Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello All,

Just happened onto this site today. I have owned 3 wonderful goldens over the last 20 years, had been fairly involved in the breed via being a member of several golden clubs and local rescue, and sadly lost my last golden my beloved female Kelly at age 10 just before Christmas from a stoke. I cannot begin to describe how empty I feel as this is the first time I have been "goldenless" in 20 years. I am still very much grieving this loss, but feel goldens are so much a part of my life, even without one at this time, connecting with other owners will help me heal from my loss and maybe one day open my heart to having another in my life. Looking forward to sharing on this forum.

·
Registered
33,267 Posts
Welcome to the forum. I'm sorry it's under such sad circumstances, but unfortunately, that's how a lot of people find us.

I'm sure you'll have a lot to offer our family of Golden lovers.

Again, you have my sympathy for all your losses.

·
Banned
1,156 Posts
hi you should love it here.
sharing in the tales of other dogs and pups can be rewarding in itself.

so sorry about kelly.

·
Registered
16,393 Posts
I can tell how much you miss Kelly. Losing then suddenly is very hard. I lost two elderly goldens and greeted two puppies in one year; it was like sunset and then sunrise. The antics of a puppy are so cheerful, busy, and silly, that it really does help mend your heart. I say, puppy!

·
Registered
1,889 Posts
I can tell how much you miss Kelly. Losing then suddenly is very hard. I lost two elderly goldens and greeted two puppies in one year; it was like sunset and then sunrise. The antics of a puppy are so cheerful, busy, and silly, that it really does help mend your heart. I say, puppy!
Firstly, welcome to the Forum, I hope you will be able to share pictures and stories of the Goldens you've shared your life with... the memories are so precious! I'm so sorry for your loss, it's so hard to bear, but you've come to a place (this Forum) where others can really understand what it means to grieve for a loved and lost pet.

I can't say enough how much I agree with Ljilly's comments! We waited a whole year after losing our GR Spud. I still couldn't talk about him without getting emotional, my husband declared he was never having another dog as the loss affected the whole family so acutely. But do you know what, when Obi bounced into our life at 8 weeks old, everything changed for us. He brought joy and laughter back into our home... we added another pup a year after that and have never looked back.

My only regret is that we waited a whole year, as the pain during that time was indescribable. Our healing as a family came in the form of a new pup. I know its different for everyone, but it surely healed our hearts. We still think about Spud all the time, but it isn't so all-consuming any more.

Good luck, and please visit the Forum whenever you can...

·
Rufus' Mom aka Linda
1,357 Posts
I am sorry for your loss of Kelly. Having lost our girl in November very suddenly, I know how much it hurts. Time will heal and you will know when it's the right time to open your heart again. I'm glad you found this forum, it sure helped me and the people here are wonderful. I love the way Ljilly put it, the sunset and sunrise idea...I hope very soon you are enjoying a sunrise again!

·
Registered
2,657 Posts
Welcome! I am so sorry about your loss of Kelly. In time your heart will be ready to love another and that will be a very lucky pup. In the meantime feel free to share your story and pictures of your Goldens.

·
Registered
43,252 Posts
Until you feel ready to share your life with another golden, we would be glad to share all of our pups, so you can smile and laugh remembering all the fun times with Kelly, Bailey and Duffy.
Welcome to the forum,

·
Scouts Mom
844 Posts
Hello and welcome! I am so sorry for your loss. Please share your memories of Kelly with us. I'm sure she was a wonderful, beautiful girl. You are going to love it here.

·
Now Caue's Dad Too!
37,489 Posts
So very sorry for your loss. You have found this forum for the same reason many of us have, losing a beloved golden. I only lasted two weeks, after losing my Arby to Lymphoma three years ago, before I brought my Oakly home. What a difference it made to me. It didn't cure the heartache but really improved my quality of life for sure.

·
Registered
20 Posts
we all know how you feel

We just lost our first golden after 10 years in Nov and it also came very fast. We had gotten him one month after we married so every memory we have is with him and it crushed both of us. I had to go back to work and face the world but my wife did not and she just spiraled into the abyss and cried in our bedroom every night. After three weeks, which is unimaginable, I called a girl at work who breeds them and I told her to bring me a puppy to work, sight unseen, on the next monday. I picked him up and that was it for me. I then went home and right before I knew she was coming home, put him in the shower, closed the door and hid in the other room. That was three months ago and now we are doing much better. My wife still has moments of sad reflection but then she is singing and laughing again and without our dear Riley, I didn't think it was possible. I agree with the earlier posting about the sunset and sunrise. There's nothing like a puppy to keep you so busy that you don't have time to sit around and think so much. It truly reminds you, everyday, that life goes on. I hope we can help you.
:)

Attachments

·
Registered
344 Posts
Welcome! I'm so sorry about the loss of your dog. Most of us here know how hard that is. I also have to agree with those that have suggested that another puppy might have offer you some relief from your grieving. My husband and I lost our golden over a year ago now and I couldn't see another golden on the street, on the TV, in a magazine, anywhere, without tearing up until we started looking for a puppy. We're still waiting for your puppy to be born but he's already made me start to mend. You can never replace the one you lost but you can welcome a new little love into your life. Good luck!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts