Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Milo's mummy
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone

I have had a golden before but we rescued him when he was 1 year and he was trained. I feel I am fully prepared for all the accidents, chewing, sleepless nights (basically not a perfect golden straight away!)

There is just a few things I would like to ask your advice on as there are so many different opinions.

What does everyone think of the bell training by the back door? So the dog learns to ring when it feels the need to go?

And other questions I don't feel 100% confident on what to do when the biting kicks in? I'm unsure how to react or what steps to do?

We bring our pup home on 1st march and are thinking of calling him Milo.

Thank you for reading :)

·
Registered
33,267 Posts
We love the bell because he wasn't 'telling' us before. Now he consistently rings the bell when he needs to go out. I like it because it means he is "feeling" the need AND know that "out" is where he's supposed to go. A real breakthrough for us.

When he ramps up the excitement to the point where toys won't distract him anymore, it's time out in his xpen. And he almost always falls asleep, indicating that he was too tired to make the right behavioral choices. He comes out sweet puppy again. And then gradually ramps up again. At first, he was getting 15 minutes of time outs almost every hour. Now, it's only a couple a day. We also xpen him while we're eating because he's rude and it's a useless battle to keep pushing him away. Pushing at them starts the pushing game and it never ends well for us.

Check out his thread:
http://www.goldenretrieverforum.com...year/257585-life-times-fitzwilliam-darcy.html

1 - 2 of 2 Posts