Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone!

My family and i just got a golden pup, his name is Ash and he is now 10 weeks old. we are super excited and exhausted at the same time. WE have had him now for 2 weeks and were so grateful to have found this site!! So much great information here,look forward too meeting and chatting with you all.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Welcome! We just got our 8 week old two days ago. I totally understand your joy! How is the housetraining going? We are working on ours :). Is this your first golden?

·
Registered
2,112 Posts
Welcome to you and congratulations on your new boy Ash. I see you are from NJ. My son has been accepted to a college in NJ and we are pretty excited also.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank you all for you replies!! Yes this is my first dog EVER in my life! Never had a dog as a child but always loved goldens. so far so good i with housetraning, a few accidents but over all he is doing good. He can hold it for 4 hours at a time at night so were up twice a night..im thinking of pushing him to 5 hours this week ans see how he does.

Yes were live in NJ..LETS GO GIANTS!!!!!

We have been crate training him and it has gone well but i have a question..let me know if im doing something wrong please...he stays in his crate once we get him in, but the only way we can get him in is with a treat..so we give him a treat everytime we put him in..is that normal? will he ever learn to just go in on his own or with out a treat?

Also, am i leaving him in the crate to much??? Day starts at about 6am..we go out, eat breakfast and hes out until about 8 then i put him back in for 2 hours..then out for lunch, play, walk ect..back in for 2 hours..ects..basically i leave him in for 2 hours then out for 2 hours..bed at about 9..wake up at 1 and 5 then again between 6 and 7..should he be out more? when hes out we play with him, plays with his toys ect..just wantt o make sure im not traumatizing him..lolol

we are totally new to the dog world..

O yes and the nipping/bitting!! when will it end!!..lol

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
The biting, nipping will get better. When he gets crazy and is biting when you are playing you can turn your back t him. If he still continues (mine did) try leaving the room. He should make the association biting=no play. There are lots of threads on here about this subject. Since you are new to this, I'll mention that when he starts losing teeth, their gums bleed a little bit so don't be surprised if you find blood on a toy, etc. My husband freaked out when Bentley lost his first tooth and was playing with his white teddy bear. He thought he was just spontaneously bleeding. I can't give advice on crate training because we didn't do it, but I'm sure someone with experience will offer advice.

·
Registered
1,355 Posts
Congratulations on Ash. Hope that you are able to catch upon sleep soon. It is like having a new born in the house.

·
Premium Member
2,126 Posts
Welcome we'd love some pictires!! Good luck with the "shark phase" it's rough but it sounds like your on the right track

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
uploading help..

:(Can someone tell me if im doing something wrong.. i keep getting a server error message when trying to load pics?

·
Rudy's Lucky Dad
8,151 Posts
:(Can someone tell me if im doing something wrong.. i keep getting a server error message when trying to load pics?
Upload them to PhotoBucket. Create an account if you don't have one. Copy the URL of the pics, click the "Insert Image" button on the toolbar, and paste in the URL link from photobucket. Voila!

Congrats on your puppy!!:)

·
Rudy's Lucky Dad
8,151 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Im so sorry to hear that.. i pray for a full recovery and that he continues to be in good spirits..all the best..

1 - 20 of 25 Posts