Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, looking for the best breeder for a field retriever that has lots of energy and very good genetics. My previous dog was a Belgian Malinois that I waited 2 years for so time is not a issue nor is price. I understand some breeders are associated with certain temperaments, etc of dogs.

Anyhow, any recommendations for the most well known and respected breeders? I'm in Texas but willing to travel anywhere.

·
where the tails wag
13,343 Posts
Luke Brick - perhaps if you could give detail on what you plan to do with your pup, who you plan to train with and/or what clubs you are planning to join, what you are looking for (field trial dog, hunt test dog, personal hunting companion, any other venues you pan to pursue etc) you could receive detailed answers.

A breeder will generally interview a prospective buyer for compatibility between their dog lines and a prospective buyer.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hey guys, new here. I’ll be straight up, after browsing here I obviously don’t know exactly what to look for and all the terminology associated with it. Hope y’all can help a fella out.

Heres my lifestyle and criteria. Love adventure and looking for a solid trail buddy and personal hunting dog. I don’t need a specifically for showing or just hunting, but an overall great companion that has a great drive.

With that said, I do want the best of the best in terms of health with all the OFA clearances and a fantastic family lineage.

I’m in Dallas, TX and am willing to travel nationwide to find the perfect one.

Are there any nationally recognized breeders known for putting out the best goldens? Like a breeder you mention to someone and anyone worth their salt knows who they are. Kinda like saying you own a Ferrari, if that makes any sense. I understand if that’s not the case and there’s a ton of great equal breeders within each state.

With that said, could anyone help me on my journey to find a great breeder? I figured by skipping the google search and just asking for recommendations on here could save me a lot of time and heartache.

Thanks! I’m so excited

·
Super Moderator Leader
45,739 Posts
Welcome!

I merged your two threads into one so all the info and replies would be in same thread.

Good luck with your search.

·
Super Moderator
624 Posts
If you want a proven hunting dog, with lots of drive from a very accomplished breeder you may want to check out Adirondac Golden Retrievers. They are well known for producing dogs with lots of drive.

They typically place pups in very active or working homes. They are more field-type, though as I was reading the GR News that just came in the mail, they also get CCA’s on their dogs too, which means they also breed with the breed standard in mind.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
If you want a proven hunting dog, with lots of drive from a very accomplished breeder you may want to check out Adirondac Golden Retrievers. They are well known for producing dogs with lots of drive.

They typically place pups in very active or working homes. They are more field-type, though as I was reading the GR News that just came in the mail, they also get CCA’s on their dogs too, which means they also breed with the breed standard in mind.
Awesome thank you! Maybe it’s just a coincidence, but from what I’ve seen a majority of the field goldens have more of a reddish color than creme. Does that hold true? Just curious, thanks.

·
Registered
6,622 Posts
I saw the cutest little girl yesterday @ the hunt test hosted by MidFL-
check with Ron Rubrecht (Turbo).

·
Super Moderator
624 Posts
Awesome thank you! Maybe it’s just a coincidence, but from what I’ve seen a majority of the field goldens have more of a reddish color than creme. Does that hold true? Just curious, thanks.
Yes, generally speaking. That’s not to say you couldn’t find a breeder that has lighter-blond dogs that also compete. However when you se breeders advertising “English Cream”, it is almost always a marketing ploy to charge more for puppies, and most of the time those breeders don’t do anything with their dogs.

The most recent GR News was the field issue, and looking at all of the Goldens competing in field and hunt events, there is a wide variety of shades.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts