Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

I wish I could be introducing myself under better circumstances, but I found this forum out of searching for reasons why our 6 year old girl Sigma left us so suddenly.

I came home from work last Wednesday afternoon thinking it was going to be an ordinary Wednesday night. I made supper, with Siggy helping cleanup the leftover tomato and lettuce pieces (her favourite), thinking everything was great. My wife and 2 year old came home, and we ate supper, with Siggy under the table in her usual spot. We had some play time with the family, and as usual, my wife went to put our 2 year old to bed, and I took Sigma out for her evening walk, thinking everything was fine. About half way through the walk, something seemed a bit off, she wasn't leading the walk like she usually does, but I didn't think much of it. We made it home, and she found her way to her spot on our loveseat as she always does. When me and the Mrs made our way to bed, Sigma had a tough time getting up, which again struck me as odd, but she did get up and came up to the bedroom like she always does.

Well, at about 2am, she awoke whimpering which woke me and my wife. She was incredibly lethargic, and couldn't move. I knew something was up, and that I had to take her in. We couldn't get her to get up. I had to carry her to the car. I rushed her to the emergency vet, where they had to get her out of my car for me. They wasted no time in attending to her, as her gums and tongue where white. Immediately, they took her away to the back and I waited in the waiting room. When the vet came out to tell me that she had a bad form of hemangiosarcoma on the heart right next to her aorta, I knew things weren't good. Apparently, a tumor which had gone undetected (as she had no symptoms) was large, and bleeding into her pericardium. Little could be done, as the vet even believed chemo wouldn't have bought her more than a few weeks (assuming that the bleeding would stop). They kept her stable for a few hours until my wife could come down. They let us take her out for a walk, and we knew her time with us was done. She wasn't Sigma anymore. The golden who had been so full of life not 1 day earlier was reduced to a shadow of her former self.

It has been 4 days, and we are overcome with grief and dismay about how this disease could take our beloved girl away from us so quickly and when she was still young. We've added her tags to our Christmas tree so she will be remembered over the holidays, but the house is so empty, and a large hole now exists in our family.

We know we want another dog, but are feeling so saddened and empty that part of us wants to rush out to find the nearest breeder with a litter and scoop up a puppy. But we know that isn't best. Our breeder (whom we think has fantastic dogs) won't be having a litter until the summer, which seems so far away. But we are struggling to cope.

Sorry for the long winded note. I was just wondering if others have faced similar feelings on the loss of their companions.

Merry Christmas all,
Adam...

·
Dr. Rainheart
5,563 Posts
I am so sorry to hear this. Know that Sigma is now pain free running at the bridge. RIP sweet girl.

Many members here have dealt with this form of cancer, so I am sure they can offer you some help. I have not dealt with Hemagio, but I did lose a golden much before her time, too, to cancer.

I hope you will stay and share stories of your girl when you are ready.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Hi Adam,

I am so sorry for your loss, I too lost my doggy Sadie just yesterday and know exactly what you are going through. It hurts like hell.

Big hugs,

Mel xxx

·
Missing Selka So Much
17,303 Posts
I am so very sorry for your tragic loss of your golden girl Sigma. Too many goldens die of cancer, especially hemangio. We lost our girl Sophie to a ruptured hemangio tumor and our beloved Selka last year to bone cancer.

I could not live without a sweet golden in my life. We have Gunner and now Sasha . They do not take our other goldens place but so enrich our lives with their unconditional love and devotion. Godspeed dear Siggy! Hopefully she will send you the new golden for you!

·
Super Moderator Leader
49,607 Posts
I am so very sorry for the loss of your girl Sigma, I know this is a very difficult and sad time for you and your family, my thoughts are with you all.

I hope in the days to come, you will be able to find peace, Sigma will forever be in your hearts and with you in spirit.

Only you will know when it's right to bring a puppy into your lives. I lost my boy in Feb. at the age of 15.5 from cancer. He had been with us since he was 8 weeks old. I have a golden girl that was really grieving, she was very close to her brother. A few weeks later I found a young golden boy in my County Humane Society that was very gentle and loving, I knew he would fit it perfectly and he has.

You can never replace one dog with another, each dog is very unique and special in their own way. You can choose to open your heart and home to another though. Sigma will always be with you and she will always be very special. Bringing a new dog into your lives, can be very healing, at least it has been for my family.

When you are ready, I hope you will share pictures and tell us about Sigma.

·
I miss my Buddy
11,534 Posts
I am sorry for your loss. How fragile life is. I am very familiar with the pain of lost. Give your heart time to heal.
Sleep softly sweet Sigma.

·
IKE- Canine Blood Donor
12,542 Posts
I am so very sorry for the unexpected and sudden loss of your precious golden girl. She was much too young. I hope the memories of your sweet girl will help ease the pain of her loss.

Sadly, cancer takes too many of our beloved Goldens...and some much too young. When we lost our Sam, I couldn't imagine another ever filling his paws, but I also could not imagine not having a Golden in my life. A few months after Sam's passing we brought Ike home. He helped to ease the pain of our loss and fill our hearts once again. Goldens are joy, they just are...

·
Graham's momma too!
400 Posts
I am so very sorry for the loss of your sweet girl. I lost my first two goldens this way, they both passed from cardiac hemangiosarcoma, they were only eight years old. They also had no symptoms, almost the exact same story as yours with both of them. I am so sorry you are going through this, it is so difficult and I miss my "boys" everyday and they will always be in my heart as I know your Sigma will be too. The only thing that did ease my pain was getting my Midas a month later. He did not replace, but helped to ease the pain and he made that hole in my heart just a little bit smaller. Sending you hugs from Michigan, Jill and the boys.

·
Premium Member
7,788 Posts
Welcome to the Forum, Adam. This is a good place to share stories photos and stories about Siggy and to work through your grief with the support of a community of people who understand what you are going through. Many members have lost dogs to hemangiosarcoma, which is a particular curse of our beloved Goldens, and many of us have lost dogs quite young.

Your Siggy loved you and she knew that you loved her. Had you known about the hemangiosarcoma sooner, you still would not have been able to save her. I hope you can find comfort in knowing that she is not suffering.

Finding another pup to love is a wonderful idea. Only you and your family will know when the time is right for you. If you don't want to wait until next summer, there are many among us who can help you find a good breeder with puppies available sooner. With any breeder and any litter, I hope you will look up the puppy's pedigree in K9Data (K9DATA.COM Home Page), checking the parents for clearances and looking at the longevity of the pup's ancestors. I hope you'll find that the puppy you love comes from long-lived bloodlines.

Peace be with you,
Lucy

·
Registered
7,753 Posts
My condolences on the loss of Sigma. I hope the happy memories soon overtake the sadness you are feeling today. Sending you and your family strength.

·
Mom to 9 :)
2,383 Posts
I am so sorry for your loss. We lost our Rott'n last year around this time to this horrible cancer (December 23). While he was a rottweiler, his heart was all golden and I miss him terribly. It's a cliche, but time does heal; hopefully, Siggy's memories will soon bring you smiles rather than the tears that are inevitable right now.

·
Premium Member
18,410 Posts
I am so terribly sorry for this sudden and tragic loss. It simply is not fair that cancer takes them like this.

I'm glad you found this forum, you are among many who, first, understand the total devotion we feel for our Goldens, and second, sadly have experienced similar loss and know exactly the grief you are feeling. We understand and there is great support here when the rest of the world doesn't get it.

When you are ready, we would love to hear more about your Siggy. I hope that her memories will be able to bring you a smile very soon, even if it might be through tears.

·
Registered
2,301 Posts
You have my sincerest sympathies on the loss of your precious girl. She was far too young to leave you. Hugs to you and your family.

·
Registered
8,465 Posts
I am sorry for your loss, she was so young, it is a terrible cancer, all of this is fresh, for you, take some time to except what has happened, then start your search, is what i would say.

·
Kristy
9,813 Posts
Welcome to the Forum, Adam. This is a good place to share stories photos and stories about Siggy and to work through your grief with the support of a community of people who understand what you are going through. Many members have lost dogs to hemangiosarcoma, which is a particular curse of our beloved Goldens, and many of us have lost dogs quite young.

Your Siggy loved you and she knew that you loved her. Had you known about the hemangiosarcoma sooner, you still would not have been able to save her. I hope you can find comfort in knowing that she is not suffering.

Finding another pup to love is a wonderful idea. Only you and your family will know when the time is right for you. If you don't want to wait until next summer, there are many among us who can help you find a good breeder with puppies available sooner. With any breeder and any litter, I hope you will look up the puppy's pedigree in K9Data (K9DATA.COM Home Page), checking the parents for clearances and looking at the longevity of the pup's ancestors. I hope you'll find that the puppy you love comes from long-lived bloodlines.

Peace be with you,
Lucy
I couldn't say anything better than this. I have tears in my eyes, it's so, so hard. I hope the support you find here from others who know what you're going through will help.
Wishing you peace, Kristy

·
Registered
6,278 Posts
So very sorry for your loss of Sigma, and so young to go to the bridge.

I hope that in time you are able to remember Sigma with a smile as you think of the happy memories that you all made together, and you will know when the "right" time is to let another into your hearts and lives.

Sadly so many of us have lost goldens (and others) and will know the pain and the hurt that we feel by letting them go even though we know we are doing the right thing for them.

WHAT MOVES THROUGH US IS A SILENCE, A QUIET SADNESS, A LONGING FOR ONE MORE DAY, ONE MORE WORD, ONE MORE TOUCH

WE MAY NOT UNDERSTAND WHY YOU LEFT THIS EARTH SO SOON, OR WHY YOU LEFT BEFORE WE WERE READY TO SAY GOODBYE, BUT LITTLE BY LITTLE, WE BEGIN TO REMEMBER NOT JUST THAT YOU DIED, BUT THAT YOU LIVED. AND THAT YOUR LIFE GAVE US MORE MEMORIES TOO BEAUTIFUL TO FORGET

Run free with new friends and sleep softly Sigma

·
Registered
4,350 Posts
I am so sorry for your loss. I, too, lost my Savanah to hemangio in 2008. In less than 24 hours she went from playing with my other Golden, Chance, to losing her life to this horrible disease.

She had just been in for a senior wellness checkup only a week before with a complete blood panel. They said she was healthy...there were no symptoms until the very last hours of her life. I thought I missed something...how could she have died so suddenly. I felt lost. :(

Then I found this forum and read other's experiences and knew there was nothing I could have done. This cancer is devastatingly quick. I'm happy that you found us.

RIP Sigma...

·
Registered
11 Posts
Hi Adam,

I am so sorry to hear about the loss of Sigma. I lost my sweet Abby one month shy of her 11th birthday to bone cancer and my heart is still broken. It's been very hard for my family but harder on me and my other dog Clancy. I work from home so it was always the three of us during the day w/ our daily routines and activities. We are trying to find a new normal. This forum has been wonderful reading stories and receiving suggestions and advice from other members who have gone through the same thing. Like all the others have said no one will ever replace the love I had for my Abbygirl but I take comfort knowing she is no longer in pain and will be waiting for me so we can cross the bridge together. I found out today that the litter I was waiting for had enough female golden's and I would be bringing her home in 8-10 weeks. I will NEVER forget Abby but I know I can give my love to another sweet girl and still keep Abby in my heart. Please know in time the pain gets less. I highly recommend researching your area to see if you could be put on a waiting list. The summer seems so far and I'm sure you can find one sooner. Check with your local AKC or K9 Date.com home page. They will give you names of reputable breeders. Good luck to you! I know your next Golden will find you.

·
Registered
4,210 Posts
I'm so sorry for the sudden loss of Sigma at such a young age. My heart breaks for you that it happened so quickly. We lost our Di (11 1/2) to hemangio of the spleen. I was very terrible to loose her and happened quickly, but we had 2 weeks from when they thought she had it, to testing and actually letting her go. Cannot imagine how tragic it is for your family when your Sigma was only 6 and it happened so fast. Will keep you all in our thoughts and prayers to get you thru this terrible time.

1 - 20 of 57 Posts