Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Banned
2,656 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Lincoln tonight started to eat Rubys poo. Hes NEVER done this before EVER. I offered him his own (I wouldnt let him actually eat it) to see if he would and he showed no interest in his own. Offered Rubys and he went to inhale it.

I am not sure if he would eat other dogs other then Rubys.

Why is he doing this? Its peeving me off. The only new medication is Vanectyl P and Cephelexin

·
Super Moderator
4,326 Posts
I have a poo eater too. She loves to eat our other dogs even right as it's coming out of him! So gross but sadly I have gotten used to it. She used to eat her own at times and now only ocassionally and her special treat seems to be when it's frozen. I have read that it may be a defiency in their diet but our breeder warned us it is quite common in Goldens's but I see Lincoln is a handsom GSD so that theory doesn't fit. The only answer I have found is picking it up right away.

·
Banned
2,656 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I thought maybe the Prednisolone in his medication was making him starving (listed as a side effect is more eating/drinking) and he was so hungry he decided to eat poo. But if that was the case wouldnt he eat his own to?

Hes not a GSD :). His mother was a pure Belgian Malinois and his father was 1/4 Shepherd and 3/4 Malinois. So not sure what that makes him haha.

My previous dog was a GSD and he loved any ones crap including his own.

This is just a new habit and its concerning me. I am not sure why they eat poo to begin with. Hes been on this diet for 3 months now and nothing has changed. Maybe I should add a Multivitamin into his diet?

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
I call them poop sickles. Jake used to love them (Lillie's, not his own). Yes, the first step is making sure your yard is poop free and being diligent, but realistically that's not always pleasant in the winter months especially when you go to work & come home in the dark. Personally, I can't wait until it's spring (except for the mud).

1 - 4 of 4 Posts