Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello All!

I will be getting my first pup in history tomorrow. 8 week old Golden Retriever. I'm sooooo new to all of this, and I'm uncertain what my first task should be.

I've gotten all the basics I need: crate, toys, blankets, food, leash collar, you name it... I probably have it. However, there is one thing that I'm confused about.

I got a 34 pound bag of puppy proplan dog food. My pup feeds on this at the breeders home. Could anyone help me figure out if puppy proplan is a good choice of dog food? Or should I wean him off of this and go for something else that's suitable for Golden Retrievers? Any advise would be very much appreciated. Thanks.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Congrats on the new pup. Stick with what the breeder is feeding. The pup will be going through so much change you don’t want or need an upset tummy. As long as the Pro Plan is large breed puppy, you should be good.

I have been feeding Echo Pro Plan Large Breed Puppy and he is doing amazing.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah! Thanks for the reply. The below is the one I got. That's the one the breeder said she's feeding Archie. So I got the same one.

·
Registered
416 Posts
Pro Plan is a great choice for your pup. Follow the feeding guidelines, most pups will overeat if you let them. There are many other good dog foods available. I know some Purina people. One of the companies goals is making sure their products are superior to all of their competitors at any given price point.

·
Super Moderator
1,400 Posts
Purina Pro Plan and Eukanuba are my two favorites, but know that asking what dog food to feed in a dog forum is like going on a new mom's group and asking, "Formula or breast?"

·
Registered
692 Posts
I use the Purina Pro Plan Large Breed Puppy food on all my pups including our current 10 month old male. He is doing amazingly well. I did covert him to Pro Plan Puppy food, a couple of months ago. He was growing really fast and is going to be a big boy. Vet advised to get off the Large Breed...

BEFORE
AFTER!
Shooter 1 24 20 (3).jpg
IMG_1077 (2).jpg

·
Registered
593 Posts
I got a 34 pound bag of puppy proplan dog food. My pup feeds on this at the breeders home. Could anyone help me figure out if puppy proplan is a good choice of dog food? Or should I wean him off of this and go for something else that's suitable for Golden Retrievers? Any advise would be very much appreciated. Thanks.
Congratulations. I'm also new to the golden retriever world (our Kona is 11 months old this weekend). We feed Kona with Eukanuba Large Breed puppy, but also considered Purina Pro Plan.

I will offer that almost more important than feeding the "right food" is "knowing why". Both Purina Pro Plan and Eukanuba have foods formulated specifically for the nutritional needs of large dog breed puppies, and this supports the healthy development of skeleton and joints. Our plan is to keep Kona on he large breed puppy formulation for a few more months, and then to start transitioning to an adult formulation.

Bottom line is that there's a lot of different brands, a lot of different rationales, and, as a dog owner, it's extremely helpful to understand your dog's nutritional needs, and how you believe these should best be addressed, in order to navigate all of the promotional ad copy.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts