Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

21 - 31 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
1,947 Posts
In Santa Barbara we have dog daycare. I don't know where you live and if they have that. It's a hugely wonderful thing.

·
Registered
1,950 Posts
Congrats on the new job!

Under no circumstances would I ever leave our dogs outside.
Right now the outside temps here are in the 90s (we have a cool front!) and 100s. Unless your dog is used to the outside temps, you may experience huge vets bills for overheating.
How secure is your backyard? Intact fence and no way to dig out? I worry about getting stuck under the fence or escaping. And then there are the dog nappers, which unfortunately do exist (everyone always says it will never happen to the them until it does). We live in a suburb, so wildlife is also a consideration - snakes, raccoons, even bobcats.
My dogs stay inside while we are at work. I leave before my husband, so it is about 8 hours a work day. For the most part, they sleep all day (I know, I'm off for the summer). When Banker was little, we had a college student come over to let him out a couple of times a day. She actually played with all three dogs, so it was a bargain. As Banker got older, we cut back the visits to once a day, then not at all.
We do a walk in the morning and one when we get home.

·
Nancy
7,493 Posts
Hank loves being outdoors but only with us. When we're not home he stays indoors and probably sleeps most of the time. Maggie seems to feel the same way so I'd leave her in while you're at work. You being gone for the day will be adjustment enough.

Enjoy the new job!

·
Registered
2,112 Posts
Congratulations on your new job and that you are concerned for your dog. As mentioned above, doggy daycare might be a good option for you. It is very important, however you decide for your dog that you keep in mind her best interest, not necessarily what is most convenient. Maybe you have relative, someone retired that you trust, or can work out a schedule that on certain days your wife comes home for lunch and on others another plan?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Ruby has remained outside for several hours while we run errands and she has been fine. She enjoys being outside even when we are home. I would be nervous to leave her out all day, however, maybe the dog walker could come in and leave her out after walking her so she would be inside half the day and outside the other half. Just a suggestion and we started leaving Ruby outside when we left an hour at first and then increased it. She has done great with this for up to 3 hours. hope this helps and congrats on the new job!

Sent from my iPad using PG Free

·
Registered
120 Posts
Last year when I took a new job and moved to NC, Bailey had to get used to being by herself for most of the day. I'm gone from 7:15-4:15. I was worried how she would do but she does just fine. The only time she had an accident was when she was on steroids for a short period of time. I do take her to a doggie daycare 2-3 times a week, mainly because I feel bad that she is bored lol! Unfortunately, I work about 35 minutes from home, so coming home for lunch isn't an option right now. Maybe you could find a doggie daycare or a dog walker? Good luck!

·
Registered
1,430 Posts
Remy has been going to daycare every work day since I got him - and back then I worked from home! I had planned it that way before I decided to adopt him.

Dog walkers in my neighborhood run $15 per walk, and my dog would need at least 2 walks a day (I work upwards of 12 hour days), and when not being walked he would still be all alone. I pay the daycare a flat per month fee which allows me to use their services 7 days a week. If I only factor in the 20 work days each month, it is only costing me $21 a day and for that he is well socialized, exhausted by the time he eats dinner and out at least 3 times a day. Oh and that price includes a bath once a month.

I know lots of folks who leave their dogs home all day - and there is no question they are fine. I just knew I couldn't do it - I'd feel too guilty!

Whatever you do, it will be right for you. Best of luck with the new job.

·
Registered
710 Posts
Our Golden girl, who recently passed away, stayed out while we were at work or had an errand or went out to dinner. She was fine with it.

We do have an outside kennel that she went into when she was young. She could not dig or climb her way out and it did have a lock on it. It has rubber horse mats on the bottom, a dog house, water and the east wall is blocked to provide shade until the sun is high enough the roof does. As she got older, we stopped using the kennel, it was her choice if she wanted to lay in there or on the grass or go in the house. (we have a dog door, I know not an option for you)

My nephew, who lives a few doors down, leaves his dog in the house all day and to be honest I feel sorry for the dog. We just had a few days of 90+ degree weather (not typical for WA., so no air) He is a big active German Shepard mix, seems so cruel to leave him the house for hours on end when they have a large yard he could go in. (Just my opinion)

OH! Congratulations on the new job!!

·
Misty & Holly's Mom :)
8,164 Posts
I would never leave my dogs outside all day....but that's just me. I leave my dogs home while I work...one day it ended up being 12 hours...it was fine, although I would not want to do that again. I think your pup should be fine for 7-8 hours....I don't feel bad for dogs in the house during the day..I know mine sleep most of the time anyway. ......ohe and CONGRATULATIONS ON YOUR NEW JOB!! What will you be doing?

·
Registered
22 Posts
We've had our 9 month golden for around a month and I let him out to the backyard during the day o potty and at times when I can't supervise him around my toddler. He is in the shade outside and I make sure he gets ice water while he's out there. Since we're still working on housebreaking when I go run errands or go grocery shopping i used to leave him in the crate, but lately I let him outside and it's already backfiring. He has started barking anytime I crate him ;(

Sent from Max's Mom's iPhone

·
Registered
22 Posts
I just realized my post did not seem relevant to your issue ;) what I was trying to say is, leaving them outside will start to give you new issues that you may not currently have to worry about.

Sent from Max's Mom's iPhone

21 - 31 of 31 Posts