Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just introducing myself. My name is Kathleen Petrides and I currently do not own a GR. Please note the "currently". We are starting our hunt for a spring time puppy. I've been checking out breeders and rescue orgs here in WA. Contacted a company called purebreed breeder.com or something like that and was interviewed. I passed. But I also passed on paying the up front fee. The only reason is because I don't know them or anything about them. Oh, premiumbreeders.com

anyway I have 4 kids, 8, 12, 16 and 14. I have owned, or I should say, the family owned a GDR when I was 14 (to 24). He formed my opinion in what I'm hoping for in a new dog. Smart, silly, gorgeous, water loving, soft mouthed, did I mention SMART? Dog was smarter than I was. He came to us with a heart murmur but after 20 minutes with him, we knew that we were never going to let him go. Mom showed him and he did very well, but she wasn't serious about it. I showed him once (remember when I said smarter than me?), darn dog just laughed at me. Needless to say... I failed him that day.

As mentioned, I'm just starting the journey into finding a GDR for this generation of my family. We currently have a schnoodle and he is a GREAT Dog, but we need a GDR to complete the family. We also have 3 cats, 2 rats, a guinea pig, a rabbit, a chinchilla and a hampster. Oh yes, the birds are grumbling in the background, we have two of them too.

I put off looking for a GDR until now as we FINALLY have room for a large dog. 2.44 acres and a HUGE house. So I decided to join this board to get imersed in the GDR mindset and hopefully get some tips, hints etc on how to find a puppy.

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
Hey! We just moved to WA recently! Where are you? We are on Whidbey Island! Congrats on deciding to get a golden puppy! :)

·
They get it
4,446 Posts
Welcome to the forum! Good luck finding the right Golden for your family, be sure to post pictures when you bring your new family member home.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'm in Spokane. As far from Whidbey Island as you can get and still be in the state. ;-) We moved here in August (This is my second time around in Spokane).

I am glad I found this board as I suspect that I'll get invaluable advice when it's time.

Thanks for the welcomes. I appreciate it!

K

·
Registered
4,202 Posts
hi, we're in Western WA.....no info from me on breeders, sorry - got super lucky with a Craiglist dog.

When we were camping at Priest Lake last year, someone from Utah said "alot of good Goldens come from this area" -- what that meant, I don't know. Maybe worth checking Idaho?

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thank you. Will be checking around a lot. I've checked Craigslist too. I know there is an EXCELLENT breeder near here in Mica. Unfortunately for me, but good for them, they don't have litters often and I suspect that as soon as the puppies are born they're already spoken for. We'll find one and we're not in a big hurry. Somehow, potty training a puppy in the snow just doesn't sound like fun!

·
luv my goldens
481 Posts
Welcome to the forum and to WA state. I found my baby girl by going to The GRCA website and locating a breeder through them. I went with a Breeder in Canada. I waited a year for my baby. I do know my breeder should have spring puppies if they aren't already spoken for.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hey Sonja,

Thanks for your kind reply. I'm not too concerned about distance, it's finding a reptutable breeder at the right time. I've been to the GRCA site too. Had a good look around. I've been to a lot of places, including something called "nextdaypets.com" My friend got a puppy that way. I'm a little leery as they seem to have a LOT of puppys. Makes me nervous a bit.

·
Registered
8,990 Posts
Welcome from almost as far away from WA as you can get in the states:wavey: Good luck with searching for just the right doggy for you and your family. He/she is out there and maybe closer than you think!

Al & Tuff Dog

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks Al.

Looked at the picture, lovely dog. Something certainly caught Tuff's attention didn't it? and yep, Georgia is certainly ALMOST as far as you can get!

K

·
Goldens Rule in SW PA!
2,127 Posts
Welcome to the Forum. My brother (now deceased) and his family live in Spokane on North Pines. His son now has the Chiropractic clinic there. My partner and I always enjoy visiting the Spokane area--we're both into the outdoors and really love hiking around Washington State. What a great place!

We wish you well on your search for a Golden. I'm heartened by the fact that you're putting a lot of effort into your search. I'm sure your hard work will pay off in spades...

Best of Luck--and have a Great New Year!

Scott J.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Hey Scott

Thanks for the welcome. Nice to see someone else with some links to Spokane.

Yes, putting in a lot of effort to finding a puppy. I want it to come from a good breeder, not a puppy mill, so recommendations are very nice. After all, nothing sadder than getting a sick puppy from someone who doesn't care. We have 4 children and they would all be super sad if we accidentally picked such a breeder and got a dog with bad hips or a bad heart etc.

Again, thank for the welcome.

·
Now Caue's Dad Too!
37,489 Posts
Welcome to the forum. Having raised a puppy through a Maine winter I can see why you are looking towards springtime but it really wasn't too bad as long as you had your turnout gear ready by the door.

Anyways, please make yourself at home hear.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Well, having to house train a puppy during a MAINE winter would definately be a lot tougher than a Spokane Winter.

One of the reason's I'm thinking Spring is to give me time to figure out WHERE I would like to get a puppy from, to get the family ready for a new puppy and today I got a message and I now have to figure out whether or not I'm looking fora field GDR, all around GDR, a Show type GDR, or just a "lout on the couch GDR". ;-). So looking towards Spring gives me time to do all that. I would feel rushed if I decided NOW was the time and while, if miracles of all miracles, a puppy just showed up on my porch tomorrow morning, I would be thriller than thrilled, I find planning, waiting, talking, learning and taking it a bit slow will make it easier on all concerned.

And this from a compulsive "impluse" shopper! ROFLMAO!!! Okay I'm not that bad, but I AM usually a "I want what I want and I want it NOW" kind of gal.

I did the same with Algie, found a breeder after some time, went through the pregnancy, stipulated no tail Docking and then waited the 8 weeks. EVERYONE (and by EVERYONE, I really mean "Himself") was ready for him to come home by that time.

Everyone (really meaning "Himself") is in the loop about this one, but sometimes, a little time, a little expectation is a lot like Christmas. When it finally gets here it's just the BEST when the preparations are done right.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts