Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,

I had been lurking a bit and decided to join. I just got my very first golden last week. His name is Eli short of Elijah short for a ridiculous AKC name that I came with while attempting to include the kennel name :doh:

A little about myself...
I served one tour in Korea right out of high school and worked as an MP working with Belgian Malinois. These days I work as an emergency technician in Indiana while going to school part time to eventually go to vet school. In my off time when I had my dog I was active in the world of disc dogging as well as agility and Rally. I lost my last dog in August of last year he was an Australian Shepherd. This is the type of dog I grew up with, and coming into my own I began to realize that the temperment doesn't quite meet my lifestye. So about six months after losing my boy I began looking at different breeds.

I started doing research on the Golden, because though my job I meet a lot of pet parents who absolutely adore their goldens. Many of them swear that they will never own another breed. What sealed the deal for me was when I met a particular golden named Lincoln who preforms disc dog and agility. I got into contact with the local breed club and was referred to a field line breeder. This how I was matched with Eli.

So a few questions...
Eli has picked up on house training faster than any dog I've ever had. There has been 1 accident since he came home...he makes it all the way through the night no accidents. He sleeps all through the night as well. Is this normal for the breed? I'm in no way complaining haha, but it caught me off guard I remember growing up and training our aussies was a challenge.
Other question -- he is almost 10 weeks old...and Eli weighs in at 15lb this seems huge to me. Is he going to be enormous, or am I just used to a medium sized breed?

·
Registered
7,753 Posts
Welcome to the board new golden dad. Any chance of seeing a pic of Eli? Your avatar of him is very cute.

·
love my goofy goldens
2,431 Posts
Welcome to the forum! You will find lots of help here!

Your Eli sounds like the typical golden. Most are easily housebroken because they are so darn smart and want to please us. It helps if the humans are consistent so the dog gets the message.

Lucy was 13 pounds at 10 weeks (and is 57 pounds as an adult), so I don't think Eli's weight is out of line.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

Not sure if this will work, but this is the best picture I have that moment.

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
First of all, welcome! Murphy weighed about that much at that age, and I don't think he's enormous. He's almost 16 weeks now and weighs over 30lbs. They grow FAST. I would count your blessings that he's only had one accident, and that he sleeps through the night. I would definitely say you got lucky on that behalf. Although, Murphy potty trained rather quickly too, but not that fast. I hope you enjoy your new golden baby! Make sure you share pictures with us!

·
Registered
141 Posts
Maevis was about 14 pounds at 10 weeks. She is now about 48 at 8 months, so I think she is going to end up right around 55-60. Eli is a very handsome guy.

·
Registered
774 Posts
congrats and welcome! I've been here a short time and love it. Everyone is so helpful and nice.

My golden is Duffy and he was born on September 23 this year. Yes, he is big - 23 lbs at 13 weeks. And he also was housebroken very quickly and never has cried in his crate from day 1.

A very calm and sweet breed. He is also my first golden and I am so thrilled to have him.

Kris

·
Registered
976 Posts
Welcome!! He sure is a cute little guy! Lily was 15 lbs at 10 weeks too...but she definitely did not stay that weight for long...she's now 11 months old and nearly 70 lbs! Get ready for growth spurts!! Enjoy Eli's puppyhood and post pictures often! :)

·
They get it
4,446 Posts
Welcome to the forum! I hope you find this place as great as I do. Eli is sooo cute, can't wait to watch him grow up, and he will, quickly I'm afraid. Happy Holidays!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts