Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everybody! I just found this site and am hoping some of you can help me!!! We have two goldens, Duke who is almost 5, and Ella who is 8 months old. Duke is Ella's daddy. Our problem is with Ella. She is 8 months old this week. She just will not listen at all. She will sit, lay down, and "give 5" (shake) but she refuses to stay. She will stay if I look at her, but the minute I turn my back she is up and going. She walks pretty well on a leash. When I take her out to potty she tends to want to take off to the neighbors yard and barks at me when I call for her to come back. Then I have to chase her down. Then, she pulls against me and pushes and straightens out her legs the whole way home. I just want to cry!!!! Duke is sooo good. He went through his puppy stage but nothing this bad. When we have them outside, she jumps all over biting at Duke, which I am thinking was being playful, but now I am wondering about everything. It doesn't seem to bother him but it does me. I just don't know how to get through to her. I've had dogs all of my life......all MALES.....and have never had this much trouble. Please help!!!

·
Now Caue's Dad Too!
37,489 Posts
Ella is at a very difficult age. They like to test their limits at that age and can be very aggravating. I would strongly suggest searching out a basic obedience class and giving it a try. They are lots of fun.

·
Premium Member
18,600 Posts
Welcome to the board! I'm glad you joined us. We love pictures, so be sure to post some of your pups.

Keep a leash on Ella for now, she is not ready to trust unleashed, especially if you don't have a fence. She has already learned she doesn't have to come when called, so you will have to back track and retrain recall with her. You can get a long lead line, 30 or 50 ft to give her room to move around and then start calling her to you, you will probably have to reel her in at first, but when she gets to you no matter how much resistance she gives, always treat and praise for coming to you; and then let her go play some more, calling her to you then letting her go play will teach her that coming when called doesn't always mean the end of her fun and she will be more willing to come to you.

Working on stay takes time and tiny steps. Put her in a stay, step back, wait a few seconds then go reward her for staying. Slowing increase the space between you and the length of time you have her stay. It just takes consistent training and patience, she sounds like a thinker and you'll have to be persistent and never stop training with her.

Good luck!

·
Nancy
7,493 Posts
Welcome to the teen years! This too shall pass. Every dog is different but I'm willing to bet you've forgotten some of Duke's teen rebellion over the years.

As for Ella jumping all over Duke, when he's had enough, he'll let her know. I wouldn't worry about that.

Hang in there!

·
Love my Golden Boys!!
7,079 Posts
Our puppy Lincoln, who is 9 months old, used to jump all over Reno (who is 9)....a few growls here and there, a couple of rolls and he got over it. He still does the wiggle bum in front of him but Reno doesn't mind that.

·
Registered
27 Posts
My puppy is only 4 months so he hasn't quite hit the "teen" stage yet but I know it is coming. We are currently working on basic puppy obedience through Petsmart. It is inexpensive and we love it! The first things you learn are sit, stay and come. Like others said, use baby steps and don't let her get away with running. Keep her on a leash until she masters the come command. Good luck!

·
Missing Selka So Much
17,303 Posts
mylissy gave you great advice/ Lots of long leashed recall work with lots of praise!

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for your help everybody!!! I think after Christmas I will try to find a good trainer to help me. Figures......the only girl in my life (I have 3 boys and 2 male cats) and she is the most stubborn!!!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts