Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So my wife and I brought our first puppy home a few days ago--beautiful boy named Paxson. We'll share pictures soon. My question for now is what chewing toys are really safe for the pup? I hear folks using bully sticks and antlers. Are the bully sticks ok for pups? I always steered away from rawhide toys, but maybe wrong in doing so. What about the rolled up rawhide sticks? On the antlers, what kind are ya'll giving your pups? I have several extra caribou/moose antlers around I could cut into sections--just feared maybe too dense/hard.

Thanks,

Will

·
Now Caue's Dad Too!
37,489 Posts
Antlers and raw marrow bones are fine for pups. Make sure the marrow bones are 3-6" long. Those short 1" rings can get caught on the lower jaw. I always tried to keep a wide variety of chews, plush toys, rubber toys and nylabones around so they could pick what worked for them at the moment. Soaked and frozen toys are helpful too.

·
I ♥ Bailey and Annie!
1,785 Posts
Bailey loves marrow bones. They last forever also.

·
Nancy
7,493 Posts
Hank's been chewing on bully sticks since he was 8 weeks. He's now graduated from the 6" to the 12". Keeps him busy for awhile.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Hazel loves her antlers - it is the one thing she returns to over and over.

She also loves bully sticks but they turn her into a hoarding, furtive addict. She will take off with it and tuck herself into a corner with her back to us, every once in a while looking over her shoulder to be sure no one is approaching to take it from her. I find this troubling and when it's time to take it away, I trade her for a high-value treat (cheese wrapped in ham). I don't give her bully sticks very often because of this - only when I desperately need her completely occupied for 20 minutes or so.

·
Momma to angel Cody
5,044 Posts
Antlers should be fine for a pup, but I'd be sure to cut them at least 6" long. Nylabones are safe, but you need to get it started for the pup, either by letting another dog chew it a bit, or you beat it up with a mallet or hammer. Personally, I hate rawhide, as does my vet. The pieces that they tear off can swell in the stomach, causing lots of different gastric problems. My dogs have never liked Kong products, but some dogs are crazy for them, especially stuffed with some form of treats.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts