing your experience with me. I, too, have found that his bed serves as a good outlet for his humping frenzy.. I've contacted a local dog trainer to help with the jumping and biting as well as basic commands. It doesn't seem he is catching on to this.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts