Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello :)

My family and I were considering adding another pup to the family ( my parents didn't want to adopt.. no matter how much I pleaded). What are the pros and cons of a two dog household? Lucy will be around 7 months if we decide to go through with this. How do we make the meeting and transition go smoothly? She's never shown any aggression towards other dogs and seems to like playing with them. Thank you all :)

·
Registered
2,174 Posts
Nygel was about 8 mos old when we added 10 week old Razz to our household. With Razz being a couple of weeks older definitely made a difference as a puppy grows/matures so quickly @ that age.

We made sure that Razz was "protected" from Nygel by putting him in an x-pen while outside. This way he wouldn't be unintentionally trampled by Nygel as he ripped around the backyard. We would wait until Nyg was tiring & then let Razzy out to follow Nygel. By this time, Nygel was ready to just play quietly with Razz.

Although it's wonderful to have (2) dogs who can play together & entertain themselves, remember that it can be more than double the work and can sometimes create issues that you won't have with one dog. For instance, friends/family might be willing to look after one dog but two :doh::bowl::bowl::uhoh::doh: might be a problem. Twice the cost for vet bills, food, toys , twice the amount of time to exercise, walk, groom two dogs, and replacing those socks/tights/pantihose that the two have played tug of war with ;)

Reactions: FirstOwnerofLucy

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
We've decided to go ahead and bring the fluff ball into our family... He will be arriving around late January :)
Any tips for helping the transition and making sure the two pups get along? :) Thank you all!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts