Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

New Dog intro question

385 views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  vrocco1 
#1 ·
As some of you may remember I foster unwanted Goldens--I usually only have 1 foster at a time--but a local emergency came up this morning concerning a male--1.5--wonderful pedigree--un-neutered--get this--they kept him locked in the laundry room because he shed too much, yet they have no carpet.

To their credit the did at least call a rescue group for help and did not just dump him or turn him in to a kill shelter.

I managed the introduction to my 5 month old female just fine--she does not get fixed until next week (since I am not a serious show person or a show person at all--I have decided to NOT breed her--she is a pet). Although Julie was kinda of a B***ch about it all--he did what he was supposed too--smelled her bottom--then she sat down and did this nose in the air thing---no aggression--she is just being a little toot.

My problem is with my 4 yo 100 pound male-neutered foster--he almost broke out an entire sliding glass door when he saw the new foster on my porch. I don't tolerate unacceptable behavior from any dog--but I do have compassion since he has been in 3 homes in 3 months and seems to like it here bunches--(he does not know he is a foster)

I am very patient with these rescue dogs because they if they could talk they would probably be saying 'where the heck am I---and what is going on?"

I have made temporary arrangements with my grown daughter to take the 'big' dog (and my 12 yo son as a bonus) for the weekend--until I can hope to find a permanent foster or maybe a home (I am calling nice folks I have not seen in years)--too complicate this matter even further I have a Mom cat that my son drug home fat with baby--who has 3 kittens and in the mood to kill. ( I do not go out and get cats--they just move in--I swear)

If I had a large house--it would not be such a deal--no complaints--it just get s interesting at times---

My autobiography is going to called "Norma's Ark"...I am sure lots of you can relate.

I need some advice or feedback from those of you who might have been in similar situations--

I know 3 dogs and 5 cats can live in harmony (the cats rule of course)--but considering 2 of these are literally "dumped" dogs, bringing that issue with them any advice?

See less See more
#2 ·
Sounds like any normal day in my house. With nine GRs, things can get quite interesting. I have little compartments (not really, but I do have a kennel) to keep them separated when they get nuts. Maybe two need to go in the crate, while the other roams free. You can rotate them as necessary.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.