Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone!!!

I am a new mama to a golden, Layla Jane. She is turning 5 months old next Wednesday. We have an almost 4 year old Beagle and we wanted her to have a sister to play with. Miss Layla's personality is unbelievably funny and loving but we do have our hands full with her stubbornness. We chose her because as a puppy, there were 3 of them left to pick from. My fiancé walked towards their play pen and she was the only one to run right up to him. We both fell in love with her. She's very clumsy and rambunctious. She love love loves her sister, even though she is now 15 pounds bigger than her (our beagle was the runt of her litter so she is only 20 pounds and very tiny).

Just wanted some information as a first time golden mama!
1.) Per the breeder, we are feeding her 1 cup, 3 times a day of Purina Pro Plan Focus puppy food. Is this a good brand? When do we switch to only feeding twice a day/Adult dog food?

2.) She already had a pretty nasty UTI that made her potty training more difficult. Thankfully the vet gave us medicine and it cleared up within a week. Her private area kept getting so dirty, even after we would wipe her with a wet wipe after coming inside. She hasn't had an accident in the house for the last couple of weeks but every so often now she will squat and just pee right in front of us. We had her in training to going to the door before her UTI, now she doesn't do that; it's more us guessing when she has to go. Any helpful tips for what we can do?

3.) Her personality is very playful, VERY loving, but she is very stubborn. I read all I could on getting a new dog with another dog. We definitely wanted to make sure our other baby (Daisy) wasn't too old. But a lot of the information said it is more difficult training the new dog because the older dog is a distraction. As I work from home now, it's difficult putting Daisy somewhere else and training Layla. I did get her in a routine of coming in the house after potty, sitting, letting me take off her collar and leash so I can wipe her paws and getting a treat. She does sit when I tell her to, but she gets VERY excited and wound up and it's at those times she acts like she doesn't even hear us. She pulls on the leash, as well as constantly tries pulling on Daisy's leash. We also live in PA so the weather has been cold/snowy and it seems like Layla gets more distracted outside with all of the noise. Any suggestions for training on her own / with the other dog in the house?

4.) Exercise/play time/Sleeping - luckily for us she ALWAYS slept through the night ,even as a puppy. We had to force her to get up and go pee. However, she's not huge on naps. She might get a couple of hours throughout the day, and then she sleeps between 8-10 hours a night. She runs around playing with Daisy for a few hours, we take her on a short 10-15 minute walk. Is she getting too much exercise and not enough sleep? Should we crate her so she can get more sleep during the day? Is she over exerting herself or is she just a crazy puppy!

Thank you for anyone who could help me with these questions! We obviously want to make sure Layla Jane is a happy, healthy puppy but also well trained!

·
Super Moderator
1,990 Posts
Hi there! Welcome to the forum!

1. It is a good brand and as long as she is a healthy weight, that is a good amount of food :)

2. Ask your vet to see if she has a recessed vulva. Keep up with the potty training, it sounds like you're doing a good job! I would get her a bell or someway for her to signal when she has to go or try to encourage her to go to the door again. I would also take her out frequently, or go back to the beginning of potty training (crates, going out 15 minutes after eating, etc)

3. Crate train crate train crate train. Sometimes you have to teach puppies to settle. On that note, it also sounds like she needs more exercise. Goldens are a very athletic breed and need actual hard exercise regularly, at least once a day. If you have somewhere you can play fetch or something with her, that can help burn some of that manic puppy energy.

4. Crate for naps if they aren't settling for naps, but also, she's growing up and she'll need less and less nap time during the day for a little while until her brain matures and she's ready to nap again. I would argue that her play with Daisy probably isn't the sort of exercise that she needs unless they're running. She is also a puppy!

·
Super Moderator Leader
51,654 Posts
Welcome to you and Layla.

Since you have several questions, I moved your thread into the Puppy to 1 yr section so you would get more views and replies.

Hope you enjoy it here.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts