Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, and thank you for adding me! I’ve come to the forum as a resource for breeders. We’ve lived and lost goldens for over 20 years, mostly from rescue/rehome situations, so we are inexperienced with breeders/std expectations/etc. Our interest is in a family pet, that I’d like to train as a therapy dog to go to school with me to read with elementary students, and also to visit at an assisted living facility. As to looks, we seem to be drawn to classic goldens (vs. cream), and the “bigger and blockier” the better. Our initial research has shown us that perhaps “field goldens” are not what we are looking for, but we are still learning! Of course, we are hopeful of all good health info- in rescuing so many over the years we are all too familiar with the poor health conditions of irresponsibility bred dogs. We are in central WI and prefer a breeder in WI so as to more easily maintain a continued relationship throughout the years, but will certainly consider IL, MN, IA, and upper MI for a breeder we match well with. Thank you in advance for your experiences, cautions, and recommendations!

·
Registered
4,238 Posts
Welcome to the forum. Here is a link to a list of reputable breeders in the Midwest
https://www.goldenretrieverforum.com/choosing-golden-retriever-breeder-puppy/483394-2018-midwest-breeder-list.html
I would start with this and also any Golden Retriever Clubs in your areas. If breeders don't have any availability in upcoming litters they may know of someone else who does. My hopes for Rukie are similar to yours but I am still working on getting him to be well trained enough to pass his CGC and therapy dog tests. He is 2.5 years old and still a work in progress. Best wishes on your search.

Reactions: CAROLINA MOM

·
Registered
17,622 Posts
Hi and welcome to the forum, I hope you enjoy it here!.

·
Super Moderator
2,986 Posts
Nice to have you as a new member. I am sure you will find a huge amount of support and useful information here.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Welcome! We got our golden from Dichi Goldens in Portage, WI after an extensive search for breeders in the state. We have nothing but great things to say about them and our golden, Carl is perfect. No health issues and has a great temperament!

Attachments

1 - 8 of 8 Posts