Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
43,252 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I took Joey to the vet today to check for neurological issues. The vet and all the girls were on the floor with him getting him to walk around the room and get excited to see how he walks. She noticed right away like I did that he is not straightening his legs out completely. Almost like he is walking on his tippy toes. And when she felt his paws the back paw is very soft not calloused like the rest of them. And when she had him lay on the floor he kept them bent and she straightened them out and they dont go completely straight. So for right now, she thinks it is more physical than neurological. The tendon on the back leg between the wrist and elbow doesnt stretch the way it should.

Since he spent so much time in a crate, we think it was too small and that is the cause for him not walking straight. We are adding some omega 3 suppliments, doxycycline and rimadyl for a week to see if it will help and if not we will go from there. Also now he can have regular baths with oatmeal shampoo instead of the medical shampoo. His skin is flaky and he is starting to shed the old fur.

The vet is going to contact a physical therapist to see if she will give us a break and do some exercises and swim therapy to see if that will help. She was very pleased with his weight and says he only needs to put alittle more weight on for right now and then we can consider neutering him.

My little guy is so happy we went to Petsmart after leaving the vet and he did so well. He walked so tall and proud in the store and let some little kids pet him and was really good with them. He got a new toy.

·
Marcy
8,914 Posts
Well that is pretty positive, don't you think Carol? Poor guy was just in a crate too long! I hope there is a physical therapist that can help (cheap). I bet Joey would love the swimming part. I hope he continues to improve!

·
Registered
820 Posts
Yay Joey! And what toy did he pick out at the store? So glad he is getting better. I am trying to recall is Joey a foster or a permanent resident?

·
Susan
1,187 Posts
That sounds wonderful. I imagine that as he is more active that will help stretch his legs, too.

You are brave to take dogs into Petsmart. Jamie just goes nuts in there with all the treats, smells, etc.

·
and Miss Riley and Jake
686 Posts
New toys are always good! I too hope he continues to improve.

·
Misty & Holly's Mom :)
8,164 Posts
Carol, that sounds like good news...hopefully therapy can help...and of course your love too!! What kind of toy did he pick out??

·
Missing Selka So Much
17,303 Posts
Oh so relieved he may not have neuro issues! and maybe PT will help his poor legs. That poor baby. I am so glad he is getting better and so happy to have love and care. Makes me tear up just thinking about that little darling. Bless you Carol!
I bet he will LOVE swimming!

·
Registered
869 Posts
Yes, words without photos are just words!:worthless
It is so good to hear some about the positive improvement. Makes sense about the tendons & not stretching because of a small crate. hopefully a PT can even give you some stretching exercises to do.

·
Registered
9,612 Posts
Sounds much more promising than neuro!!!! I hope the meds and/or PT (structured and at home with his mates) help him straighten his legs out.

I cannot (and do not want to) imagine how much time he spent in a crate to cause this.:(

I'll bet he had a blast in petsmart and made eyes at everyone too.:p: I hope he enjoys his toy and gets better every day.

Pictures would be gooooood!

·
Old Gold is the Best Gold
18,122 Posts
What a baby doll. He's so lucky to have you! Now let's see if we can get Joey and Ivy back to glowing health. It'll be hard to let these babies go.

·
Registered
1,259 Posts
Carol,
Please let us know if we can help with $ for PT.
I'm glad to hear he's doing better!
Karen

·
Now Caue's Dad Too!
37,489 Posts
Good to hear that it is a physical problem and not neurological. At least now you have a course of action to hopefully get him back to full health.

·
Tracer, Rumor & Cady
10,683 Posts
very encouraging update...congrats Carol :)
Looks like you and your crew have just the medicine he needs. :)

·
Registered
43,252 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
He is my foster. I will say right now, if I could afford having five dogs(and 3 cats) and also keep my sanity with having a foster also, then I would but I cant. I can tell you I will cry my eyes out when he leaves.
I dont need any help with the physical therapy because the rescue pays for it but if you want to donate to the rescue, I am sure they would appreciate it.

He picked out a striped candy cane stuffie. So far it hasnt been destroyed by the other pups but I think give it a couple of days and it will be.
I do have a pool so if I can find a wetsuit then I can do therapy. I may ask my neighbor that has a hot tub if I can use her tub for therapy. LOL
I will try to get some pictures of him. I know I need to get some.

·
In the Moment
20,515 Posts
Oh Carol, that does sound like good news. I'm trying not to think about how horrid the situation was to get him to that point. GGGGRRRR. Can't wait to see some new pics of the little guy.... I know he's blossoming with your love and care.

·
Registered
2,201 Posts
It does sound like good news for Joey!
Thank-you so much for the update.
Give the little guy a hug from me.

·
Mom to rescue Murphy
191 Posts
That sweet baby! I am so, so glad he came to you, Carol. No one better to nurse him back to his full potential! Think of the joy he's going to bring his new family!

1 - 20 of 25 Posts