Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Valerie
789 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just started a new job and it pretty much stinks, to say the least. I take phone calls all day and set service up for people. It's also a sales job so I have to set up a certain amount of people a day in order to meet set goals. It's really dreadful actually. The only good part about it is that it's less than a mile away from my house and the pay as well as the hours are pretty good.

I feel really stuck at this point with this job. My husband recently got out of the Marine Corps and with his job he took a slight pay cut. Our mortgage recently went up (taxes) and everything seems to be going up for that matter! So dual income is the only way we can really make it without struggling so much. I am 23 and do not have any college education (bad, I know) I was never really that good at school and I actually hated it, to be honest. I have worked since I was 13 and started out in my family's flowers business. Since then I have had other jobs in retail/sales, so that's really all I have ever done. The weird thing is is that I'm not really a "people person" so retail jobs are so unfitting for me, but that seems to be the only jobs available without years of schooling or a trade of some sort.

I just feel bummed and I'm sick of dead end jobs that I hate :no:

·
Hi, I'm Wendee
1,733 Posts
A friend of my cousins went to medical assistant school which only took her a year and now she works in a doctors office. She takes blood and does vital signs and stuff like that. If you wouldn't mind working in the medical field this could be something for you to think about.

·
Super Moderator Leader
49,605 Posts
Seems like there are a lot of jobs in the Health Care Field and it is only going to continue.

I have a friend that does Medical Transcription for a hospital and a Doctor, she works from home.

Medical Billing/Coding is another good field, sometimes it can be done from home too.

I recently saw a story about an up and coming job/field-Health Information Technology, most of the hospitals and Doctor's offices are putting all patient info on computers if they haven't already done so.

·
Registered
30 Posts
A friend of mine was a musician until he got tired of not being able to pay the bills, and then he went to do a certificate course in being a dental assistant.
It was a distance learning thing + hands on experience (being a dental assistant working with a dentist) in a government institute+clinic, and he had no prior qualifications in anything.
It pays well, involves working from 8am to 4pm, but can be boring sometimes - he's fallen asleep once while holding one of those tube things in the patient's mouth while the dentist was fixing the patient's teeth.
Maybe it's an option which may be applicable to you too?

·
Registered
381 Posts
I am old. So I know a "sink or swim" situation when I see it.

I, in fact, had a job exactly like yours. It was bad. But, there are 2 things. Ya gotta make money, and sooner or later things change.

But you are better off than I was. Thats because I didn't have a golden retriever at the time. I am serious. My dog makes everything a little bit better.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Why don’t you try out some jobs like medical transcription, medical coding or medical assistance? The reason I am suggesting these jobs to you are threefold:

1. They are all healthcare-related jobs with excellent prospects.
2. They are office jobs and don’t require you to be out in the field.
3. There will be limited interaction with clients/customers.

If you’re interested in any of these fields, Career Step offers vocational training courses in each of them that you can check out. Visit their website for more details!

·
Kye & Coops Mom
4,466 Posts
Since you love your dog, have you thought about working at a Vet's office or training facility? Many of the jobs there you work one on one with the dog, training is more hands on with online certificates you can work towards (most facilities pay for the class). Pay increases with each level of certification you receive. There is also a need for private dog trainers, show handlers and such. The good thing is you work with animals and less with people. With a lot of work and dedication this is a profession you can obtain high status with without too much extra education.

Reactions: Karen519

·
Dog Lover
42,038 Posts
Mag&Bays Mom

Mag&Bays Mom

I am really good at tallking myself into liking something if need me. I know it's hard, but try to tell yourself this job is just a means to an end and pick something you do like about it, i.e. Helping others, and dwell on that, if possible.
Does that help at all?
I also think that a job you would be working with animals, may be more up your alley!!

Reactions: Jessie'sGirl

·
Registered
9,612 Posts
Thanks for all the suggestions.

I have since quit that dreadful job and I am currently enrolled in a vet assistant program :D
I didn't realize how much life changed when you got "extra" education. I went back to college on a whim 25ish years ago;). the more you now the easier it is. I wish you the best in your new endeavor.

·
Valerie
789 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thank you =)

I didn't either, then it hit me, either I have dead end jobs for the rest of my left and no education or, I go to school and work towards a career in something I like to do!

·
Registered
13,071 Posts
WOW!! Good for you!! That takes a lot of guts. Best of luck!

Reactions: Karen519

·
Registered
12,755 Posts
Way to go! Taking initiative to make a career change is tough sometimes, especially when you are very dependent on having a steady income, have a mortgage, etc. I'm currently in the process of doing a complete career 180 (marketing at a yacht club to wedding photography) and it's scary but so exciting and makes me appreciate having a job I enjoy. I hope you love your new career path!!!

·
Charlotte
6,587 Posts
Congratulations on the initiative to find a career that suits you. With today's economy, you're probably going to be working a long time, so it's best to find a job you'll love going to every day.

·
Dog Lover
42,038 Posts
Mag&Bays Mom

Mag&Bays Mom

Good for you-I think you will love working with animals!!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts