Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
313 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi :) Im Fransheska
Well im probably getting a golden puppy later this year and im pretty clueless so im in need of lots and lots of help lol
I have another dog, his name is Charlie, but i didnt have him as a puppy and hes pretty low maintenance.. my friends call him a cat lol hes really independent.

Well my boyfriend has a golden Named Tyler and i absolutely LOVE this dog, ive never met another dog like him, hes loving and always in your face and follows me around EVERYWHERE and is always ready to play, its just such a dramatic difference from my dog. And well ive done some research and decided that maybe im ready to add a golden puppy to my family :)

Oh and heres tyler:

its not a great picture, we just bought him a new crate and we were testing it out

·
Registered
2,464 Posts
Welcome to GRF! I couldn't agree more that Goldens are wonderful, wonderful companions and additions to a family! I don't want to sound like I am discouraging you from a puppy, but if you have any concerns that the work that comes with a "puppy" isn't for you then you might consider looking into adopting a rescue golden. I think I've usually leaned toward wanting the bonding that comes along with a young pup, but I'm gaining a very, very soft spot for the rescue stories I've been reading about here and I am looking forward to getting involved with my local rescue. I can see a lot of benefits to skipping the puppy stage and adopting a loving GR from a rescue in my future. Just an idea to look into since you've made a wise decision to bring a GR into your family :D I think it's awesome that you found this place before getting a golden lovebug! You'll learn so much here and be confidant that you are making a wise and an educated decision that will be perfect for you and your precious Charlie! He is adorable and that is a great photo you posted!

Keep us posted and look forward to seeing how things work out for you.

Tiffany

·
Registered
43,252 Posts
Welcome to the both of you. Your Charlie is a cutie and love his antennas. Your boyfriend has great taste in dogs also, that is one handsome pup. You can read all over the site a bunch of great info and we can help with any questions you might have.

·
Registered
2,296 Posts
Welcome to you, Charlie and Tyler. :wave:

·
3 goldens
11,789 Posts
Hello and welcome from the Texas coast. That is a sweet looking pair of dogs. The little guy looks so cute with his antennas. And naturally i find the golden beautiful! i hvea an 8 1/2 year old pure golden girl, KayCee, and a 6 year old adopted golden mix girl, honey.

·
Opus and Tasha
3,992 Posts
Welcome to the golden family.... you'll find lots of love here. Introducing any new dog into a family is a challenge.... and the first question might be "should you consider a young puppy or a rescue?"

There certainly is nothing like raising a puppy. But be prepared for about two years of working through issues such as housebreaking, teething, and basic obedience. And a golden retriever puppy needs a fair amount of exercise. A puppy will do a lot to revitalize Charlie's life. How old is your Charlie boy? Keep in mind that that golden puppy that starts off the same size and weight as Charlie will be a 50 pound puppy in a few months and in a year may be a 70 pound dog with the energy of a puppy. If your boyfriend's GR is a part of the extended family then that will help too.

If you aren't prepared for that sort of commitment you may want to consider a GR rescue. That doesn't mean that there won't be any issues to resolve when integrating a new dog into the family. But after the first few years the GR's tend to settle down a bit. And maybe the company of an adult GR will be enough excitement for Charlie.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts