Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Lauren
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone! :wave: My name is Lauren and my fiance and I just got out spot for our pick of our litter in March of 2012. We are getting a Male golden retriver. Half English Cream, Half American Golden. We are beyond excited and have already picked his name, (Bentley!) He will definitely be like our first child! Any tips for new GR owners?

Thanks!

·
Megan, Moose's Mom
746 Posts
Welcome! this site is really great for advice.. we are also new golden owners.. moose has been with us for 5 months.. one piece of advice i can give.. lots of toys! lol i like to think us having a wide section of toys is the reason all my furniture has its legs today!

·
Lauren
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks! I was wondering about that. I know they teeth. I will make sure I have PLENTY of toys for him so we keep our furniture and our SHOES in tact :p:

·
Registered
421 Posts
I believe there is a checklist somewhere on here about things needed for a new puppy. Bella has never chewed a shoe or the furniture, but she loves strands in the carpet. Bitter Apple is a lifesaver.

I suggest crate training your puppy. We've crate trained with great success.

·
Dr. Rainheart
5,563 Posts
Welcome to the forum! Make sure that your pup's parents (and the grandparents and even a few more generations back) have all of their clearances in order (Hips, elbows, eyes, and heart) are the basic 4 needed.

·
Registered
7,496 Posts
Congratulations on your soon-to-be addition! I remember how exciting it was to be waiting for our puppy.

As Rainheart said, be sure that both parents have a clearance for hips & elbows verifiable at www.offa.org with the parent's registered names. If they don't appear there, they don't have clearances and I would pass on the litter. Each dog should also have a heart and eye clearance. Often times you will be able to also view these on OFA's website but the breeder may have a hard copy to show you. Please, please check this as "english creme" is a marketing ploy used by some unsavory characters. Best of luck to you and your future puppy-- wherever you might find him.

My other advice is to begin training from the moment you bring him home. Don't let the puppy get away with things that are "cute" if you don't want a 75 lb dog doing them. :)

·
Registered
1,240 Posts

·
Lauren
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

:D Thanks. We LOVE the name Bentley! And, the links above are greatly appreciated. Im definitely printing them out!

As for the ofa clearances, I looked up the stud and he IS registered and cleared :)

Thank you for everyone's feedback--big help!

Im so excited for our new addition to our family!!!!!

·
Registered
7,496 Posts
:D Thanks. We LOVE the name Bentley! And, the links above are greatly appreciated. Im definitely printing them out!

As for the ofa clearances, I looked up the stud and he IS registered and cleared :)

Thank you for everyone's feedback--big help!

Im so excited for our new addition to our family!!!!!
Remember, mom needs to be clear as well as 3-5+ generations back.

Best of luck with Bentley.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts