Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all! I've been lurking for awhile, but I found myself with so many questions and comments, I had to jump in! Our new boy Finn joined our family two days before Christmas, and one day before the biggest snowfall K.C. had seen in years! Oh yeah, potty training has been fun in all that snow- but we're clear now and Finn is down to one or two accidents a day- usually in the evening during his nutty, crazy-boy time! Finn has two older lab brothers, one nine, one seven, and the older boy "tolerates" him, while the 7 year old likes to play with him UNTIL the puppy teeth get too rough, and then he shuts him down. It's been wonderful to have another Golden in the mix- we lost our ten year old Golden girl, Ruby to liver cancer back in July, and while I love the labs, they are very different from Goldens and as a friend of mine said, I was in need of a Golden intervention! I'm really looking forward to learning a lot from this site and sharing what I'm experiencing; There is SO much good information here!

·
Momma to angel Cody
5,044 Posts
Annie, good morning and welcome to GRF. You'll find a few other Finns here, one is a handsome lab! Nice that you've got your golden intervention, complete with tiny, sharp teeth:)

·
Love my Golden Boys!!
7,080 Posts
Welcome to you and Finn from Canada!! We have 3 Goldens: a 9 year old, 1 year old and 11 months old......all males!!! You're right, there is ALOT of good information on this site...enjoy...be careful though...it is very addictive!

·
Registered
1,431 Posts
Welcome Annie and Finn!!!!!!! Glad you're here!

·
Marcy
8,914 Posts
Welcome to GRF Annie! Finn is a great name, I am owned by a lab and golden duo and they get along great! Post some pics when you get a chance!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Also New to the site

I too and new to the site and a new owner of a Golden Retriever. He turned 14 weeks old yesterday and we got him when he had just turned 8 week. It seems that whenever I need information on something it is always on this site, which is great!

Maybe a few people can help me....We have a 3 (almost 4) year old daughter. Our puppy (Dexter) bites her like crazy. The other night he bit her belly and left teeth marks in it and she was freaking out. Im worried that he may really hurt her one of these times! Anyone have any suggestions on what I can do to try to stop this from happening?

My other question is regarding potty training. We take him out all the time and he still manages to pee all over the place. I kept track the other day and he peed 3 times in less than 10 minutes. Ive been told it could be seperation anxiety, but Im concerned it could be something more serious. The vet told us to just keep an eye on it. We are having a very difficult time training him. He did well at first and then he had a set back where we have to start all over again. Can anyone help or give me some ideas on what we can do. Im open to try anything! Thank you!

·
Registered
24 Posts
Hey there Annie and Finn. We have a Phin also, a golden who turned 5 months today:wavey:. This site is so awesome, enjoy! Dexter's mom, we have three children under 10. They are now in the habit of carring a toy around with them for when our Phin gets all excited and wants to bite. They just quickly stick the toy in his mouth and Phin goes to town on the toy instead of them. Our 5 year old still gets a little scared sometimes and jumps on the couch to get away but the toy carring has helped so much.

·
Tracer, Rumor & Cady
10,683 Posts
Dexters Mom...puppies pee like CRAZY! Unless you see dribbling..or the pup appears in pain, or appears to pee and not know it..or unless you see pee tinged with blood...I wold chalk it up to a housebreaking issue.
You should see a big drop off in accidents around 5 months..

Then nipping at your little girl is common...she is the next best thing to a littermate...she smells good, she is the perfect size and she squeals when they 'play'...a trifecta for a golden puppy!

Short of very closely supervising (have the puppy on a leash and your eyes on them both) when they are together and keeping them separated when you cant ...there is not much you can do...

The puppy's behavior (trying to elicit play and chase) is as natural as the child's desire to hold/cuddle/run and squeal.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I read somewhere that putting a little of the bitter apple on your hands during playtime was helpful...don't know if that's an option with a young child or not. To avoid Finn's nasty, little razor teeth, I keep several Nyla bones around to pop in his yap! and the old trick of immediately walking away from the play and ignoring him seems to work pretty well also...

But I hate to see him with his little puppy feelings hurt!

·
Golden Retriever Fanatic!
135 Posts
Welcome to GRF :) You'll have a wonderful time here with the lovely community!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts