Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just brought home my new puppy, Jake on the 18th of December. I have had smaller dogs before when I lived with my parents, and my husband has had bigger dogs including labs with his parents. This is our first dog and we want to make sure we take the proper care of him while he grows up.

When we went to get him, he had 5 brothers and 3 sisters. He was the smallest of them all, yet was a very independent and active puppy. The other puppies were playing together very rough, ours was on his own exploring his surroundings and would come and play with the other puppies every once in a while. We were the first ones to take a puppy home so he never saw any of his siblings leave.

When we came home we introduced him to our 1 year old female cat and our 7 month old male cat. The dog loves them and plays with them as if they were puppies. The cats just let him bite them and just climb up when he is too rough but never wack or hurt him. He loves them very much.

So far the puppy is active for a half a hour to a hour then goes to sleep for a couple of hours and repeats again. He is very active when he is awake and loves to chew on his new toys. I am trying to potty train him on pads since we just bought a new condo that is very roomy and big so we will be training him to go inside. We have a huge bathroom which we have made his potty area. He uses it sometimes on his own, but i think its more of he just happened to go in the right place. I place him on his pad (and i put fake grass on top of it so it looks like the outside grass to help a little more) and tell him " Go pee". Sometimes he does but most the time he just wonders off and goes pee on the carpet a second after i told him to pee on his pad. Im assuming hes only 7 weeks old and he doesnt fully pay attention yet and hope he gets better with time on his potty trainin. I take him to pee after he wakes up and after feeding or play time but still he just runs off and does not want to be on his puppy pad when i tell him go pee firmly and put him on his pad for a few minutes. I let him go and he goes to pee on the carpet. When he does pee on his pad I praise him alot and tell him good boy. When he starts going on the carpet i rush him to his pad and tell him go pee there but its always too late and he never finishes on the pad. Any suggestions I would really appreciate !

Also he is on purina puppy chow since this is what the breeder was feeding him and dont want to mix his food up right now. Any help on nutrition and what I should feed him I would greatly appreciate !

Any information that you think can be useful to us as first time golden retriever puppy parents would be very helpful. I have attached a picture of jakey, enjoy.

Attachments

·
Mom to Bailey & Burgundy
4,217 Posts
Oh he is so sweet!! Congrats on your new addition :) I don't have much advice re: pad training a puppy - but it sounds like you are on the right track. I would use the same advice that others use for housetraining - Put him on that pad every 30 minutes, after he plays, sleeps, eats...constantly... and then when he DOES use it, celebrate like mad! He will very quickly associate that going on the pad = good stuff!!

Keep sharing pictures with us!! and Welcome to the forum :wave:

·
Registered
27 Posts
What an adorable little furball! He looks so cozy!

Unfortunately, I don't have much advice to offer - I'm waiting on getting my first puppy in a couple weeks and I'm sure I will be asking similar questions then! (Or I'll be reading the replies you get on this thread) I'm sure the smart people here will be able to help out!

Congratulations on an adorable pup!

·
Now Caue's Dad Too!
37,489 Posts
Congratulations on the new golden puppy. He sure is a little cutie. I'm not a big fan of the pads. I think it is better to start from the beginning to take him outside for a few minutes on the schedule posted above. It is a bit of a pain but I think he will learn quicker.

Please make yourself at home here on GRF and be sure to let us watch your pup grow up by posting lots of pictures.

·
Registered
5,005 Posts
Puppy pad's won't work for long. Golden's get too big! And Pee too much!

Now is the time to get him trained for going outside on leash.

You may need to use crate training. Others are far better at describing this process than I am.

Gilmour used my Mom's Yorkie puppy pad at her house once a few weeks ago. It flooded the thing clean out LOL

·
Nancy
7,493 Posts
Welcome Home Jake! What a sweet little guy.

My Hank is 5.5 months old, he's a big guy now but can't believe he was that small just 4 months ago.

I don't have any experience with puppy pads. I've never trained a puppy to 'go' indoors. Is there a reason you're not taking him outdoor for potty? Those little puddles and poops are going to change to rivers and piles very quickly. You're not going to want that inside!

Hank eats Innova Large Breed Puppy food and he's doing very well on it. There are many good brands out there. Purina Puppy Chow wouldn't be my choice, but you can slowly start to switch him over to something else when you decide. I went to the pet store one day and read ingredient labels, researched on the internet and gathered information here on the forum. It can be mind boggling!!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts