Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I'm Cameron. My Golden's name is Samson. He is almost 5 years old and is my best friend. I've been away for a lot of the past 3 years at college but I'm graduating early and getting married so Sam is coming with me next year and I absolutely cannot wait. Just wanted to introduce myself and also ask a couple questions of whether or not things are normal.

1. I'm pretty sure that I have only heard him bark a max of 4 times. Is this normal?
2. Until recently he had shown absolutely non interest in toys that are meant for him but he'll steal anything from the neighbors that is not meant for him. Is this normal?
3. He is a golden retriever but shows no interest in retrieving. Sometimes he'll do it just great, other times he'll run after it get to it and lay down, sometimes he'll run towards it then go somewhere else, and most often he looks at me like "You expect me to get that?" Is this normal or is he just not meant to retrieve?

Any comments would be awesome, can't wait to hear from y'all

·
Registered
7,753 Posts
Welcome to the forum.
There are goldens here who don't do much barking and/or retrieving. Don't be shy about posting a pic of Samson. We love pics here.

·
Registered
358 Posts
welcome Cameron to the GRF
and welcome Samson

Federico

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Here's a couple pictures of Sam from earlier today. He had a great time with a tennis ball. He seems to like a version of catch more than fetch. Don't really know why. He WILL NOT run after a ball but he will try and jump to catch one, then get it and bring it back to me. Who knows as long as he is playing I'm OK with it

Attachments

·
Administrator
16,477 Posts
We welcome you and Sam to this board.

I think most of your questions have answers that will vary from person to person and from Golden to Golden. I know in the 3 Goldens I have owned one of them wanted nothing to do with retrieving anything. From what you posted these things are probably quite normal for Sam. Thanks for posting pictures of him.

·
Super Moderator Leader
50,873 Posts
Hi Cameron, welcome to you and Samson. Samson is a very nice looking golden boy.

I too live in NC-I live on the coast.

Congratulations on your upcoming Graduation and marriage-you have a lot to look forward to.

·
Registered
43,252 Posts
Welcome to you and Sam,

He is a very handsome boy and seems like a very normal golden. I have 4 goldens and 2 are huge ball dogs and 1 so so and one could care less. You can try to find different things to maybe find something that will interest him. One girl has a dog that will only play with the toy the Chuckit flying squirrel, my Bama only likes regular tennis balls, my pawley only likes the large kong balls.

Now with toys they love anything with stoffuing and it doesnt matter if it is their toys or someone else, like kids or mine. I have some special ones that I keep on a shelf and they will try to talk the cat into knocking them off. LOL

The same with barking Bama and Coco (foster) are not barkers at all, Daisy and Pawley bark at everything. I think each dog is different.

Congratulations on your graduation and upcoming wedding. Is Sam going to be best man or ring bearer?

·
Registered
2,180 Posts
Finn likes to retrieve rocks, so I think it's safe to say that Sam is normal. At least he doesn't like rocks!

·
Mom to 9 :)
2,383 Posts
Sam looks like he could be my Summer's brother - and she could care less about retrieiving anything. The only toy she likes is a stuffed on, preferably the duck you see alot on here, and only for de-stuffing. But she lives to "hunt" lizards, moles, squirrels, . . . LOL. Two of our other goldens live to chase squeaky balls but don't necessarily bring them back and drop them unless you have another ready to throw and squeak it. Sam is a beautiful boy - welcome! and realize what you are describing sounds like a perfectly normal golden (at least to me)!

·
Registered
11 Posts
I'm new around here too and have no advice haha I just wanted to say Sam is a VERY handsome boy!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts