Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,
I was doing a great amount of research about golden retrievers and babies and I come across this lovely website. I'm glad I found, I've got lots of questions.

Me and my wife have adopted an adult golden retriever about a year ago. He's a boy, around one and a half years old when we got him, and right now he's around two and a half. He has been living with us since, we've got a garden with a large balcony, he spends most of his daytime in the balcony with me, walking around the garden and playing simple games with me and my wife. He's a very quiet boy, only barks just before I take him to his daily walk (early in the morning) and sometimes right before dinner. He becomes very playful between 4pm and his dinner time, around 7pm. In the mornings, he is pretty lazy, sits with us while we're having breakfast (very rarely begs for food from the table in the mornings, but almost always begs for food in the dinner time) and he loves fresh water, I change his bowl of water almost five times a day!. Overall, he's a very easy to look after boy, and gives me and my wife much pleasure and happiness to have him with the family. My wife, who has high criterias about cleanliness, dog hair and tidiness, has made a 15x6 feet space, lined with chairs and small obstacles in our living room for the boy so that he can sleep there at nights and go in and out of the house from the garden to be near and around us. Neither she nor me has had a dog living with us before, let alone a golden.

I absolutely have no idea about the puppyhood and young adulthood of the boy except that he's a shy dog, and probably treated bad by previous owner(s). The rescue organization I took from him found him abandoned and could not reach to his owners. We think he's been dumped to the streets (how nice!!) when he either became too big or takes too much time. Same sad story over and over all around the world. Now he's micro-chipped, getting the best care we can, having the highest quality dry kibble we can afford (Purina's dog chows, and believe me dog food and items are expensive in here). Nevertheless, when he's happy and safe, we're both happy and safe. I also spend long afternoons with him in the garden, he really likes lying by my feet when I read a book or write this message.:)
He has done some mischiefs by the time he is with us. The biggest of all was he bit the ear of another golden retriever, younger than him (another boy) who ran towards us without my permission. It was awful, but my boy had no idea what was happening. We were in front my house, and some other golden retriever owner decided we look like a playful and a friendly couple, decided to send his golden amongst our way (the owner of the other golden was just a boy... probably didn't think through). Luckily for everybody, it was not a major bite, and everybody is fine now (checked on the other golden several times after the accident).

Now the thing is we're expecting a baby. We didn't have one, and this will be our first. I have no idea how my golden will get along with a baby. I am a little bit afraid too. I don't think he would harm the baby, at least not deliberately (a tail hit or a small knock over are things I can live with) but still, I have so many unanswered questions about what may happen. We do not have many professional vets or dog care centers, dog trainers in here. Pet culture is very limited in Turkey, unfortunately. However, once or twice my three-year-old niece was here, he was on a leash, and she fed the dog, they were both happy, with my supervision. On another occasion, a friend's 1 1/2 year old daughter was here, my golden was NOT on a leash, and they both loved each other, no harm or injury done. He also lets little kids pet him on the street too, on a leash. (in order to prevent him from jumping). Overall, he's a nice dog who gets excited very easily.
I would love to know from some experienced people how can I manage the baby(ies) and the boy getting along well. I do NOT want to isolate the boy to teh garden most of his time. He has potty training but other than that does not respond to commands (like come or go) all the time. He just enjoys coming and going whenever he likes.:) I tried to train him a little bit but without too much success, however I love the way he is, he's happy, than I am happy. He was very frightened when we first adopted him. He's now slowly regaining self-confidence.

OK then, any comments and any ideas are more than welcome. Thank you all, very much, for reading this rather long post all the way.

·
Registered
3,645 Posts
Welcome to the forum.
Just my own opinion but I think it is all about inclusion vs exclusion. Before having the baby make sure you train your pup the behavours you do want him to do. :) Good long sits/downs taking toys and food gently from people etc. Thinking ahead that you don't want him underfoot when the baby is in the high chair at feeding time teach him to go to his mat/rug and lay there during those times. You don't leave the mat down at all times but bring it out for training and then put it away after training and once he has a good grasp of this behavour you bring it out for those occasions such as high chair feeding time. It can also be used (once he knows the behavour as the place he goes while you eat.

I would set up all the baby supplies before the baby comes home. Any thing that has movement or noise I would expose your dog to it and reward him for good behavour around those objects.

According to some medical articles babies raised around dogs actually have a stronger immune system. So a little dirt and fur shouldn't be a problem with the baby as long as good house keeping is going on. :)

It has been a long time since I had a dog and a baby but way back in time I use to sit on the floor and breast feed the baby and actually play ball for the dog. I would lay a small blanket and changing pad on the floor and actually change the baby on the floor.

If you will be taking walks with the baby in the stroller I would practice and train that also before the baby comes. If your dog knows the rules and practice with rewards you will be all set for great future walks with all included. :)

Make a plan for different occasions that will arise and practice for them. Teaching a dog what you want it to do is much easier than trying to stop them from what you don't want them to do.

And even with older dogs management is a great tool. There are just sometimes you will want to have the pup and baby turning into a toddler separated. Baby gates to contain the dog at times and a playpen to contain the baby at times. :)

And always remember no matter how gentle the dog is it isn't safe to leave a dog and baby/toddler alone together. All interactions need adult supervision.

·
Dog Lover
42,038 Posts
Welcome

Hi all,
I was doing a great amount of research about golden retrievers and babies and I come across this lovely website. I'm glad I found, I've got lots of questions.

Me and my wife have adopted an adult golden retriever about a year ago. He's a boy, around one and a half years old when we got him, and right now he's around two and a half. He has been living with us since, we've got a garden with a large balcony, he spends most of his daytime in the balcony with me, walking around the garden and playing simple games with me and my wife. He's a very quiet boy, only barks just before I take him to his daily walk (early in the morning) and sometimes right before dinner. He becomes very playful between 4pm and his dinner time, around 7pm. In the mornings, he is pretty lazy, sits with us while we're having breakfast (very rarely begs for food from the table in the mornings, but almost always begs for food in the dinner time) and he loves fresh water, I change his bowl of water almost five times a day!. Overall, he's a very easy to look after boy, and gives me and my wife much pleasure and happiness to have him with the family. My wife, who has high criterias about cleanliness, dog hair and tidiness, has made a 15x6 feet space, lined with chairs and small obstacles in our living room for the boy so that he can sleep there at nights and go in and out of the house from the garden to be near and around us. Neither she nor me has had a dog living with us before, let alone a golden.

I absolutely have no idea about the puppyhood and young adulthood of the boy except that he's a shy dog, and probably treated bad by previous owner(s). The rescue organization I took from him found him abandoned and could not reach to his owners. We think he's been dumped to the streets (how nice!!) when he either became too big or takes too much time. Same sad story over and over all around the world. Now he's micro-chipped, getting the best care we can, having the highest quality dry kibble we can afford (Purina's dog chows, and believe me dog food and items are expensive in here). Nevertheless, when he's happy and safe, we're both happy and safe. I also spend long afternoons with him in the garden, he really likes lying by my feet when I read a book or write this message.:)
He has done some mischiefs by the time he is with us. The biggest of all was he bit the ear of another golden retriever, younger than him (another boy) who ran towards us without my permission. It was awful, but my boy had no idea what was happening. We were in front my house, and some other golden retriever owner decided we look like a playful and a friendly couple, decided to send his golden amongst our way (the owner of the other golden was just a boy... probably didn't think through). Luckily for everybody, it was not a major bite, and everybody is fine now (checked on the other golden several times after the accident).

Now the thing is we're expecting a baby. We didn't have one, and this will be our first. I have no idea how my golden will get along with a baby. I am a little bit afraid too. I don't think he would harm the baby, at least not deliberately (a tail hit or a small knock over are things I can live with) but still, I have so many unanswered questions about what may happen. We do not have many professional vets or dog care centers, dog trainers in here. Pet culture is very limited in Turkey, unfortunately. However, once or twice my three-year-old niece was here, he was on a leash, and she fed the dog, they were both happy, with my supervision. On another occasion, a friend's 1 1/2 year old daughter was here, my golden was NOT on a leash, and they both loved each other, no harm or injury done. He also lets little kids pet him on the street too, on a leash. (in order to prevent him from jumping). Overall, he's a nice dog who gets excited very easily.
I would love to know from some experienced people how can I manage the baby(ies) and the boy getting along well. I do NOT want to isolate the boy to teh garden most of his time. He has potty training but other than that does not respond to commands (like come or go) all the time. He just enjoys coming and going whenever he likes.:) I tried to train him a little bit but without too much success, however I love the way he is, he's happy, than I am happy. He was very frightened when we first adopted him. He's now slowly regaining self-confidence.

OK then, any comments and any ideas are more than welcome. Thank you all, very much, for reading this rather long post all the way.
Welcome to you and your Golden-I'm sure he is so happy to have a family like you!! Congrats on having a baby. If you or a trainer can train your dog to sit, stay, lie down, before the baby comes that would really help. Also, if you can't watch him for a short time, you could put him in a crate with a kong toy to keep him busy-just make sure to take his collar off first, so he couldn't catch it and choke.

I googled, how to train your dog to be around a baby and there's lots of info!
http://www.google.com/webhp?sourcei...f.&fp=45a9b9f7ebc6e8ff&ion=1&biw=1145&bih=552

·
Registered
523 Posts
I think you guys will all be fine together. What the pp's have said sounds like great information. I wouldn't leave the dog and the baby alone together ever, and that is for any small child.
What is nice about a baby, is that they aren't mobile and curious about the furball for a while, so the dog will have time to adjust to the presence of the baby before the baby starts to show an interest.
One thing that I would start doing is when you are petting your dog, get him used to having his ears and tail pulled, his face and paws touched, etc, if he is not already used to that.
Another thing you can do is play some soundbites of babies crying every once in a while. I know when I took my son home for the first time, his crying scared my old dog. She got used to it, but it took a little time.
In the end, we didn't treat my son's presence like such a big deal with the dog, so she didn't either.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you all guys for encouraging and nice comments.. He's a very obedient boy, even though he lacks the basic training skills (shame on some people who gets puppies thinking they're stuffed animals) he's very good at spending day on his own, chasing small lizards, butterflies and insects in the garden. I will probably invest to a baby proof/ dog proof wooden fences and baby gates to separate each other, yet allow them to interact and have some supervised contact. After they get used to each other, I'll keep them together in the garden, the boy on leash and the baby on his/her pusette. The first few years, I and the mother have to be a little bit extra careful, but in the end I am hoping to be a one big loving family.
I really want my children to raise around animals. They teach a kid to be more sensitive, smart, loving and more aware of how precious life is. Also, the golden boy has no one besides me and his mom, so he's definitely staying (some people foolishly suggested me to find a "way" about the dog, and that is not going to happen!!)
I am also going to upload some photos of my golden over the weekend. He's very cute. :)
Is giving basic training to a two and a half year old dog is possible, what do you think?

·
shadow friend
3,886 Posts
Just had to say, this is a phenomenal post!! Sol, you should so write a book or something!

Welcome to the forum.
Just my own opinion but I think it is all about inclusion vs exclusion. Before having the baby make sure you train your pup the behavours you do want him to do. :) Good long sits/downs taking toys and food gently from people etc. Thinking ahead that you don't want him underfoot when the baby is in the high chair at feeding time teach him to go to his mat/rug and lay there during those times. You don't leave the mat down at all times but bring it out for training and then put it away after training and once he has a good grasp of this behavour you bring it out for those occasions such as high chair feeding time. It can also be used (once he knows the behavour as the place he goes while you eat.

I would set up all the baby supplies before the baby comes home. Any thing that has movement or noise I would expose your dog to it and reward him for good behavour around those objects.

According to some medical articles babies raised around dogs actually have a stronger immune system. So a little dirt and fur shouldn't be a problem with the baby as long as good house keeping is going on. :)

It has been a long time since I had a dog and a baby but way back in time I use to sit on the floor and breast feed the baby and actually play ball for the dog. I would lay a small blanket and changing pad on the floor and actually change the baby on the floor.

If you will be taking walks with the baby in the stroller I would practice and train that also before the baby comes. If your dog knows the rules and practice with rewards you will be all set for great future walks with all included. :)

Make a plan for different occasions that will arise and practice for them. Teaching a dog what you want it to do is much easier than trying to stop them from what you don't want them to do.

And even with older dogs management is a great tool. There are just sometimes you will want to have the pup and baby turning into a toddler separated. Baby gates to contain the dog at times and a playpen to contain the baby at times. :)

And always remember no matter how gentle the dog is it isn't safe to leave a dog and baby/toddler alone together. All interactions need adult supervision.

·
Registered
1,645 Posts
Is giving basic training to a two and a half year old dog is possible, what do you think?
Absolutely! We got Ben at 3 years old. He had had no previous training at all. Supposedly when he got big, the owner couldn't handle him, so he left Ben tied up outside all the time. He was house trained, but that was it. We got a trainer to come to the house to work with us and show us how to work with Ben. In a very short time he understood basic commands, especially when given with hand signals. (Because he wasn't around people much, he's not very verbal. Words are just noise, but hand signals have meaning.) Later we took him to class so we could work with him in a high distraction setting. He learned. About six months after we got him, he passed his Canine Good Citizen training. Since then we haven't done as much work as we should to continue to improve his obedience, but he knows the most important commands - sit down stay and come.

With a young child, you will want to really work on leave it and drop it, since toddlers are apt to leave toys and food around that may prove tempting to your boy. That is likely to be your biggest issue, but it can be managed by staying aware of things like stray socks (babies hate to keep socks and shoes on) and such.

Generally, golden retrievers are wonderful with kids. Even Ben, who was not around people at all as a young dog, instinctively lies down when kids come over to pet him and is absolutely still despite numerous hands patting him. As they get older, they seem to get calmer and calmer - which will work well for you.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts