Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone!! I am a new Golden owner of an 8 week old male name Cooper. My parents had a Golden before but I was in college when they purchased the dog so, I was not really there for the puppy stage.

So my question to everyone is: my dog itches behind his ear and left side of his body and bites his foot. He was given a bath this past Saturday (I forgot to mention I got him Saturday). Does he have fleas? How do you know when a dog has fleas? Now I was told to check the underbelly. I didn't see any there.

Please help a new owner!!!!

Ardis

ImageUploadedByPG Free1370388146.644149.jpg

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

·
Registered
991 Posts
Congratulations. You've come to the right place. (In addition to this forum, there's also a puppy-specific forum on here as well)

Have you had your first vet visit yet?

For fleas... you'll want to check with your vet on when the appropriate time is to start a treatment. If you want, you can pick up something called a Flea Comb for a few dollars at your local PetSmart, Walmart, Target, etc. It's like a comb, but very fine toothed. You run it through your puppies fur, and it will catch any fleas (if there are any). I run mine through Cassie every so often just to be sure. However... with fleas... in my experience, when you get 'em, you know. They'll start biting you, too.

My guess is that something else might be causing the itching. Maybe a bug bite from outside? When Cassie was that age, she got bit by some fire ants when she squatted to go potty. (I quickly got that issue taken care of)

Also, when he had the bath, it's possible that he may have had a bit of a reaction to the soap. I had that happen to Cassie before as well, although with her, it was all over her backside. And generally, puppy baths are with special puppy shampoo that is nice and gentle.

Can you have Cooper stay still (ha!), and let you investigate where he is scratching? You can check to see if there are red spots, or other signals. I'd imagine the area will be slightly red just from the scratching, but spots/bites will be a clue.

And... it could also just be an typical itch that we all get.

I remember when I first brought Cassie home. I was such a worry wart. This forum is a great place to find out information, but don't forget, so is your vet. I can't tell you how many times I called mine up to ask questions and to see what was wrong with my puppy. Thankfully, most times it was just my worrying. :)

·
Registered
36 Posts
First of all, beautiful pup - I've had my Jake for almost 16 years, wonderful dogs, you'll never regret it.

Second - Castaway can answer all you flea questions.

·
Registered
10,950 Posts
First of all--Cooper is a good looking little guy!

It's possible he has fleas... He kind of young for treatment, but like Castaway said, your vet can tell you.

Welcome to GRF! Use the search bar when you have questions--there is a LOT of info on here and you'll find answers to almost anything. Hope you'll keep posting pictures. We love pictures! :)

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you everyone. He has his first vet appointment next Monday. So, I will see then if he has fleas. at this time i have not felt any. However, I did use the Natural puppy shampoo. I am wondering if I didn't get all the shampoo out???? I am such a worry wort because this is like a kid to me. Lol it's been 10 years since I had a baby so, it takes some getting use to. I will let you all know what happens.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

·
Registered
991 Posts
Thank you everyone. He has his first vet appointment next Monday. So, I will see then if he has fleas. at this time i have not felt any. However, I did use the Natural puppy shampoo. I am wondering if I didn't get all the shampoo out???? I am such a worry wort because this is like a kid to me. Lol it's been 10 years since I had a baby so, it takes some getting use to. I will let you all know what happens.
I know the feeling. I was the same way with Cassie during her first year.

Cooper's first year will be a roller coaster. There will be lots of moments like this, where you wonder and worry. This forum is a good resource. We've all been there, done that, and there are many that are going through exactly what you are going through right now as well.

Always make sure to keep your Vet's number (and a 24 hour emergency vet number). I can't tell you how many times I called the emergency vet at midnight with some freak thing. Thankfully, each time, the e-vet said it was a "wait and see" kind of thing, and thankfully Cassie was just fine each time.

There will also be a lot of frustrations with house breaking, and training. A LOT of frustrations. Especially as the puppy goes through the equivalent of the teenage years.

Patience is the key. He will get it. It will just take time. And there will be so many wonderful moments. A golden retriever is one of the most amazing creatures ever. Get ready to have some fun. :)

·
Logan & Lacey in R hearts
1,812 Posts
What a cutie-pie. Just in case there might be some soap residue left on him, you might just give him a good rinse with warm water. Make sure you dry him completely. Not too soon to get use to the hair dryer, so put it on the lowest setting (for both the warmth and speed of the fan) and gently blow him. Just do it a minute or so at a time. Shut it off, fluff him with the towel, and do it again. Make it fun for him (well, as fun as it can be). Good luck.

·
Abby and Chewie's Mom
130 Posts
What a cutie! I agree with the others--he might be stressed or irritated from the soap.

It might be worth mentioning to the vet on your next visit, or a phone call if you can't wait that long. The vet might suggest something to soothe his skin or just give you some peace of mind.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts