Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Titan1
2,353 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am putting this over here because this is where I hang out..lol.. We entered our 1st ever tracking test a couple weeks ago.. I let a friend talk me into it.Well we were 3rd alternate in the draw and I thought okay.. I tried and now I can ignore it for another year or so..LOL! Rhonda pm'd me right away and told me to hold on because she was pretty sure I could still make it in the test..complete panic set in at that point ..ROFL.. I did not enter the 3 day obedience trial here locally because I wanted time to panic if neccessary. As the weeks went on I kept getting notices that people were dropping out and I was suddenly #1 alternate..Suddenly I was dog # 6... Scared to death.. I tried to get Titan back to tracking. This is a dog who will not track my scent. He looks at me as if to say.. You are right there you nut! Plus we have little to no practice in wind. I usually gave up before we went too far because again he won't track me..
My facebook friends wished me luck (thank you) and off we went..

Wind was 30 MPH with gusts up to 40+.. #1 dog passed but I figured if anyone passed it would be her.. When we were certified she was already doing TDX work and that was months ago.. The next 3 dogs failed largely in part from the wind.. we were the last person to draw and we ended up with track #5..so we were next..into the deep weeds we go and I have to tell you.. I was running behind this dog. We were doing fantastic until I decided to rest halfway through..(okay I fell..lol) after finally getting myself up and Titan untangled because he thought it was great fun to have mom on the ground... we finished the track with very little hesitation. The last two dogs passed too!
Here are the specifics..
Track #5 , 460 yards, 4 turns, tall grass/ weeds and winds 30mph.. track time was 7 minutes and I swear 3-4 minutes was me trying to get untangled and back on track..ROFL.. I have included two pictures.. One is of Titan wearing and holding his articles and the other is the title picture..

Attachments

·
They get it
4,446 Posts
What an exciting adventure! Congratulations Titey pants! Breeze says "oh you big stud, you" all while batting her eyelashes!

Reactions: Titan1

·
Registered
2,611 Posts
How EXCITING! You are an awesome team! CONGRATULATIONS!!!!

·
Registered
8,164 Posts
and she spent the whole week telling me that Titan didn't know how to track in the wind! Now I want to do tracking too! Not with Flip yet though, I am still working on teaching him appropriate glove manners!

·
where the tails wag
13,384 Posts
What a great adventure :) Congratulations to you and Titan - whose looks great with a glove BTW

·
Registered
21,195 Posts
OH WOW I'm so impressed with you guys!!!! Way to go!!!!!!

·
Tracer, Rumor & Cady
10,683 Posts
So incredibly excited for you & Titan~~ You set such a good example!
Time to lay tracks for the blonde!!

·
Registered
926 Posts
Congratulations Michelle and Titan!

And Michelle, I believe Rhonda also told you not to worry about the wind because it has been my experience with Jake that he normally does better and weirdly enough goes even faster :)).

·
Barley & Mira's Mom
3,489 Posts
WOO HOOO!!! I have been waiting for this brag, and I LOVE the title picture! Everyone is absolutly beaming! Makes me want to do tracking, even if falling is involved! You are a great team in any venue you try, congrats!!!!

·
Titan1
2,353 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
WOO HOOO!!! I have been waiting for this brag, and I LOVE the title picture! Everyone is absolutly beaming! Makes me want to do tracking, even if falling is involved! You are a great team in any venue you try, congrats!!!!
Looking at the picture. The judge to the right of me... also has an Apollo kid! Her girl is 9 years old and is a CT. I was so proud of Titan and so was grandma Pat!

·
Titan1
2,353 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Congratulations Michelle and Titan!

And Michelle, I believe Rhonda also told you not to worry about the wind because it has been my experience with Jake that he normally does better and weirdly enough goes even faster :)).
Yes you did and thank you very much!
It was cold yesterday and I am still shocked on how well Titan tracked..
I was runnning and trying to keep my footing in the weeds..If he wasn't going like a freight train I would have been able to catch myself but he pulled me right off my feet....but there are worse things than that.

·
Barley & Mira's Mom
3,489 Posts
That is sooo cool! She does look especially happy!

PS I am glad you posted here, because this is where I hang too!

·
Titan1
2,353 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
So incredibly excited for you & Titan~~ You set such a good example!
Time to lay tracks for the blonde!!
Mary .. Go get em.... It was still something I will do with all my dogs now.
We sure a great time and the people were so nice!

·
Registered
8,164 Posts
Tdx! Tdx! Tdx!

·
Titan1
2,353 Posts
Discussion Starter #15

·
the party's crashing us
4,283 Posts
Congrats Michelle & Titan! Great story. What are you guys wearing those parkas for??? Looks COLD! :) Way to go!

·
Registered
8,164 Posts
Congrats Michelle & Titan! Great story. What are you guys wearing those parkas for??? Looks COLD! :) Way to go!
That's what I'm saying, it's in the 80's here today!

·
Titan1
2,353 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
It was FREEZING... lol.. okay so we are used to warmer weather yet. The wind was about 30mph and the temp was around 40 ish and felt like snow..We were all freezing. I swear if there was one more layer I would have never made it up..LOL!

·
Registered
4,905 Posts
Congrats Titey pants and Michelle!!! Another team with "what else can we do" and "can't stop 'em" attitude!

I think Teddi could be AWESOME at tracking. She has such a great nose and LOVES to have it on the ground. However, I have no time or space to train her. I doubt she would pick up the articles. Not sure they have to, don't they lay down at the articles?

Anyway CONGRATULATIONS!!!!!

·
Titan1
2,353 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Congrats Titey pants and Michelle!!! Another team with "what else can we do" and "can't stop 'em" attitude!

I think Teddi could be AWESOME at tracking. She has such a great nose and LOVES to have it on the ground. However, I have no time or space to train her. I doubt she would pick up the articles. Not sure they have to, don't they lay down at the articles?

Anyway CONGRATULATIONS!!!!!
In the TD.. Titan is wearing the start article (the scarf) and the glove was the end.. He just has to indicate the article so you see it..I think..Titan gave his a little shake at the end as if to say .. so take that!

1 - 20 of 25 Posts