Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, I really should and do know better but I did something foolish and we're now paying for it. Jenny is 11 weeks, in good health, vet checked, etc. We started her off with the food used by the breeder and she was doing well but through research and vet advice we decided to change her over to Origen yesterday. I KNOW this should be done gradually, but I overdid it by going 50-50 old/new for both lunch and dinner. (We've had her for several weeks )

She loved the new food. Her tummy is upset from the changeover and she's had loose stools ever since last night (it's just before 7:00 AM as I write this). She's acting fine, drinking, playing, etc. and now we're at breakfast time. What to do? With an older dog I might fast, but this is a pup. I can give her a little of the old food or some pumpkin (have the right kind) or just wait a couple of hours until the vet comes in. This is not a running stool. It's a food thing, we know.

Thoughts? Thanks!

·
Registered
355 Posts
I would probably adjust my mix to make it less new, more old than the 50/50. Another thing to consider is something I've read on here : Orijen is a very rich food. Although an awesome choice, a lot of puppies simply can't handle the richness. I hope it is fixed soon. It's hard enough to potty train without the runs.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

·
Registered
7,251 Posts
Orijen is a very rich dog food. Very high in protein. You do not say what the old food is, but I would go back to it. I have noticed that many puppies on the forum cannot handle the very rich, grain free foods. If you are determined to switch food, you might look at a formula from Acana, also made by Champion, which is more conventional than the Orijen line.

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hello everyone and thanks for your responses. I gave Jenny some pumpkin and we'll wait and see how it goes (or doesn't). She was/is on Kirkland Puppy. This is the third golden we've had in 20 years so we're not a stranger to the breed. We lost our Cara to hemangiosarcoma in November and through that illness we've heard a variety of opinions about the "best" way to ensure good health. We know so much of it is hogwash, but we are weighing the info as it comes our way.

While Cara was ill we took her to an wholistic/alternative vet practice in the area and while we couldn't accept all of her suggestions on improving the time Cara had left, we did follow many of her beliefs and when the new puppy came along we wanted to give her the best start possible. We have a primary vet who is wonderful and hasn't a problem with our visit to the alternative vet, as long as that practice isn't advocating eliminating vaccinations, etc., which it is not.

So, on the one had we heard that Kirkland is fine and dandy, while on the other we heard some really great things about Orijen and like brands and wanted to give it a try (wholistic vet's advice). Both are puppy. We were running low on the Kirkland, which is why I hoped the 50-50 might be okay and now we know it wasn't.

Other than wanting to eat more, Jenny is fine. I will not make this mistake again!

·
Registered
596 Posts
Hello everyone and thanks for your responses. I gave Jenny some pumpkin and we'll wait and see how it goes (or doesn't). She was/is on Kirkland Puppy. This is the third golden we've had in 20 years so we're not a stranger to the breed. We lost our Cara to hemangiosarcoma in November and through that illness we've heard a variety of opinions about the "best" way to ensure good health. We know so much of it is hogwash, but we are weighing the info as it comes our way.

While Cara was ill we took her to an wholistic/alternative vet practice in the area and while we couldn't accept all of her suggestions on improving the time Cara had left, we did follow many of her beliefs and when the new puppy came along we wanted to give her the best start possible. We have a primary vet who is wonderful and hasn't a problem with our visit to the alternative vet, as long as that practice isn't advocating eliminating vaccinations, etc., which it is not.

So, on the one had we heard that Kirkland is fine and dandy, while on the other we heard some really great things about Orijen and like brands and wanted to give it a try (wholistic vet's advice). Both are puppy. We were running low on the Kirkland, which is why I hoped the 50-50 might be okay and now we know it wasn't.

Other than wanting to eat more, Jenny is fine. I will not make this mistake again!
You can also try plain oatmeal or bananas. They are both high in fiber. Not a lot, just a tablespoon or two.

Reactions: Sivin

·
Registered
1,402 Posts
I put Grit on Orijen 6 fish when he was 10 weeks old and had big problems with loose stools. The Orijen people suggested Acana Pacifica as it is less rich and that worked well. A. Pacifica is the only all life stages food in their regional range. He has to have no grain, fish protein food as he has ichtyosis and this reduces the symptoms.
I should give your puppy the Kirklands only for now as he was good with it and gradually change to something else when he is a bit older. I do not know Kirklands as we do not have it here.

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I do not know Kirklands as we do not have it here.[/QUOTE]

Kirkland is the store brand of CostCo, a big warehouse store. The product is made by Diamond Pet Foods. My thought is to put her back on the Kirkland's as things return to normal and then try again.

·
Registered
1,402 Posts
That Kirklands does not sound too good. Still maybe keep her on it until things settle down and then try something else. Lots of people like Proplan for puppies and then change when they are older to something "better" when they can digest it properly. I can understand that you want to do the best for her, but loose stools for any length of time is not good either.

·
Registered
400 Posts
We transitioned our pup to TOTW pacific stream from the breeders kibble(breeder was feeding a costco brand venison / grain free) without any problems. Started 50/50 for 3 days, then 2/3's for 3 days. Spoke to vet and supplemented with small amounts of pumpkin. I stress here that we used small amounts, a teaspoon per day.

A word of warning on advice above - banana is a bad choice for feeding a dog with diarrhea. The reason that banana can help with diarrhea is related to bacteria not the case in the OP's situation. Banana would be terrible for her dog as it contains insoluble fiber which is exactly what you do not want. It is actually a natural laxative.

here is a link that explains why pumpkin in small amounts and not banana for dogs:

Dr. Jean Dodds' Pet Health Resource Blog | Pumpkin: Why is it such a popular treatment for diarrhea?

·
Registered
200 Posts
I put Grit on Orijen 6 fish when he was 10 weeks old and had big problems with loose stools. The Orijen people suggested Acana Pacifica as it is less rich and that worked well. A. Pacifica is the only all life stages food in their regional range. He has to have no grain, fish protein food as he has ichtyosis and this reduces the symptoms.
I should give your puppy the Kirklands only for now as he was good with it and gradually change to something else when he is a bit older. I do not know Kirklands as we do not have it here.
I'll second this suggestion... Baxter had loose stools on Orijen but he LOVES Acana Pacifica :)

·
Registered
998 Posts
Holly was on Orijen from her breeders. When I picked her up, she mentioned that she wasn't as happy with it as she had thought she would be, and would be switching to a less rich food for the puppy she was keeping. Holly's poop agreed... it was never solid. But as soon as I switched to Fromm 4-star line, it changed right over to a good poop. (I did add a spoonful of pumpkin, and did a 50/50 mix till I ran out of Orijen)

I don't doubt Orijen is a top notch food... but it's very rich, and not for all puppies. Every puppy is different, there have been some on here that have done well on it.

Like I mentioned, I transitioned Holly to Fromm's 4-star line. She's done very well on it. My other dog Cassie also transitioned from TOTW to Fromm, and she went from being a lackluster eater to an eager eater. I'm very happy with it.

·
Lisa
675 Posts
Holly was on Orijen from her breeders. When I picked her up, she mentioned that she wasn't as happy with it as she had thought she would be, and would be switching to a less rich food for the puppy she was keeping. Holly's poop agreed... it was never solid. But as soon as I switched to Fromm 4-star line, it changed right over to a good poop. (I did add a spoonful of pumpkin, and did a 50/50 mix till I ran out of Orijen)
Castaway, which Fromm are you on? I am considering switching Bailey to Whitefish and Potato, which they recommended as the best choice in the four-star line for sensitive stomachs. It got a very positive review on dogfoodadvisor.com.

·
Maddiegirl
124 Posts
My new puppy is on Orijen and doing well. I have mixed it in with her other food very gradually. It has been a week and she is almost on all Orijen. She loves it so much that she tends to leave the older kibble behind!
I really hoped I was doing the right thing by feeding my puppy such a good food. I get concerned when I read about the richness and the high protein. I thought I was doing good by her.
If she is having no problems, should I continue to feed her this food? All my vet told me to do was switch her to a large breed puppy food of my choice. I hope I did the right thing. I want her to be on quality food.
Her snacks have been mashed banana in her kong, frozen carrot sticks, and healthy edibles nylabone lamb and apple. She seems to enjoy her food so much.
Does all this sound ok?
Thank you for your advice.

·
Registered
998 Posts
Castaway, which Fromm are you on? I am considering switching Bailey to Whitefish and Potato, which they recommended as the best choice in the four-star line for sensitive stomachs. It got a very positive review on dogfoodadvisor.com.
That exact one.

Cassie was on TOTW Pacific Stream which is essentially fish and potato because she had a sensitive tummy (at least that's what we thought at the time). So I figured it would be a good start. She went from "meh" to excited when it comes to dinner time now. She really loves it, and looks forward to it. It's amazing because she's never been food motivated.

I really like the four star line because it's an all age formula, so it's appropriate for Holly as well. And as a bonus, one of the neat things is that the four star line is formulated so that you can switch to any of the flavors at any time without transitioning. I haven't, but it's nice to know I can treat my girls to a new flavor for a week and then go back to normal.

·
Registered
355 Posts
My new puppy is on Orijen and doing well. I have mixed it in with her other food very gradually. It has been a week and she is almost on all Orijen. She loves it so much that she tends to leave the older kibble behind!
I really hoped I was doing the right thing by feeding my puppy such a good food. I get concerned when I read about the richness and the high protein. I thought I was doing good by her.
If she is having no problems, should I continue to feed her this food? All my vet told me to do was switch her to a large breed puppy food of my choice. I hope I did the right thing. I want her to be on quality food.
Her snacks have been mashed banana in her kong, frozen carrot sticks, and healthy edibles nylabone lamb and apple. She seems to enjoy her food so much.
Does all this sound ok?
If she is having no problems, I wouldn't change her food again. If you switch often, you run the risk of upsetting tummies. Some puppies have no problem on rich foods, and others just can't handle it. But if she's not had runny poops, I'd recommend staying with this food

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

·
Registered
998 Posts
Does all this sound ok?
Orijen is a very high quality food, and if your dog is doing well on it, that is all that matters.

Every dog is different... So what is too rich for one is just right for another. It's just a matter of funding what works best for your dog.

It sounds like you are feeding her healthy snacks and good food. Just make sure to monitor her weight to make sure she isn't enjoying it too much :) and she'll do great.

·
Registered
93 Posts
We ran in to the same problem that we see again in this post. We were strong believers in Orijen which is a fantastic food from a great company. We started our GR 8 week old on Orijen and loose stools started almost immediately. As many have noted, many pups just can't handle the richness, unfortunately. We too made the switch to Fromm's large breed puppy with wonderful results. He is now almost a year old and and is on the four star. Good health...great coat.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts