Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello!

I've been lurking on this board for a couple months. I have a 2 year old lab mix, but this board is the BEST source I've found for dog sport info! So...I hope its ok that I am here and read and contribute. I DO enjoy seeing the pics of all the beautiful goldens!

I've been doing agility with my lab for a little over a year. We've also done some rally and tracking but I really want to do obedience! Because of our other training, we have a pretty good working relationship and my boy has a work ethic that I'm proud of. My goal is to work through the levels of AKC obedience. I don't have visions on OTCH, but this is my Novice A dog and I feel we've got the potential to get a few titles.

I live in an area that offers no competitive obedience classes. I am looking into taking private lessons with people that live a couple hours away. I have a few questions about private lessons...

-Will working with someone 2-3 times a month accomplish much at this early stage (I can only budget so much time/$ to travel to these sessions. I'm willing to train daily though...we already do)

-How do I know if the person I'm studying with is the best for *my* dog?

-Are instructors willing to take on Novice students and teach them the ropes?

-Will any one care that I have a mutt who probably isn't going to be the next obedience champ? I love my pup dearly but I know that he's kind of a dork and still very much a puppy. We are working on things like impluse control and not being a fool...maybe he'll grow up someday!

Anyway, any more info/tips that you have would be great! Thanks guys!

·
where the tails wag
13,380 Posts
Hi & welcome :)

A few privates a month will be more than many of us can do :) You'll do fine and instructors usually love to work with new people - as long as you take their advice and are open with them about any reservations & concerns you may have.

Mutt?? If they care, they aren't for you .. but honestly, all americans are now allowed to enter AKC performance events so that should not be an issue at all.

If you can, try to visit and chat with potential instructors. You know your dog best - and how you want to work with him. Some instructors use primarily positive methods, some use a combination and some use primarily correct based - what do you want with your dog? If your dog starts reacting poorly or is not learning, seek out a new instructor.

·
Titan1
2,353 Posts
I would love to hear where in Iowa you are located. I might be able to get you with a trainer...Can you send me a message yet?

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you!

I need 15 posts to be able to private message. Will go comment on some pic threads for a while.... ;)

If it helps, I am in the cedar falls/waterloo area...willing to travel!

·
Titan1
2,353 Posts
Thank you!

I need 15 posts to be able to private message. Will go comment on some pic threads for a while.... ;)

If it helps, I am in the cedar falls/waterloo area...willing to travel!
Hey I was raised very close to that area.. Let me ask around..I know there is a kennel club in Cedar Rapids.. Hawkeye kennel Club....Give me some time and I will find you some classes near by..
Michelle

Reactions: Sally's Mom

·
Titan1
2,353 Posts
Here you go....mckc3
Check out the website.. They have classes..

·
Registered
8,164 Posts
Is it that easy? I live in southwest LA, can you find me a class too? Pretty please?

·
Loving Flyball
1,626 Posts
Welcome to the forum!! You are less than 3 hours from where I am in Southern MN:) I will ask around and see what I can find, otherwise here are a couple ideas.

Cedar Rapids Kennel Club
Cedar Rapids Kennel Association

Hawkeye Kennel Club is also near that area, but I do not have any of their info, I have only shown down there.

It is very exciting to get another performance person here on the forum!! I hope to see you at the shows someday!!

·
They get it
4,446 Posts
Welcome to the forum! I'm glad you found us. We would love to see pictures of your pup and to hear his training successes! It sounds like you have some pretty good suggestions already, have fun!

·
Casey and Samson's Mom
221 Posts
Private lessons can be wonderful. Early on, try to establish a common training philosophy or "agree to disagree" stance with your coach. For example, my coach is a firm believer in the "forced retrieve" which involves ear pinching. I understand the rationale, know that it works and is not cruel, but could not subject my guy who is plagued with ear infections with another torment to his ear. So I worked using positive methods for 3+ months to get the retreive...we agreed to disagree. You do need to take careful notes during the practice sessions and PRACTICE between lessons, or the whole thing is a waste of your time and money. I love my "privates with Frances"...although I also do group classes with her, having her focus and attention on us and our current "ISSUES" is wonderful. My problem is she is so busy with students that it is hard to get a spot on weekends, which is when I can do it. good luck

·
Super Moderator
4,243 Posts
I'll tell you what I would do. I would try to find 2 or 3 other people to train with. Maybe one of you has enough experience to lead the rest. I would buy a minicam to record sessions so that training can be analyzed and you could see yourself train. And I would get the privates. You can accomplish much outside the obedience class if you put your mind to it. And you can save some money. My trainer gets $60 an hour.

I travel an hour once a week to get to my obedience class and that is a hardship because my trip can turn into a 90 minute trip. What you want to do is an additional hardship. Also, if you are going to travel, take your time in choosing your trainer, making sure you don't hook up with someone you don't like. Select, don't settle.

Good luck. Something tells me that you are going to do quite well.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts