Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,
New to this site. New to being a Golden Retriever owner! We brought our 7 week old baby Luna home this weekend. She is the absolute sweetest thing ever. The first day with her she immediately took to us, and followed us around. She had quite a few accidents (luckily only potty!) but with lots of positive reinforcement and TREATS she has gone from 7 accidents to only two yesterday!

We are crate training her, since we both work during the day. She only has a few hours at a time to be alone, since I work very close to home, and will be coming home at lunch to walk, feed and love on her!

She is struggling a lot with being in the crate. She loves to hear "good girl" and get loves from us. She will walk into, and sometimes even nap (with the door open) inside the crate, but as soon as the door closes, she starts crying hysterically. It is the most heartbreaking thing in the world for me and my husband. I know this is pretty normal, especially since she is so young. Hopefully joining this forum will help us with our puppy parenthood struggles!

Attachments

·
Mommy to Tucker
390 Posts
Hi and Welcome! You are right, she is just a baby and she will get upset when you leave her in the crate alone. However when she starts crying the best thing to do is to let her cry it out and do not give her any attention (Don't try to hush her or talk to her or baby her- and also don't yell at her or try to scold her) Just ignore her and as soon as she quiets down and stops crying immediately let her out of the crate and give her praise and treats... that way she will learn that by being quiet she will get attention and praise. If you give her any kind of attention while she is crying you are only reinforcing it and she will cry more.

Welcome to the forum... and please use the search feature at the top of the page... you can find thousands of posts on a lot of the same issues you are going through! Luna is adorable!!!

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks!

Thanks so much for the advice. Her first night we left her alone. Last night she had struggles and woke up a few times. I did take her out to go potty twice when she woke up, but then took her back to sleep. My husband went in and slept on the couch next to her at about 5 am today to get her to stop crying. I suspected that this would reinforce the crying.. I'll go ahead and give him a nice "I told you so" later and make sure we stay strong! Hopefully she will slowly get used to it! And yes, this site is AWESOME.

·
Registered
10,950 Posts
As goldenhopeful said, any talking or shushing will reinforce what she's doing. Keep in mind that she's really a baby. She's used to being around lots of warm bodies--her mom and siblings--and not used to being or sleeping alone. It would be really great if she could sleep (in her crate) in your bedroom. She could hear your breathing and sense your presence. Once she's used to being crated, you could move the crate out (or leave it in your bedroom).

She's a real cutie! Congrats, and welcome to GRF. :D

·
Mommy to Tucker
390 Posts
Well sleeping next to her on the couch isn't necessarily reinforcing the crying.. but just making her feel comfortable... maybe if you were to put her next to your bed that would help and she wouldn't cry at all... Also you could put an old (already worn by you) tshirt or some item of clothing in her crate so she has your smell...

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
And by the way- you're doing a great job... It's so hard to know what to do and what not to do :) You're going to be a great puppy mom!!!
thanks, i really needed that! we had another tough night again and ive been so upset all morning knowing shes having such a difficult time! this is such a new experience for us all-its really tough right now- i cant wait to start being able to enjoy each other more!

·
Owned by Josie
1,206 Posts
Not sure if you can do this or not, but I've always put my crate next to my bed. I've had great success with them sleeping through the night that way.

·
Super Moderator Leader
49,692 Posts
Congratulations on little Luna, she's beautiful.

Hang in there, it gets better and takes time.

She's a baby and is experiencing things for the first time.

I agree with keeping the crate next to your bed if possible, they take comfort in being next to their people.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Congratulations and best of luck on this hard first week. I agree with others that you are doing an amazing job. This is by far the hardest time for you and your pup. We've had many dogs in our time and are looking forward to our new addition later this Spring. We have always created or dogs next to our bed and in the first week, DH has been known to sleep on the floor by the crate next to them too! Usually this is a short time but I think it helps the puppies feel less alone. It is their first time away from their siblings after all. Ultimately they just want to be near you...

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

·
Registered
2,874 Posts
Oh boy oh boy oh boy Luna is ADORABLE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! What a CUTIE!!!!

Another couple of suggestions....start feeding her in her crate, if you haven't done so already. Also, teach her the many wonders of frozen kongs and give them to her only in the crate.

Fill it with mashed up bananas, yogurt, cottage cheese, peanut butter, make a mash of it with a tiny bit of kibble for body, put it in the freezer. When it's totally frozen and three minutes or so before you're ready to leave, put her in the crate with the frozen kong.

Test out what her tummy will tolerate well so she doesn't get an upset tummy.

Congratulations and best of luck with your golden! Max is my first and I adore him.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts