Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello everyone.
I'm brand new to this website. I am getting my very first golden retriever in 2 weeks and I am getting ready and preparing everything.

I was a bit curious on dog food.
I read up about how Iams and Purina and other commercial dog foods are very bad for dogs and I saw many people use Canidae All Life Stages.

Has anyone tried it for their golden?

My puppy will be 8 weeks when I get him - how much Canidae will he be needing per day?

Also: if you guys have any tips for me, please tell me them!

·
Mercy Miracle (M&M)
5,097 Posts
Let me be the first to welcome you! Congratulations on your new puppy! I so look forward to seeing you bring him home. I'll bet you're really excited!

·
Registered
2,941 Posts
Congrats on your new pup. Have you discussed food options with your breeder? What food does your breeder's goldens do well on? I would be hesitant to even be thinking about a food change during the transition from your breeder's home to yours. Too many chances to upset the tummy & get into a circular battle with loose stools.

·
Nancy
7,493 Posts
Welcome to the GRF :wavey:

Congratulations on your new boy.

I would continue feeding whatever the breeder is for a month or so until puppy settles in. There really isn't one perfect food, some of the higher-end foods are too rich for some. When my Hank was a puppy he ate Innova LBP then I switched him to the adult recipe. There was a recall and after some trials/errors I switched him to Blue Buffalo. I had to watch the ingredient list when choosing a food since salmon gives him itchies.

At eight weeks Id try maybe a 1/2 cup 3 times/day. Your breeder should be able to guide you.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Just curious, would you be getting your dog from Sandspur? I'm getting a puppy in two weeks too. Just thought since you were from Florida, you may be getting a puppy from there too.

·
Wyatt Earp
3,595 Posts
Welcome! I would too stick with whatever the breeder is feeding. My first golden and Wyatt both ate/eat Iams with no problem. So no it's not bad.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts