Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there! My wife and I got our 8 werk old golden puppy yesterday, and the first 24 hours have been quite an adventure for our new pup. We're first time golden puppy parents, so I thought this night be the place to get some of those answered.

The first and most important question I have is temperament. Our new puppy is very calm and and curious, but she seems unsure of herself, and when we take her out for walks, she hides between our legs as much as she can (which often gets in the way of walking). How can we make sure she grows into a healthy and lively golden and not a timid dog?

She's not terribly interested in toys, and we've only just gotten her to grab a toy when we tossed it. Is this possibly just a product of the environment change, or are some retrievers just not interested in retrieving?

We're crate training her, and she has had 0 accidents in the crate, and only one in the house while we had a little play session, but otherwise we've been able to convince her to go outside and give her lots of praise when she does go.aside from frequent bouts of whining when she wants out of the crate, she's done superb. The bouts usually only last 10 minutes, and she's getting quickly acquainted to the new digs.

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
Congratulations! =). Sounds like your baby can really benefit from a puppy class! The socializing aspect for the next few months will ensure she gets appropriate experiences for her age! Enjoy! =). We love pictures here!

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

·
Kristy
9,299 Posts
Welcome to the forum!! New puppy adventures :) Love it! The most important bit of advice is that you must keep the camera out on the counter so it's available at all times :) Your puppy will grow so fast that she will look completely different in less than two weeks and if you don't take a bunch of photos every day you will be sorry. Some day those photos will mean the world to you.

Previous poster is right, if you haven't had a chance to sign up for puppy class yet, it's never too early to start researching and find one. The best places will always have their classes fill up quickly so you don't want to let this go. Ask your vet for his/her advice on when her shot schedule will allow her to get out around other dogs. A class is also a great place to meet other puppy owners, there is no better exercise for a growing puppy than roughhousing with another pup. You will want someone to set up playdates with. Once or twice a week can make a big difference in keeping her energy levels manageable.

Have you all had a chance to do any reading? "What do do before and after getting your puppy" by Dr. Ian Dunbar is a great resource.

Your new baby is just that, a tiny baby who has been picked up from her safe spot with mom and siblings and she is in a big, new world. It could be over a week till she starts feeling comfortable in her new environment. Try to keep things low key until you feel like she's feeling more secure. No loud visitors or wild children. Ask anyone who meets her to give her a tiny bit of treat - you just want all her new experiences to be positive.

She will be plenty interested in her toys when she isn't so exhausted. I bet the next day or two she will have more energy and you will start seeing her real self. She just needs time.

As she gets more settled, start having everyone you know drop by your house to meet her, the more people she meets the better. Get her out in your neighborhood to meet people. There are lots of places you can meet strangers who will help socialize your puppy, in front of a grocery store, Target, the Library, A kids dance studio, neighborhood school bus stop.

Don't coddle her with baby talk if she ever seems shy... act happy and confident to help her understand that you are not worried about any situation and she shouldn't be either.

Always have a pocket full of super yummy treats when you take her outside. Treats that are soft and tiny and easy to swallow, she should get one everytime she goes potty outdoors accompanied by lots of happy voice praise. Make sure she gets one everytime she goes in her crate also.

Start leash walking right away, give her treats as she walks along nicely with you. Something great to do is sit on the floor and hand feed her meals. It helps her learn that you are no threat to her food and teach her to take things gently out of your hands. There is a search feature at the top of the page on this site. YOu can plug in any term that you have a question on and it will bring up old threads on the subject. There is nothing you can run across with your puppy that hasn't been discussed here previously. "Help, puppy won't stop biting" "Landshark" "puppy crate games" " puppy schedule" etc. etc. Wonderful suggestions from people.

Keep her confined to a small area of your home, preferably without carpet, so that any accidents are easy to clean up. We always gate off the kitchen and spend all our time in there. If you can't focus your attention on her, put her in her crate so you don't miss potty signals. A bell on the door your want her to go out is a great tool. She will learn to ring it and you won't miss her cues (she will be much older until this is reliable though)

Oh, we need to know her and name - and you absolutely have to post photos of her!!!! Congratulations!!

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Welcome to the forum!! New puppy adventures :) Love it! The most important bit of advice is that you must keep the camera out on the counter so it's available at all times :) Your puppy will grow so fast that she will look completely different in less than two weeks and if you don't take a bunch of photos every day you will be sorry. Some day those photos will mean the world to you.

Previous poster is right, if you haven't had a chance to sign up for puppy class yet, it's never too early to start researching and find one. The best places will always have their classes fill up quickly so you don't want to let this go. Ask your vet for his/her advice on when her shot schedule will allow her to get out around other dogs. A class is also a great place to meet other puppy owners, there is no better exercise for a growing puppy than roughhousing with another pup. You will want someone to set up playdates with. Once or twice a week can make a big difference in keeping her energy levels manageable.

Have you all had a chance to do any reading? "What do do before and after getting your puppy" by Dr. Ian Dunbar is a great resource.

Your new baby is just that, a tiny baby who has been picked up from her safe spot with mom and siblings and she is in a big, new world. It could be over a week till she starts feeling comfortable in her new environment. Try to keep things low key until you feel like she's feeling more secure. No loud visitors or wild children. Ask anyone who meets her to give her a tiny bit of treat - you just want all her new experiences to be positive.

She will be plenty interested in her toys when she isn't so exhausted. I bet the next day or two she will have more energy and you will start seeing her real self. She just needs time.

As she gets more settled, start having everyone you know drop by your house to meet her, the more people she meets the better. Get her out in your neighborhood to meet people. There are lots of places you can meet strangers who will help socialize your puppy, in front of a grocery store, Target, the Library, A kids dance studio, neighborhood school bus stop.

Don't coddle her with baby talk if she ever seems shy... act happy and confident to help her understand that you are not worried about any situation and she shouldn't be either.

Always have a pocket full of super yummy treats when you take her outside. Treats that are soft and tiny and easy to swallow, she should get one everytime she goes potty outdoors accompanied by lots of happy voice praise. Make sure she gets one everytime she goes in her crate also.

Start leash walking right away, give her treats as she walks along nicely with you. Something great to do is sit on the floor and hand feed her meals. It helps her learn that you are no threat to her food and teach her to take things gently out of your hands. There is a search feature at the top of the page on this site. YOu can plug in any term that you have a question on and it will bring up old threads on the subject. There is nothing you can run across with your puppy that hasn't been discussed here previously. "Help, puppy won't stop biting" "Landshark" "puppy crate games" " puppy schedule" etc. etc. Wonderful suggestions from people.

Keep her confined to a small area of your home, preferably without carpet, so that any accidents are easy to clean up. We always gate off the kitchen and spend all our time in there. If you can't focus your attention on her, put her in her crate so you don't miss potty signals. A bell on the door your want her to go out is a great tool. She will learn to ring it and you won't miss her cues (she will be much older until this is reliable though)

Oh, we need to know her and name - and you absolutely have to post photos of her!!!! Congratulations!!
I feel like the entire breed should single-handedly thank you for your support. Terrific advice. We actually missed a potty signal earlier. We thought she was just whining from being put in the crate, but now that we know how she really acts in the crate I think we'll get better at catching it.

We've decided on naming her Penny. She is a sweetheart.

http://i.imgur.com/wnvrXnD.jpg

·
Kristy
9,299 Posts
We've decided on naming her Penny. She is a sweetheart.

http://i.imgur.com/wnvrXnD.jpg

Penny is a beautiful little girl ;) Please come back here and update us whenever you can, it's so much fun to share stories and progress and this forum has a lot of terrific people.

As for your kind words, thank you, but honestly some of my knowledge is experience and the majority I have learned on this forum. We have some trainers here who really try to stay on top of the latest positive training methods and if you try to pay attention to their posts, you can learn a lot. A couple of the ones I really admire are 'Solinvictus' who posted a welcome on this thread and also "Tippykayak" who you may notice posting around here also.

I can't emphasize enough how much you can learn just by reading through this forum when you have time. Your puppy will benefit so much and with an investment of time, effort and training for the first couple years you will end up with the dog of your dreams for hopefully the next 10 or 12 years.

Please post more photos of Penny when you have time - there are lots of us who need a puppy fix on any given day.... :)

·
Premium Member
2,126 Posts
welcome!! you'll find plenty of great advice on here & when Penny stars driving you crazy we don't mind a bit of venting.i agree as soon as your vet says it's ok find her a friend to play with a tired puppy is a good puppy.We do like pics lots of pics!

·
David-Ben & Jeris Dad
281 Posts
Penny is gorgeous! They are a lot of work at that age. You have gotten a lot of good advice so far..especially take pictures..they grow so fast!

·
Registered
10,950 Posts
Welcome to GRf! Penny is a great name for a cute little dog.

I think a lot of your quesitons got answered above... My major piece of advice is to remember she's a very little baby, and she's only been with you for a day. Her true personality and temperament will emerge in about two weeks or so when she understands that she's in a forever home. Right now just be very gentle, don't over comfort her (that would tell her that what she's afraid of is really scary), but just let her adjust at her own pace. She'll be bouncing around and chasing things very soon and then you'll wonder what you wished for! LOL :D

A very good book to read is Dr. Ian Dunbar's book on puppies. It's available for free download at DogStarDaily.com.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I've just gotten my first Golden, she's 9.5 weeks old. I did a good deal of reading before she came home. A book that really spoke to me was The Art of Raising a Puppy. I also like the PuppyInTraining.com blog.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I have already read The Art of Raising A Puppy, and I absolutely lived it. It really taught me how to communicate effectively with Penny. I've already taught her "sit" and "go to your crate" although she currently only listens when I have a treat in my hand. Good progress for only 3 days though!

Some negative behaviors are starting to come out already too, so I'll be working on correcting those quickly. A couple the monks mentioned, but the rest I'll search for here.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

1 - 13 of 13 Posts