Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
First Time Golden Owner
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All-

My wife and I just got married and bought a home with a nice sized backyard. We decided to add a 3rd member to our family and he is my 13-week old Golden and his name is Jake! We are head over heels in love with him and we've only had him 48 hours so far. We are just a little nervous because we want to raise nd train him the right way. Especially the potty part! Bought a book about Goldens and it's been helpful but I have been googling information on Goldens all day and some stuff seems to differ from person to person. If anyone has ny good solid pointers on raising a good pup then let me know!' thank you all! Wish us luck ;))

Jake-Ster

·
Registered
1,431 Posts
Welcome to the forum!! Can't wait to see pictures of Jake, we love pictures.

Reactions: Karen519

·
Dr. Rainheart
5,563 Posts
Welcome to the forum! Yes, please post pictures of your new pup!

Once he has his second set of vaccinations, I would personally get him enrolled in some sort of puppy class, mainly for socialization skills.

Be weary of where you take him; no dog parks or pet stores especially until at least 2 weeks after his final shots (usually around 18 weeks old). Do socialize him, however, with friends dogs that you know are fully vaccinated.

Feel free to ask for help around here! Those puppy stages can be rough!

Reactions: Zazoo

·
Premium Member
16,435 Posts
Work on housebreaking and recall right away. Make recall(COME) an absolute blast/ party for Jake so he builds a history of coming to you gladly. Never call him if you are not sure he is going to do it. Read the book Puppy's First Steps by Nicholas Dodman, and find a positive puppy class or an AKC STAR puppy class taught by a CPDT-KA trainer. If he gets bitey, stick a toy in his mouth or give him nap time.

·
Dog Lover
42,038 Posts
Reactions: Ljilly28

·
I ♥ my Zazoo
431 Posts
Welcome to the Forum... I found that crate training our golden babies worked best for potty training for me.. They are awesome now.. My 6 month old still has an accident or 2 once in a while but it's usually my fault because I am not paying enough attention to him going over to the door.. So I am going to hang some bells off the door handle and get him to hit it with his nose when he needs out.. That way I'll hear him.. My 7 month old will whine to go out.. You'll get a lot of good advice from this forum.. These people here are amazing..
Can't wait to see pics of your little baby.. :)

·
First Time Golden Owner
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks!

Thank you for all the warm wishes..you guys are great! Thank you again. Having a hard time uploading pics but I am working on it! Will be up soon :)

·
Now Caue's Dad Too!
37,489 Posts
There are several threads in the help section on uploading pictures. There are many ways of doing it. You have gotten some great advice on getting through the early days of golden puppyhood.

Thank you for all the warm wishes..you guys are great! Thank you again. Having a hard time uploading pics but I am working on it! Will be up soon :)

·
Now Caue's Dad Too!
37,489 Posts
Glad you figured out picture posting. Jake is a handsome pup. Keep the pictures coming. I love watching puppies grow up here on the forum.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts