Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I'm Chris Creighton from Kill Devil Hills, NC. New to the forum. My wife Ruth and I have adopted a 4 year old Golden named Laker. We have always had dogs and cats in our lives and many of them have been rescue/adoption. Laker came from a loving home but his owner was moving and couldn't take him with her. He is not alone as we also have a female 2 yr old Kelpie named Gracie and the two couldn't look any more different but both love the water, the beach and each other. She has webbed feet and is an avid swimmer, no sheep herding for her. Laker is quite tall at 28in to the shoulder and weighs 105 lbs, is in excellent health and condition and a very pleasing Gold/Orange color with white feathering. We live on the water and they run and swim twice a day. We have had Labradors and a Lab Golden mix before so we were very excited to get him. Though his size surprised us a little and our Vet had not seen one quite that big.
I have heard that there is a Canadian Golden line that are taller than what dog show people consider "right". Though that has a urban myth ring to it.
Has any one come across Goldens of a similar size? Thanks.:wavey:

Attachments

·
Glynis
2,534 Posts
Congratulations on your new boy. He is gorgeous. My Harley was also adopted at about the same age. It's amazing how well they fit into a new home. We also have water "on site" and Harley gets to swim every day. My dog is a smaller golden weighing about 60lbs. There are quite a number of "big boys" on the forum. Welcome and enjoy.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Welcome. What a wonderful home you are providing for Laker. Who wouldn't want to hang out at the beach for the rest of their lives? Laker is beautiful and definitely a big boy. Congratulations on such a lovely family.

·
Registered
773 Posts
Hi, I'm Chris Creighton from Kill Devil Hills, NC. New to the forum. My wife Ruth and I have adopted a 4 year old Golden named Laker. We have always had dogs and cats in our lives and many of them have been rescue/adoption. Laker came from a loving home but his owner was moving and couldn't take him with her. He is not alone as we also have a female 2 yr old Kelpie named Gracie and the two couldn't look any more different but both love the water, the beach and each other. She has webbed feet and is an avid swimmer, no sheep herding for her. Laker is quite tall at 28in to the shoulder and weighs 105 lbs, is in excellent health and condition and a very pleasing Gold/Orange color with white feathering. We live on the water and they run and swim twice a day. We have had Labradors and a Lab Golden mix before so we were very excited to get him. Though his size surprised us a little and our Vet had not seen one quite that big.
I have heard that there is a Canadian Golden line that are taller than what dog show people consider "right". Though that has a urban myth ring to it.
Has any one come across Goldens of a similar size? Thanks.:wavey:

Laker is a very big boy for sure. Has Laker been neutered? Generally that will affect there growth in making them taller. My Bentley is only 2 now and he is 27 inches at the withers and 103 lbs. Bentley is still intact so our boys would have fun running together and being crazy. I have been to the Outer Banks many times and like it there. While I live in Virginia, a large portion of my family lives in NC. Great to hear from you. Post some more pictures of your beast (Laker). :wavey:

·
Super Moderator Leader
51,676 Posts
Welcome to the forum, it's nice to see another OBXer here. There's another member from your area, he lives in Nags Head.

I'm South of you, I live on the Crystal Coast or otherwise known as the SOBX.

Congratulations on Laker, he's a handsome boy. I had to look up Gracie's breed, I'm not familiar with Kelpies, she's adorable. Great to see them getting along so well and Laker fitting right in. Lucky pups to live on the OBX.

Enjoy the forum!

·
Dog Lover
42,038 Posts
Welcome

Welcome to you, Laker and Gracie and thank you for adopting him. I am sure he loves being yours! Gracie is adorable!

Laker ad Gracie look so cute together!!

We adopted a female golden, Smooch, many years ago and when we lost her we adopted Tucker, a male Golden.

Reactions: Laker

·
Premium Member
2,126 Posts
Welcome to the forum. I live in Nags Head with my 2 Goldens Jack & Sweetie and my wife Barb & daughter Andie. Laker is a very hansom boy and I know he'll bring you and your wife much joy.I seem to recognize your name I'm Jimmy Curles. Again welcome!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts