Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

NEW AT THIS!

698 18
HI! I don’t post often on this forum but wanted to let you all know how helpful this forum has been as I start my journey. I recently started doing some field training with my boy. To get this part out of the way, he is neutered and won’t be used for breeding. He is not exactly what someone would call a well bred boy, and shamefully I didn’t do my research. Lesson learned. But here he is and I love him and will give him the best and happiest life that I can. I was introduced to this world through a local golden retriever club and have fallen in love with it. I was able to volunteer for a hunt test and I was hooked. Met some wonderful people and friendships are forming. I went to the club’s next training day and learned so much, but know I have so so so much more to learn. I’ve been working with him on my own as much as I can. For now I am working with what I know, although I am sure I am doing something wrong. Anyway, just wanted to introduce my Sammy boy and hope to show you some successes in the near future! My main goal is too have some fun with my boy. I would love to be able to get a SH title, but obviously my goal now is JH so I’m focusing on that. MH at this moment is way over my head, but it’s all a learning process so hopefully you will hear differently from me at some point.😂. Any tips and advice are welcome! Photo credit: Sara Morrow
Dog Dog breed Carnivore Companion dog Grass
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Super Moderator
3,223 Posts
HI! I don’t post often on this forum but wanted to let you all know how helpful this forum has been as I start my journey. I recently started doing some field training with my boy. To get this part out of the way, he is neutered and won’t be used for breeding. He is not exactly what someone would call a well bred boy, and shamefully I didn’t do my research. Lesson learned. But here he is and I love him and will give him the best and happiest life that I can. I was introduced to this world through a local golden retriever club and have fallen in love with it. I was able to volunteer for a hunt test and I was hooked. Met some wonderful people and friendships are forming. I went to the club’s next training day and learned so much, but know I have so so so much more to learn. I’ve been working with him on my own as much as I can. For now I am working with what I know, although I am sure I am doing something wrong. Anyway, just wanted to introduce my Sammy boy and hope to show you some successes in the near future! My main goal is too have some fun with my boy. I would love to be able to get a SH title, but obviously my goal now is JH so I’m focusing on that. MH at this moment is way over my head, but it’s all a learning process so hopefully you will hear differently from me at some point.😂. Any tips and advice are welcome! Photo credit: Sara Morrow View attachment 898002
Lovely, what a beautiful photo 😍

·
Registered
3,502 Posts
I would love to be able to get a SH title, but obviously my goal now is JH so I’m focusing on that.
Judging from the attitude I see in the photo, your dog is capable of attaining an MH title.

Be consistent, teach and train on concepts.

Discount on training programs right now

20% OFF ALL REGULAR PRICED ITEMS NOW 'TIL DECEMBER 31
USE PROMO CODE HOLIDAY20 AT CHECKOUT

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Judging from the attitude I see in the photo, your dog is capable of attaining an MH title.

Thank you so much! I just ordered! I had this on my wish list. So excited to dive in, learn and get to work!

·
Registered
1,797 Posts

I already have 1-3 of Lardy's stuff. What else is good?

·
Registered
3,502 Posts
I already have 1-3 of Lardy's stuff. What else is good?
Do you mean volume 1-3?

“Total retriever, training” and “total retriever marking” are very good.
There is good information in all of them. Among field trainers, Lardy is widely considered the gold standard.
Training with successful Field trial competitors has helped me more than anything else.
I have never been to one, but various pros will put on seminars. Everyone I’ve talked to said they are always very beneficial.

·
Registered
1,797 Posts
Do you mean volume 1-3?

There is good information in all of them. Among field trainers, Lardy is widely considered the gold standard.
Training with successful Field trial competitors has helped me more than anything else.
I have never been to one, but various pros will put on seminars. Everyone I’ve talked to said they are always very beneficial.
Do you have total retriever marking? I was interested until I read this review awhile back Lardy: Total Retriever Marking

·
Registered
1,797 Posts
Yes, I have it and need to watch it again. There is no problem with the audio that I recall.
I’ll watch some of it again tonight and tomorrow.
I’ll lend it to you if you’d like.
Oh thanks, I appreciate it but the mail is so unreliable I'd worry they'd destroy it, doesn't help that my mail guy haaaaates me because he got stuck in our (well plowed) driveway one winter. (Somehow that's my fault?) If it's worthwhile I can order it during the sale, I was just worried when I read the review that said the audio is bad. If it's not, maybe they got a bootleg copy or something and that's why they couldn't hear it well.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
Do you mean volume 1-3?

Do you know if Mike Lardy’s Total Retriever Training walks you through the steps of FF? I was also considering Evan Graham’s Smartfetch as I heard it was easy for a newbie to follow.

·
the party's crashing us
4,809 Posts
I would also recommend Rick Stawski's Fowl Dawgs DVDs. Most user friendly I feel.
Graham is very dated and difficult to follow I feel.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I would also recommend Rick Stawski's Fowl Dawgs DVDs. Most user friendly I feel.
Graham is very dated and difficult to follow I feel.
In my preparation for volunteering for the hunt test, I was watching YouTube videos to get prepared and know what to expect. I watched one where you were featured/interviewed. It was neat to put a face to the name!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts