Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all...

I was looking up information and reviews about a breeder and came across this website. I am a member of a few other forums related to hobbies and work but it totally escaped me to look for a forum about Goldens.

I am currently in the market for a puppy, preferably a confirmed spot in an upcoming litter with a late Spring or Summer pickup. This is not a solicitation for breeders to contact me, just letting everyone know my current status.

I suppose I should write a little more about where I'm at. It always bothered me to leave just a "hey I'm here" message. When I was 13 we took in a Golden Retriever from a couple that had a newborn baby. She was a wonderful Golden, Lucy, and was well behaved and well trained. The gentleman was a friend of our family and his wife was not receptive to Lucy's interest in the new baby, which was certainly normal, not aggressive in any way. We took Lucy in and she became great friends with the couples boy on their visits, even helping to teach him to walk. I was very attached, however, and they decided to leave her with us. She died 9 years later at the age of 16. We had to have her put down because she had a stroke and could not move or digest food anymore. Even after the stroke, we were not home at the time, she used her front legs to drag herself through the dog door to ensure she was outside when she did her "numbers". She could not make it back into the house and could not move well anymore. My parents didn't want her to suffer and, as the vet told us that she would not be able to keep food down or digest it anymore because she was paralyzed from her chest down, he recommended to have her put to sleep. :(

Here we are, more than 10 years later, and I have a 13 y/o that is constantly in the neighbors back yard playing with their two dogs and their sons dog that visits often. We have decided to get a Golden puppy and guide him through the process of caring for and training him/her.

Yes, probably a little long, but the basics are out. Where I'm at now is researching breeders and getting feedback from others. I have been a lurker for a few days now and have realized that there is a lot of valuable information on this site.

·
Registered
5,035 Posts
Welcome! What part of NC are you from? my brother lives in Wilmington and we visit a couple of times a year. We have quite a few members in NC, so I'm sure that when you look for helpin choosing your puppy, someone will be able to help you.

·
They get it
4,446 Posts
Welcome to the forum! I hope you find it as fun as I do. Good luck on your search for a puppy, and post pictures when you bring one home.

·
Now Caue's Dad Too!
37,489 Posts
Welcome to the best golden site on the web. As you may have noticed we are a very active forum and love out goldens. You will find lots and lots of info here and if you don't find what you are looking for please do not hesitate to ask. I sincerely hope you find the golden puppy of your dreams soon. Going ten years without a golden had to be tough.

·
Kristy
10,251 Posts
Nice to meet you! You'll find this site is full of really kind and compassionate people who also happen to have lots of great insight into the world of dogs. I've only been here a couple months and LOVE it. Keep us posted on your research! BTW what part of NC are you from? I"m just south of Charlotte....

·
Registered
43,252 Posts
Welcome to the forum,
At the top left of the forum is a great information site for puppy buyers. A puppy buyers fact checker. I would look at the GRCA website for a puppy referral in your area.

Here are some past threads that talk of breeders good and bad. It gives a feel for what to look for.

http://www.goldenretrieverforum.com/showthread.php?t=55348&highlight=Breeders+North+Carolina

http://www.goldenretrieverforum.com/showthread.php?t=44962&highlight=Breeders+North+Carolina

About half way down this thread is a list of good breeders
http://www.goldenretrieverforum.com/showthread.php?t=57220&highlight=Breeders+North+Carolina

·
Super Moderator Leader
52,815 Posts
Hi,

Welcome, I live in NC too. I live in Cedar Point about five minutes from Emerald Isle.
I'm a volunteer with Cape Fear Golden Retriever Rescue based in Wilmington.

Enjoy the site!

·
Registered
8,990 Posts
Welcome from Georgia:wavey:. You have no doubt found a great group of Golden lovers here at GRF! Glad you joined us and I wish you great luck finding your new Golden Puppy!.

I am a long time dog person but in just the last 2+ years have I learned how great the Golden Retriever breed is after my friend Mr. Tuff Dog came to stay with me.

Al & Tuff

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I live near Harrisburg, not too far from Charlotte.

I'm glad I came here because I was able to learn about the regional representatives from GRCA that can recommend a breeder.

I was getting SO discouraged by breeders that I didn't care for and refused to support. I just don't see how someone can treat a dog as a business the way ranchers treat cattle. Even one that seemed nice and certainly charged a bunch had such a rude reply to a question regarding leaving the puppy with it's Mother until 9-10 weeks instead of 7.5 that they had mentioned in an email. I also had a prospective breeder from TN act appalled that I'm looking for a puppy around the late spring to summer time. This is for everyone's best interest because I get the entire summer off, minus a few weeks, to take care of the newborn puppy stage. Once I do pick a breeder I will make sure to post pictures and a review of the experience.

I have looked into a rescue dog and I'm very interested in this. For right now, I'm still looking for a breeder though. I wouldn't mind training the puppy for 1 - 1.5 years and then getting a rescue dog after I'm confident that the puppy is on the good path.

Because I'm not looking for a show dog necessarily, $1200 is pretty much my price limit. With initial vet visits, new toys, food, crates, I see the first couple months costing $2000+, and I'm confident that I can get a health cleared pup that has excellent pet potential in that price range. I've always been leery of those offering golden pups for under $700 on a regular basis. I was happy to see that I'm not alone when I read the how much did you pay thread. Frankly, it just costs that much to raise a pup from birth to 9 weeks, not to mention a little bit of profit.

I hope to find a good breeder with an upcoming litter before it's too late to get locked in for a spring to summer pup.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Nice to meet you! You'll find this site is full of really kind and compassionate people who also happen to have lots of great insight into the world of dogs. I've only been here a couple months and LOVE it. Keep us posted on your research! BTW what part of NC are you from? I"m just south of Charlotte....
nolefan... do you have any info on "Tanglewood Goldens"? I'm intrigued as they are so close that it would be an easy trip to head down and see them.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts