Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We have a GR who is purebred. We had her for less than 24 hours when she had a litter of 9.

We are not a breeder and have never owned a dog (see where I'm going with this? LOL).

The pups are now a little over 3 wks. I need to know the best time to separate them from mom, how to wean off mom, where to find contracts for buyers, how I should advertise and how I can be confident they are going to good homes.

Any help would be so awesome! I'm gonna be here a lot I think! :uhoh:

·
Registered
1,061 Posts
Welcome to the forum! I'll bet you are super-busy with all those puppies!

Lots of questions come to mind. Do you know the sire dog? Do you know the history of both parents? These are the first things to consider if you're intending to sell the puppies. If you have a shadow of a doubt about their bloodlines, it's probably better to contact a local Golden rescue group and work with them to place the puppies.

There are some very knowledgeable people on this forum, and I'm confident that your questions can be answered.

Good luck, and please keep us posted.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I posted pics in the pic forum (sorry, don't know the name??).

I know both parents are AKC registered as well however I don't know about their bloodlines and such. I could probably find out though.

·
Reyna 1997 to 2004
2,720 Posts
Here's a link to some tips. It's not exactly on topic but it has some excellent information and advise. Finding a new home for your pet

Also, you might want to pull an adoption application from one of the many golden retreiver rescue sites. They usually ask the potential family to consider things like how much goldens shed, how much exercise they need, and how big they get -- all typical reasons why goldens wind up in rescue. I'd also quiz potential buyers about how prepared they are to raise a golden puppy. It's time consuming and a lot of work.

Those pictures you posted are fantastic, by the way. I too have never seen puppies still in their sacs. Just amazing. And mom looks so darned proud (as well she should be). Bless you for taking her in, and for assuming the responsibility for finding loving homes for her puppies. Good luck!

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Here's a link to some tips. It's not exactly on topic but it has some excellent information and advise. Finding a new home for your pet

Also, you might want to pull an adoption application from one of the many golden retreiver rescue sites. They usually ask the potential family to consider things like how much goldens shed, how much exercise they need, and how big they get -- all typical reasons why goldens wind up in rescue. I'd also quiz potential buyers about how prepared they are to raise a golden puppy. It's time consuming and a lot of work.

Those pictures you posted are fantastic, by the way. I too have never seen puppies still in their sacs. Just amazing. And mom looks so darned proud (as well she should be). Bless you for taking her in, and for assuming the responsibility for finding loving homes for her puppies. Good luck!
Thanks for the link, I'll check it out!

Thanks for the compliment as well. This is much harder than either of my children. LOL I want to do the best but I have no clue what the "best" is and question myself all the time.

·
Registered
2,813 Posts
You sure have your hands full - wow. Pups can leave as early as 7-8 weeks of age. Id post ads at Grocery stores, internet.....word of mouth.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
How weird. My inbox originally said I have 2 msgs (the welcome msg and my message to you).

I went to it and then it showed all 3 of your msgs. Who knows.

Anyways, I got it and replied. Thanks! :D

1 - 17 of 17 Posts