Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys
What are your experiences of having a baby (human) enter into the mix with an adult golden?
I have a very gentle but daft red golden and my wife is expecting our 1st.
PS, he was great when I fostered kittens and get along with my 3 cat.

·
Registered
3,700 Posts
My first Golden was our spoiled only child until we had our first baby. Hubby brought a t-shirt the baby had worn home from the hospital to give her a sniff. She was pretty unhappy about being displaced even though we tried to still give her lots of attention. She basically didn't want anything to do with our daughter and would move away if she crawled near. If our daughter touched a dog toy Honeybear acted like it had been contaminated. I was shocked when someone brought her toddler over and Honeybear let that kid crawl all over her. She never growled or showed any aggression, just didn't like her. When we brought our son home from the hospital, she sat with her back to me and wouldn't even greet me. Clearly she was thinking I can not believe you have done this again. She did eventually seem to like my son. I don't think that is how most Goldens respond to babies. I've heard some sweet stories of love and devotion to babies. Rukie loves the grandbaby IMG_20190322_131513.jpg

·
Registered
907 Posts
Close supervision and teach them to be gentle. Goldens, in general, are usually good with kids. Luke adapted to my first grandchild pretty well. I just needed to show him he was still just as loved. I'm sure you will figure it out once you see how yours does.

·
Super Moderator Leader
45,309 Posts
Most likely your boy will be good with your new baby, but you want to be sure he's supervised with your little one-always........ never leave your little guy and dog unattended ever, especially as your baby grows and starts crawling then walking.

It's really important to teach young children to be gentle with dogs, no climbing on them, no pulling of their ears, tails, etc. Not to stick their fingers in their eyes, ears, nose or mouth.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Close supervision and teach them to be gentle. Goldens, in general, are usually good with kids. Luke adapted to my first grandchild pretty well. I just needed to show him he was still just as loved. I'm sure you will figure it out once you see how yours does.

Love the picture. Perfect

1 - 6 of 6 Posts