Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

My five year old golden Ohia is wonderful 99% of the time. He is great on and off lease, listens well, and is a mellow guy when it's just me and my spouse at the house. He gets long off-leash walks every day in addition to plenty of play time in our big yard.

BUT, whenever we have people over, Ohia turns into a completely different dog. He is still SUPER friendly, but gets so worked up and excited that he wont leave our guests alone. Nudging them, grabbing sleves, and leaning all of his weight against them. He doesn't jump-up, but the night becomes a constant battle of us yelling "Ohia, lay down!" and pulling him off of our guests (who try to just ignore him). We try to place him in the sit and stay position, but, he just won't hold it. With weekend guests, he usually settles down after the first night. But, that first evening is embarassing.

Usually, if we know we have friends coming over we'll take him for an extra long exercise time to drain some of that energy. But, he still gets wild with excitment. He isn't crate trained, and if we put him outside, or barracade him in an area of the house where the people aren't he will bark and cry. We've also tried keeping him on a leash for the first few hours of a visit, but he is still manically obsessed with getting-to the guests (even after they've greeted him). Distractions work temporarily. A bone or Kong will keep him busy for about 30 minutes, but once he's full, he jumps right back to manic. He's obsessed with people, which is normal for a golden, but we need him to be more respectful to guests.

The problem is that we don't have people over very often, and with his manic behaviour, it's hard for us to invite people over.

Does anyone have any training tips that we can work on when it's just us at the house? And/or suggestions for when we do have people over?

He has been this way for years. We're glad he's so friendly, but this is a disrespectful behaviour to our guests and we would love to see him get over it.

Please help!

·
Registered
532 Posts
I have the same issue too. I have a cabinet just off of the entry way and when guests arrive I pull out some tasty chew bones from the cupboard. They proudly walk around showing their treat to our guests but then settle down quietly on the rug to work on their bones. Now when the doorbell rings mine run to the cabinet first!LOL

·
Registered
43,252 Posts
bumping up

·
Bailey Boy's Pop
410 Posts
It is a hard behavior to break. I would try to get him around people more so It becomes and everyday thing. Take him to area's with distraction and work on training in distracting environments. Introduce him to a lot of people but only treat and praise when he sits politely for petting. You can try having people come into the house and if the dog gets crazy the people walk right out and the pup gets nothing. No attention, praise, reprimand NOTHING. He only gets attention when he is behaved. Good luck.....

·
Humankind. Be both.
7,650 Posts
It's almost impossible to train him to be calm around visiting people when you don't have people visit that often. He needs to practice.

I'd start by teaching a rock solid down stay on his bed or mat while just the family is home. Then work up to the family trying to distract him. Then work up to someone in your family ringing the doorbell or knocking (if that's the start of the excitment for him). Beyond that, you need guests to come over and help you by being the distraction. Start easy; 1 or 2 calm people who will ignore him, etc.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the advice! We're going to start working harder on his down and stay. Plus we're going to change our coming home routine. One person will go inside and sit- or down-stay Ohia while the other attempts to enter. If he breaks, the person will just close the door. Since we can go through this daily it should be great practice for him.

Yesterday he was pretty excited by a municipal worker coming over, but went back to plodding around the yard pretty quickly. Good boy!

·
Griff's a Muffin Thief!
3,165 Posts
Oh what a beauty he is and very hard for guests to ignore him!

I feel your pain - Griff turns into a nutter when ADULTS come for a visit. Thankfully he is a LOT better with Children - I don't get it but I'm thankful for it.

While he is getting better he's not quite where I want him to be yet - especially with one of my best friends. He sees her once a week and she walks in - he goes nuts "Oh Joy! My bestest friend is here! I haven't seen you in 100 years!!!"- we could leave for 5 minutes and come back in and it's the same response! "Oh Joy! My bestest friend is here! I haven't seen you in 100 years!!!":doh::doh::doh:

Sometimes I put him out on the back deck for a bit of a cool down. When I let him back in he'd better be calmer or he's back out again. He is better but not perfect yet. We had a family BBQ with about 24 people in the yard and he albut went bonkers! He didn't know who to visit first!

I think both our boys need more guests to come to the house for more exposure and training.

·
Marcy
8,914 Posts
He is absolutely gorgeous! Abby is five and still does the Watusi when anyone arives.You wanna be my friend? You put up with my dogs. They settle eventually. :)

To their credit, they never jump on the grandmoms.

And if you don't know what the Watusi is, check out Twist and Shout

1 - 9 of 9 Posts