Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
774 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As a puppy Summer wasn't really fond of her kong.. she would get bored and not finish it and walk away. Half a day later I'd find it with the stuff all gross..

At the advice of RedDogs, I set about the task and helping her learn to enjoy her kong by making it easy - dry kibble (so that it fell out easily), then canned dog food, then freezing it with canned dog food. She was so lazy that I had to freeze it upright so that the food would be right at the entrance or she would give up..

Now she gets a kong everyday for lunch while i'm at work and she always finishes it up. Recently on a off day I got to watch her at it - she worked on it for 1.5 hours!! Taking only short water breaks in between and to readjust her position..

Here are some of her favourite (and easy) recipes, all are made frozen:

-boring ol' canned dog food
-her kibble coated in peanut butter and frozen
-4 tablespoons of oatbran (the gooey stuff is an awesome base!) with a tea spoon of peanut butter melted in
-oatbran with a few "treat" kibbles (samples that we get, not her usual food) mixed in
-oatbran with shredded chicken
-oatbran with large fish treats stuck in it

I like the oatbran as a base because it freezes nicely, smells good and is hard enough but not too hard for her to extricate from the kong.. and the fibre makes for good poop.

the latest one I made her which i got a huge kick out of was a meatball kong :D we had soup leftovers so i saved a few meatballs and carrots, washed off the oil and stuffed them in the kong, filling up the gaps with oatbran. She loved it!! and I loved watching her enjoy it..

Do share your favourite ideas so others (and we) can try them out!! :)

·
Registered
65 Posts
Riley's favorite:

Mix kibble with a little peanut butter, layer the kong with this mixture plus banana chunks and cork the top with a piece of banana.

Or use pumpkin instead of the PB...

We are always looking for new ideas for the kong, thanks for posting yours...

·
Knife Swallower
6,783 Posts
Here's my recipe - complete with pictures! Note that I use kongs not only quiet time, but also to put some weight on my guy which is why I use high-calorie kibble.

First, ingredients: kibble, something mushy - pumpkin this time, but mashed bananas or applesauce also works, stinky soft cookies, and peanut butter.

Everything measure out - I use an XL red kong so I can wedge more food in it and Ranger doesn't chew on it, just licks the inside.

Then the stinky cookies go in first so the dog keeps working away and trying to get to the stinky good part. Some dogs don't need this step; it's primarily for the dogs who give up halfway through de-stuffing. I like to keep it interesting for Ranger, though. So Mr. Smiley Face says "bye-bye" as he gets dropped into the kong.

Then I mash up the squishy mushy stuff with kibble, as opposed to putting it in layers i.e. kibble first, the pumpkin on top. Keeping the mushy stuff mixed in with the kibble gets the whole thing to freeze solid instead of only having the pumpkin freeze and then the kibble being able to roll out loose on the pumpkin's been licked away.

Spoon it in:

A smudge of peanut butter on top - I don't like to put peanut butter all the way down the kong because it makes cleaning the kong later a real PITA. Plus, I'd rather Ranger get his calories from kibble than too much peanut butter.

Then I wedge another stinky treat in:

And stick it in the freezer! I always have two kongs so one can be "in use" and the other is ready to go. The longer it stays in the freezer, the longer it'll take for it to get de-stuffed. With all the stinky bits in it, the dog won't give up!

And of course, then it's clean up time:

And that's it! Ranger is a pro kong-destuffer but these last him UP to 90 minutes IF they've been frozen for a day or two. Anything else isn't worth giving it to him since it'll be gone in 20 minutes or less. Sometimes I wedge massive cookies in them (the second kong in the freezer had that) to make it tricky for him but even then he can de-stuff within 90 minutes.

I gave a kong to my brother's dog when he was over and it took him 3 hours! He usually gives up within 20 minutes if it's too hard but he kept at it and at it...after it was finally licked clean, he went and napped for 2 hours. Success!

·
Registered
774 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ranger - love that idea!! I'm gonna try it. Simple and sweet (and savoury)!! :)

We're still using her large puppy kong. I should invest in a bigger one for her. Wonder if her tongue is long enough?

·
Knife Swallower
6,783 Posts
Loved the pics. And the stinky-treat-men! What kind are those?
Those are Buddy Biscuits! They have hard and soft cookies and I get such a kick out of the little gingerbread men...they make me act like a child. I bought mini hard ones last summer and then around Christmas, I found one in my jacket pocket unexpectedly and it made me laugh and laugh. It's so silly but I can't help buy them because of it! Not only that, but Ranger LOVES the soft ones because they are STINKY. Bacon & cheese are his favourite!

Ranger - love that idea!! I'm gonna try it. Simple and sweet (and savoury)!! :)

We're still using her large puppy kong. I should invest in a bigger one for her. Wonder if her tongue is long enough?
I'd definitely switch to the adult kong (the red or black) even if you stick with a Large size...the puppy one won't stand up to chewing by adult teeth. Her pita pata says she's a year and a bit? She could potentially chew it to pieces and swallow them. She probably won't, but it's not worth the risk. Either Large or XL... for sure her tongue can get all the way down there! Even if she has to smush her top lip/nose against the top like Ranger does! Let me know if she likes it! I just did another one for Ranger so he can have it tomorrow afternoon for Easter but used banana and cookies since I'm all out of kibble.

·
Registered
3,393 Posts
with the bigger kongs, you can wedge a hard boiled egg in (deshelled) without cracking it apart...that provides a different challenge.

Ranger.... you had too much fun with those pictures!

·
Knife Swallower
6,783 Posts
I love the hardboiled egg idea. That is going to happen today! Ranger just found me ANOTHER kong outside buried in a snowbank. Our total is now 3 XL and 2 Larges...where the heck are they all coming from!!

Haha, I did have too much fun doing the pics! A friend asked me how I stuff Ranger's kong so I put these on FB and showed her and that's how it originated...I swear!

·
Registered
774 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I love the hardboiled egg idea. That is going to happen today! Ranger just found me ANOTHER kong outside buried in a snowbank. Our total is now 3 XL and 2 Larges...where the heck are they all coming from
Aww Ranger, send us one!!! ;)

I sorta know about chewing dangers etc - except this is my same dog who has NEVER chewed anything apart EVER. I know I should never say never though :( Not a stuffy, not a hard toy, not a kong, not a sofa cushion.. NOTHING!! Lol.. *runs and hides before all the owners of destroyers come clobber me* I guess I will be getting her a new red kong soon!

·
Knife Swallower
6,783 Posts
I'm amazed I have 3...I've bought around 10! Ranger went through a very annoying phase of dropping them down the air vent of our last house. The first time was an accident; he dropped it, it took a funny bounce and went down and we could hear it boing and boing and boing until it stopped. What happened with the second kong? Ranger took it RIGHT to the vent and dropped it in on purpose. Sigh. I then covered the vent, and next time, Ranger dragged the vent cover OFF the vent to drop a THIRD one down there!! I eventually duct taped the vent to the wall to keep it covered and prevent further kongs from disappearing into No-Kong's Land.

·
Registered
1,918 Posts
You know, I have never given Katie a kong. I did not even know about them prior to this forum ... but after this thread (and the great pictures courtesy of Ranger!!!) I think I am going to invest in a kong (or 2) and have at it. Katie would be the happiest girl alive.

thanks for constantly inspiring me :)

Kim

·
Knife Swallower
6,783 Posts
PLEASE take pictures of Katie and her first kong! She'll be so happy!! I'd recommend not freezing it the first time so it's a little easier to de-stuff while she figures it out. Or at least, not freezing it for a week like i do with Ranger's. I'm sure she'll figure it out quickly, though!

·
Registered
774 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
You know, I have never given Katie a kong. I did not even know about them prior to this forum ... but after this thread (and the great pictures courtesy of Ranger!!!) I think I am going to invest in a kong (or 2) and have at it. Katie would be the happiest girl alive.

thanks for constantly inspiring me :)

Kim
Yay for Katie!!! Can't wait to hear about it :) Canned dog food could be a real first treat for your baby who is sooo used to wonderful healthy cooking!! :D

·
Danielle
659 Posts
Milo has only had a kong once or twice and didn't like it. It had peanut butter and yogurt mixed together and frozen in it. He licked it for about 5 minutes and gave up. After seeing Rangers pictures I got right off of the forum this morning and made one for him because I knew we had a can of pure pumpkin.

It has been an hour and a half and he's still going at it strong! I'm so excited! I will start making these daily for him. Thanks for the idea Ranger!

·
Registered
25 Posts
I usually freeze it with pumpkin puree for about 30 minutes. The pumpkin seems to be his second favorite treat after bil-jac liver treats. Occasionally I put his dry food under some puppy kong squirty stuff (technical name) and freeze it. It makes lunch go from 30 seconds to 2 minutes :)

·
Love my Golden Boys!!
7,057 Posts
My guys aren't too big on kongs so I use hallowed out marrow bones and just refill and and freeze them. Once they start getting gamey and stinky, I toss them out and get them new ones.

Their favorite mixture is peanut butter and banana. I also use pure pumpkin and applesauce or plain yogurt. They also enjoy sweet potatoes mixed with cream cheese or cheeze whiz. Cheerios mixed with peanut butter is another concoction I've used. Fruit mixed with yogurt/applesauce is another yummy one.

·
& Golden Roxy And Roo To
2,023 Posts
As a puppy Summer wasn't really fond of her kong.. she would get bored and not finish it and walk away. Half a day later I'd find it with the stuff all gross..

At the advice of RedDogs, I set about the task and helping her learn to enjoy her kong by making it easy - dry kibble (so that it fell out easily), then canned dog food, then freezing it with canned dog food. She was so lazy that I had to freeze it upright so that the food would be right at the entrance or she would give up..

Now she gets a kong everyday for lunch while i'm at work and she always finishes it up. Recently on a off day I got to watch her at it - she worked on it for 1.5 hours!! Taking only short water breaks in between and to readjust her position..

Here are some of her favourite (and easy) recipes, all are made frozen:

-boring ol' canned dog food
-her kibble coated in peanut butter and frozen
-4 tablespoons of oatbran (the gooey stuff is an awesome base!) with a tea spoon of peanut butter melted in
-oatbran with a few "treat" kibbles (samples that we get, not her usual food) mixed in
-oatbran with shredded chicken
-oatbran with large fish treats stuck in it

I like the oatbran as a base because it freezes nicely, smells good and is hard enough but not too hard for her to extricate from the kong.. and the fibre makes for good poop.

the latest one I made her which i got a huge kick out of was a meatball kong :D we had soup leftovers so i saved a few meatballs and carrots, washed off the oil and stuffed them in the kong, filling up the gaps with oatbran. She loved it!! and I loved watching her enjoy it..

Do share your favourite ideas so others (and we) can try them out!! :)
I thought oatbran was a dry ingredient? Is that what your using and maybe wetting it for the base?

We use mostly pumpkin mixed with bananas, kibble and or assorted treats like Rangers Mom does. In summer I add other fresh fruits because Roxy seems to like any and everything fruit related. Sometimes Ill add some water to the whole mix to make it freeze more.

·
Registered
774 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I thought oatbran was a dry ingredient? Is that what your using and maybe wetting it for the base?

We use mostly pumpkin mixed with bananas, kibble and or assorted treats like Rangers Mom does. In summer I add other fresh fruits because Roxy seems to like any and everything fruit related. Sometimes Ill add some water to the whole mix to make it freeze more.
Oatbran - I follow the directions on the package to add hot water. Sometimes I add a little more than stated to make it more gooey.. works great! :)

1 - 20 of 27 Posts